Paypal Seller Protection

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know how this works?

My paypal is a business one and i have sold an ipad for 400 quid 3 days ago. The guy came and picked it up.
Today i see a chargeback on the item.
I have the following:

A written paper which documents date and time of collection with signature.
The IMEA and the Serial number of the ipad.

I will contact paypal by phone tomorrow, they have always been quite good but in terms of charge backs and seller protection, never actually needed or had them used against me before.

he'll be trying it on, saying it never arrived and u have no proof of posting.

how did u sell it - ebay? what sort of paypal payment? was it a business transaction or private?

Sold it via eBay. But it now. Not private. Also have receipt with his signature. Regardless, apple and the police will be informed of the IMEI and the serial number so as soon as its connected to itunes it should render it useless?

itunes wont do nothing, u could block it the IMEI if it's a 3G.

did u email him via ebay to make the meeting arrangements? if so, that can be used as proof too for ebay. in the meantime, message him direct too, tell him he has 1 day to close the case before you report him to the police for theft and fraud, say u have a photo from CCTV which will be passed to police along with his name and address (u should have these things from paypal)

What a cheeky cooont to look you in the eye and then behind your back try and take your money, I'd be fuming! Hopefully the signature you have will be proof enough!

Its bad but far too common now. People realise the paypal rules and know its too easy to fraud the system. Lucky we know about getting signatures and proof to back us up, many people dont and sellers very often lose money as well as the goods.

funny thing is, i was also selling iphones and all day yesterday he was bugging me to buy one but i had one more left and given another chap my word to keep it for him, otherwise i would have sold it to the guy. As soon as i told him im not getting any more stock, i think thats when he done the charge back.
To be honest i dont care about the money, money comes and goes and im lucky enough to be in that position where it dont bother me.
the problem is, and i really hate to say it and those that know me know that i am a fair person who is very tolerant but this scamming thing is rife with a certain group of people (im not going to go into generalisation) and it saddens me to say it is difficult to do business (with these group of people) when you are trying to earn an honest living.
im sure there are people getting scammed every day, genuine people who need to make ends meat from hard work and they dont deserve it who are getting hit hard.

Im just gonna give paypal a ring tomorrow and explain the situation, if they give my money back then all well and good, if not im closing my paypal account. after over 10 years and hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of business, lets see who they value most.

Luckily these people you speak of are often pretty stupid with their scams so hopefully you'll be ok :) if your in a good financial position you can always donate me an iPad or something I'm broke beyond belief lol

Luckily these people you speak of are often pretty stupid with their scams so hopefully you'll be ok :) if your in a good financial position you can always donate me an iPad or something I'm broke beyond belief lol
Well I'm a believer in karma and I must have done something bad for this to happen so what I will do is if this guy doesn't buy the iPhone on Tuesday I will sell it for really cheap, no profit and donate all the proceeds to the chosen charity of the buyer.

i wish i knew you where selling iphones m8.

I am in the process of a paypal claim after the fooker didnt send the phone!

Well pp have screwed me. Basically they won't even accept my signed receipt and have told me tough its my fault.

Actually, if I close my account down, will they pursue it via debt collectors?

Last edited:
Well pp have screwed me. Basically they won't even accept my signed receipt and have told me tough its my fault.

How does that work then? If they let you advertise the product as collection? That's a load of shite! Have you been to the police?

To be honest mate they won't be interested. Will take it on the chin this time.

Just for reference for everyone, if people want to collect, it must be cash. Paypal don't cover you unless you post recorded.

whats the reason for the chargeback? what is the reason the buyer is giving to ebay/paypal? i thought the buyer had to wait 21 days before saying it hadn't arrived.

It's a longshot but you could also invoice him and explain to the customer that they have wrongfully and fraudulently disputed charges and are now responsible to you for the full charge amount plus the any chargeback fees. Use the verified address from the paypal account/sale detailing the transaction ID etc.

Advised them that they are notified that they have thirty (30) days to pay in full, and if they do not, they will be placed with a third-party collection agency and their account will be reported to all credit bureaus, severely damaging their credit rating for at least the next seven (7) years. I would also state that you no longer accept a return of the merchandise as settlement for the debt and will only accept payment in full.

I would also send it recorded.

Something may come of it, something may not but at least you will have tried.

Paypal are an absolute farce, they are not a bank and they have powers what so ever, and neither do they have any powers to restrict/reclaim funds from you for a legal sale of goods.

Last edited:
i honestly think u should go to the police m8. if it was me i would. it amounts to theft. call the cops and ask their advice, the guy picked it up from your house and never paid.

hmm I have had the same thing happen to me last week.....

don't know what to do... was for a iphone 4s for £530. took payment paypal and he came and collected it.

The worst thing is two years ago when i was a kid i knew to avoid this shit! just these days soo buzy just overlooked it.

feel bit stupid to say the least!

was wondering if i refunded him in a seperate transaction and done a chargeback what will happen.....(btw does anyone know how to do a chargeback??)

only the 'payer' can do chargeback. So you cant refund then ask for the refund back again. If you mean pay him, then ask for it back, I dont understand the idea lol?
In any case, members here really have to learn not to accept paypal and hand goods over. That is the lesson that has been taught here for a long time now.
The scam of paying, collecting goods, then claiming money back from paypal is VERY common. Dont be caught out in future :)

Any item sold for more than £150 and payed for by paypal must be sent by recorded and digitally signed for.Hope you get some type of result on this.

Back