PLUSNET anyone use them ?

unbundling the local exchanges was/is good for competition and i'm all for that! the problem lies between the house and the exchange, as only BT have the 'right' to work on those cables and equipment... how can that lead to fair and open competition,? the result is they (openreach - how is it open lol) can charge £130 + VAT to come and change a microfilter, good business if you can get it, but hardly the result of true competition.

AFAIK you don't need to have to use BT to do the work in your house.

Do plusnet have alt.binaries on there server? like alt.binaries.divx,etc
I read somewhere it only has text based newsgroups on there server, unlike VM were you get at least 10 days retention on most binarie groups
In other words you can grab a movie if your quick enough on VM but plusnet you can't
Is that right?

BT and VM now both have 30 days retention on their usenet services.

AFAIK you don't need to have to use BT to do the work in your house.

no buddy, you're bang on right, whereas they used to be responsible for cabling and equipment up to the main box inside your property, nowadays, they're only responsible up to the box on the wall outside and if a fault, regardless of how small, is found beyond the outside box, it is the householders responsibility and therefore subject to their extortionate minimum price of £130 + VAT. how they managed to shift their responsibility like this is beyond me but nevertheless is grossly unfair and typical of their business practise.

as for customer service, it's no better than when it owned publicly, a good friend of mine was left with no bb all through the christmas period simply because openreach hadn't been able to complete their maintenance before they broke up for their christmas holidays... what a way to run a business and if they were truly open to competition they would never survive, trouble is they don't really exist in the real world!!!

@mods/admin, very sorry to drift ot like this but my ranting does have some relevance as PlusNot are BT in disguise, a bit like member thommo's avatar, nothing more than a wolf in sheep's clothing.

@everybody else, don't go anywhere near BT or PlusNot

Unfair, IMHO, even BT are loads better than just a few years ago...

Depends on how you deal with BT. Ever tried to pin them down to install a leased line, they are an absolute joke! Wholesale don't talk to openreach, openreach don't talk to their engineers, they have different statuses on different systems, left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.....blockage in road a is clear, oh there is a blockage in road b, we need traffic management and council approval, that's another 7 days, and two weeks after the allotted 60 calender days we are still waiting, but wait it needed to be in last week........

Don't worry their account manager is on to it. Would that be John, Alan, George Paul or Ringo, well depends on what day you call.

Last edited:
Depends on how you deal with BT. Ever tried to pin them down to install a leased line, they are an absolute joke! Wholesale don't talk to openreach, openreach don't talk to their engineers, they have different statuses on different systems, left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.....blockage in road a is clear, oh there is a blockage in road b, we need traffic management and council approval, that's another 7 days, and two weeks after the allotted 60 calender days we are still waiting, but wait it needed to be in last week........

Don't worry their account manager is on to it. Would that be John, Alan, George Paul or Ringo, well depends on what day you call.

No comment in public ;)

I've had similar trouble with virgin, so i don't think any company is perfect. My broadband was off before xmas and they sent a tech out, who found the fault but said he didnt have time to fix it & that it would after xmas n new year before anyone would be out to fix it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

no buddy, you're bang on right, whereas they used to be responsible for cabling and equipment up to the main box inside your property, nowadays, they're only responsible up to the box on the wall outside and if a fault, regardless of how small, is found beyond the outside box, it is the householders responsibility and therefore subject to their extortionate minimum price of £130 + VAT. how they managed to shift their responsibility like this is beyond me but nevertheless is grossly unfair and typical of their business practise.

Just had a repair done on a BT BB site, AFAIK BT are responsible upto and including the master socket and faceplate. If the problem is inside the house then why are you calling BT to fix it ?

Also AFAIK if I order sky fibre then I am not paying BT to do the install and sky don't charge £130 or whatever for the install.

Last edited:
So does that mean plusnet does as well then and all the alt.binarie groups are available on there?

They don't have a full usenet service - just plusnet stuff.

That was one of the things that was stopping me moving from Madasafish to Plusnet but then I found that, as well as being able to keep my madasafish email account and related domain accounts, I would still be able to use the madasafish newsserver and so I'm now just moving over.

