Power to wall mounted tv

robc11

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking at mounting my tv on a dry lined wall. I'm wanting to hide the cables in the wall but I understand I cant run an extension lead in the wall. What's the best way round this without having to run it in trunking

Run a length of 2.5mm twin & earth(should 6mm now with todays regs,but will be suffice) from your nearest double socket...

Cheers override that was my other thought but the closet double socket is on the adjoining wall and i would probably have to rip apart the wall to run the cable. Looks like I may just have to stick to the trunking don't fancy ripping the walls apart as the house is only 18 month old.

I had something similar but dropped the feed in about a meter of trunking from the ceiling (I had already took a socket up into the loft from an earlier job)

Ive just had a thought i could fit a junction box in the loft because the ring main is ran up there and drops down to the sockets, its just a case of getting the 2.5mm down past any dot and dab. Also another thought is just extending the ring main to the socket position

Ive just had a thought i could fit a junction box in the loft because the ring main is ran up there and drops down to the sockets, its just a case of getting the 2.5mm down past any dot and dab. Also another thought is just extending the ring main to the socket position

That would work m8

Just another few questions I have already spurred from a socket on this ring to a fused spur to supply a security light. Think I'm going to do it the junction box way is this ok still considering I have already spurred from this ring. Also with it being a fairly new house where do I stand on getting this tested to keep on the right side of the regs, just want to keep things right

be aware that to do what you are suggesting requires a fully qualified part P electrician to either do the job or to check it after installation.

Run a length of 2.5mm twin & earth(should 6mm now with todays regs,but will be suffice) from your nearest double socket...

Bit slow off the mark on this one...but my regs say 4mm and only if the spur is a double otherwise 2.5mm is fine!

be aware that to do what you are suggesting requires a fully qualified part P electrician to either do the job or to check it after installation.

Sorry that's absolutely wrong. First, the job is not notifiable. The statutory instrument is the only relevant legislation and only states the work should be carried in compliance with Part P of Building Regulations. Be aware that Parts L & M may apply depending on the work.

Even the electrical regulations are only advisory, NOT legislative.

There's nothing to stop anyone doing DIY electrics if they feel competent and comply with Building Regulations.

Of course, the installation SHOULD be properly installed and tested but it's a socket for a telly in an 18 month old house FFS...

Okay, pre-installation checklist:

meter tails correctly marked and sized at 25mm
main earth at 16mm and integrity checked
main bonding at 10mm to water/gas/oil and integrity checked

Installation checklist

Zs and PFC check
RCD trip test
Ze at new socket
Check values will provide correct operating times of protective device

Installation 30mins, tests and checklist 4 hours.......yawn!

Last edited:
I'd send a photo of the back of my van but that wouldn't help :)

CEF will cut most sizes of T/E to length including 4mm, I always carry a few metres of 4mm because if I'm gonna add a socket I might as well do a double. Can't do a double on 2.5mm as it's only rated at 19 amps. Plus, you can usually get 4mm in the socket with two 2.5mm and avoid the joint box...

Back