3D Printing printer advice

cactikid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
at the moment i am using a hp printer but never get any life off the cartridges,maybe used twice a month to print out invoices and statements and last time i changed both was april 2017 to print out free admission ticket to local ideal homes show.
no way would i have printed more than 60 pages on paper and now again find colours are not there and no black again.
so are all printers like that if not used for a certain time line?
this is for light home use.

Hi, i think as you are not using that often, the ink is drying out in the print heads. If the actual cartridges were empty then the printer will tell you to change them. also generally when you turn the printer on or off it uses ink to clean the print heads. most printers are like that, maybe get a printer with individual inks that may be a better option if your not using the printer much. hope that helps.

If you don't need colour then get a cheap mono laser printer. You don't have the problem of ink drying on the print head if it's not used. Plus any laser printer would be much cheaper to run than an inkjet.

With HP printers usually the head is part of the cartridge, if it is you can use a lint free cloth to wipe it over using some surgical spirit or ISO alcohol. it should dissolve any dry ink.

I bought an old refurbished office HP Laserjet 4300 from ebay, it costs £50 and the toner costs £6 and I get over 18,000 pages from it, in 2400 DPI printing disc labels. Very fast and very cheap to run.

For colour I have a Dell 1750 which has 4 seperate colour toners, it's £15 for a full set and I get over 1500 pages.

I used to have an Epson inkjet and was going through compatible carts for fun, way more expensive to run.

I agree with Captain, I use a samsung black and white laser printer. I might go 6 months without printing anything, but always fine when I need it.

thanks guys yes i have a bottle of fluid nearby to wipe the heads when needed,multi inks sounds interesting.

Back