I've always kept my phone service separate - BT - but, having seen how well Plusnet have managed Madasafish for the last few years, I've signed up to their phone and unlimited broadband package which gives half price broadband for a year. I'm sure I will be able to negotiate a good discount after the first year.

I'm in a Market 1 area and I can't get the lowest price so I didn't want to pay extra for a newsserver but if you are in market 2 or 3 I still think Plusnet would be a good deal while paying extra for a newsserver.

Just had a repair done on a BT BB site, AFAIK BT are responsible upto and including the master socket and faceplate. If the problem is inside the house then why are you calling BT to fix it ?

humble apologies but to put it simply, you are wrong matey! they're responsible only up to the box on the outside of the property, as soon as the line enters the house you are responsible, even if the problem is down to their sh1tty master/microfilter/test socket... please get your facts right before you extol their virtues! they charged me (thro' talktalk, who incidentally reimbursed me, presumably at their cost) £130 + VAT for work performed by openretch from the box outside to the master socket inside, nothing beyond the face plate, master socket or any of my equipment inside!

as i stated earlier - this is becoming nothing more than a BT/PlusNot glorification thread - no one other than openretch can work on equipment between the property, the cabinet, and the exchange, unbundled or no... ie. a total closed shop with no competition! dare i say, a private monopoly. if there were other players involved it would be a cartel, but fortuitously for BT, there aren't!

my last comment on this because it's obvious where some members interests belong, make your own choice... if there really was one lol.

ps. anyone want to start a thread about centrica, i'm really up for that :Laugh:

@ Mr D Oji

Well I don't have a box on the outside of my house, the cable is terminated inside my property.
So it's BT's responsibility up to AND including the master socket. FACT.

I had an issue with my connection BT replaced the master socket FOC as it WAS their responsibility!

(TT)

humble apologies but to put it simply, you are wrong matey! they're responsible only up to the box on the outside of the property, as soon as the line enters the house you are responsible, even if the problem is down to their sh1tty master/microfilter/test socket... please get your facts right before you extol their virtues! they charged me (thro' talktalk, who incidentally reimbursed me, presumably at their cost) £130 + VAT for work performed by openretch from the box outside to the master socket inside, nothing beyond the face plate, master socket or any of my equipment inside!

as i stated earlier - this is becoming nothing more than a BT/PlusNot glorification thread - no one other than openretch can work on equipment between the property, the cabinet, and the exchange, unbundled or no... ie. a total closed shop with no competition! dare i say, a private monopoly. if there were other players involved it would be a cartel, but fortuitously for BT, there aren't!

my last comment on this because it's obvious where some members interests belong, make your own choice... if there really was one lol.

ps. anyone want to start a thread about centrica, i'm really up for that :Laugh:

From BT help page,

Engineer Home Improvement Service

BT is responsible for the line up to and including the master socket. From the way I read it, you can be charged for damage caused by you from your boundary line. Which implies if the fault is with BT then its not chargeable.

BTW, that to clarify I don't even have a BT line coming onto my property. They want over £200 + VAT if I want to be reconnected because they say VM cut the line when the previous owner switch to VM, VM are of course denying this. I have spoken to my neighbour and my cousin who are both BT engineers and both have confirmed that it not unknown for VM sub-contractors to do this.

Liars, cheats, awful customer service, was with them and left after they silently changed terms and conditions, started throttling and cutting people off. I then had my girlfriend leave them two years ago because again, had issues with billing and customer services, plus line speed and reliability.

Could be just me, but once is forgivable, twice is just bad management.

They are OK for the masses, but for me not so I'm afraid.

Think, cheap all you can eat Chinese buffet against a restaurant quality three course meal.

That's exactly my experience as well. Used to get bills for extra usage even though I was overseas with everything switched off.
Took them 9 months to admit that they cocked up and then it happened again.

I have been with Plusnet for about 2 years, had a few problems with speed but can only get a slow adsl speed due to distance from the exchange, they were very good all round even sending a router free of charge to improve the situation. so cant complain about their service

OpenReach termination point is either a) The NT5 Socket if cable to house is overhead, b) the termination box outside the property if the cable to house is brought underground.

Back