PBM ... What is it ?

Steve

Inactive User
Reaction score
I know I am a going to probably regret asking this but I keep seeing reference to a pbm in various topics .... what is a pbm.

Sorry for no doubt a stupid question but everytime I see reference to it in a topic I lose the thread of what the topic is about.

Thought I would ask this before I receive my elvis.

I suppose once I have my elvis I will know what it means but as I don'r have one yet I would appreciate someone explaining to a thicko like me.

Thanks

I think these are right<br />AU = Auto Update <br />BIN = File extension for binary file format <br />CAM = Conditional Access Module <br />ECM = Electronic Counter Measure <br />EEPROM = Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory <br />HEX = File extension for hexadecimal file format <br />MK = Management Key <br />MM2-3 = Multimac (analogue satellite system) <br />MOSC = Modified Original Smart Card <br />PBM = Package Bit Map <br />PCB = Printed Circuit Board <br />PIC = Programmable Integrated Circuit <br />PPUA = Program Provider Users Address <br />PPV = Pay Per View <br />RU = Remote Update <br />UA = Unique Address

Thanks pissquick ... I won't have to ask about any others if they come along.

Sorry, but what is and where would I find or need or how to use a PBM (what does it do etc) ?

Said I was a thicko ... perhaps I am more of a thicko than I thought ....

Sorry everyone but I am an abolute real new newbie here and I do apologise if these questions seem really stupid.

Thanks

Take a look here at Gazers<br /><a href="http://members.fortunecity.com/gazers/" target="_blank">http://members.fortunecity.com/gazers/</a>

Well - Package Bit Map as said above, but what is it?<br />All computers use binary, zero's and one's, on and off, to process data.<br />Well with regards to these cards there is an area of storage called the 'Map' which stores zero's and one's which are relevant to each individual channel, and possibilities of more.<br />There are 8 bytes of storage which each contain 8 bits. Eight bits look like- 11111111 when all on, and the byte will look like- FF<br />The 'hex' byte- FF is just short hand for the full eight bits, and any value of zero's and one's can be represented by a 'hex' equivilent.<br />So a 'Package' is just details of all the channels that apply to a certain customer.<br />So a Package Bit Map is a set of zero's and one's, or hex's (shorthand writing) that show what channels the card is allowed to let you watch.

Hope this will make some sense.

L Budget webs, clacton, walton, frinton, website design

Last edited:
Back