Painting Skirting Board

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
if i am painting a new wooden skirting board what paint do i use as undercoat or do i just use two coats of white gloss?

At the chance of getting a virtual slap here I would say Undercoat :)

yeah i thought so myself, can i use ceiling paint as the undercoat (it's already open) lol

Don't forget to buy/hire some skirting board ladders ;) lol

ok i'll just undercoat it with emulsion then, thanks guys :)

lmao how did you know it was upstairs Bronto ;)

I'm currently in the process of stripping an entire staircase with a hot air gun.

My house was build in the late 40's and it has layer after layer of antique paint and varnish built up, the fumes are terrible. After it's all stripped I'm going to sand it all down then paint them red, just like that advert on the telly lol.

It had been carpeted, but the weans keep pishing it and even though we clean it with a carpet cleaner then smell remains. So it's up with the carpet, off with the old paint then on with a nice glossy pish resistant and easy to clean gloss paint. :)

will it not be very noisy with wooden stairs, we tried it here for a while and ended up putting carpet back down?

@kruger, i didn't buy it, it was left over from the last room that got decorated, i only need a small piece for beside the spiral stairs in the landing.

Last edited:
Probably too late.
If it's the bare wood then you'll need to use a primer first, you might want to consider getting some notting paint as well.
Didn't use it last time around and the sap from the nots is yellowing the gloss now.
You can use emulsion as the undercoat as a cheap fix, but it doesn't take as well and will chip easier.
(one coat primer) Two coats undercoat one coat gloss.
Wizbit77

even white mdf skirting/facings needs painting its only an undercoat on them they still need a couple of undercoats then a gloss/matt for a decent finish.

cheers.

spot on wiz,

i would defo put some sort of not/stain paint on first i never done it last time and its a nightmare getting rid of the yellow stains they just keep coming through after a few months.

Always a good idea to check if lead paint has been used in the past, before sanding or burning off old decoration. Banned around early 60s. :Fish:

Always a good idea to check if lead paint has been used in the past, before sanding or burning off old decoration. Banned around early 60s. :Fish:

How would I check?

A bit late now as I'm half way through it.

lol, tell u summit mate, as soon as the heat gun hits the paint my smoke alarms go mental.

lol, tell u summit mate, as soon as the heat gun hits the paint my smoke alarms go mental.

yeah i bet.

When we had a burst pipe in the bathroom it came through the hall cieling. The insurance paid out for the repairs and the company hwo came took a sample of the ceiling away for testing. They came back and said it had a small amount of asbestos in it so another company had to come a take it down.

My house looked like the one out of ET with an irlock and chemical showers the works lol.

Ours was built in the late 60's so if there is paint from that era then it probably does have lead in it.

yeah i bet.

When we had a burst pipe in the bathroom it came through the hall cieling. The insurance paid out for the repairs and the company hwo came took a sample of the ceiling away for testing. They came back and said it had a small amount of asbestos in it so another company had to come a take it down.

My house looked like the one out of ET with an irlock and chemical showers the works lol.

I had the same problem with my place and that was built in '98. Insurance company took down downstairs ceiling in hallway, left the rest of it and upstairs alone. They just warned me that if I do DIY on the ceiling then to take precausions.

one more quick question, if i am painting a door that has been painted white before, do i need to give it two coats of gloss?

i washed it down and sanded it slightly, looks good after one coat?

edit: it looked great yesterday when the paint was still wet, now that i look at it today when it's dried there are a couple of marks showing through so yes it does need a second coat

Last edited:
everyroom i redecorate now i rip off the old skirting and replace it with upvc skirting board ,no more painting kid proof and stays pure white .also cheaper than wood or mdf skirting board

11.99 for 5 metre length

Back