Oyster Card

The Bouncer

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

The buses in my area are thinking about using these instead of bus passes so you just swipe your oyster card as you get on the bus and it lets you on, but I was just wondering if there could be anything to hack these as I currently use a fake bus pass instead of paying stupid prices to use public transport which is so poor

Hi all,

The buses in my area are thinking about using these instead of bus passes so you just swipe your oyster card as you get on the bus and it lets you on, but I was just wondering if there could be anything to hack these as I currently use a fake bus pass instead of paying stupid prices to use public transport which is so poor

:Hit: Because not enough people pay to use it :Hit:

[/B]

:Hit: Because not enough people pay to use it :Hit:

Na its not that m8, most public transport is very poor and also the time schedules need to be adjusted majorly and buses possibly fitted with some tracking device so the times wouldbe more realistic instead of saying every 3 - 9 minutes and then Im waiting 30mins for a bus that should have taken at most 10minutes from when I arrived at the bus stop.

If there was a drastic improvement in public transport then I would have no problem in paying, I have done for years but now just buy a bus pass a month which lasts for a week and then cut and chop it so it lasts a month.

most public transport is very poor

i take it that none u live in london then, all the buses that i see are brand new...

i don't use public transport meself and haven't done for about 20 yrs, well defo not a bus anyway, i think it was 5p all the way back then..lol but they all have cameras on the them inside and back and front of them to catch anyone driving in bus lanes, they just click and take ur piccy, u don't have to fold up the push chairs like they did whien i used them, the bus lowers it self down to kurb level and u walk on with it. they are all years from 2000 - 2009 in london. so i've been told, once u use £3 off it in one day, the rest of the buses are free for the rest of the day, although u still have to swipe them..or something like that. the ones i see look very nice, tinted windows much more comfort inside.

i've added some nice pics and also one of the bendy busues, that are now gonna be scrapped in a few years,

Last edited:
Just had a little look into this
It was cracked in Feb but there has been a court case as to weather they were allowed to release their findings which they won and it was supposed to be released in Oct. So yes it can be done and by all accounts the security is worse than Vermins. Heres a couple of links to start you off. BTW we aint got this tec round here as yet but keep me posted cos my bro lives in London.

Cryptanalysis of Crypto-1

Schneier on Security: Hacking Mifare Transport Cards

Edit
Just had a thought like Teeny we are trialing the new hybrid. It aint that colour though

http://www.reading-buses.co.uk/resources/images/For News Articles/DennisEnviro400.png

Last edited:
I read something from that university some time back but isn't there some back-end to the system now?

IE. The credit is not on the card itself.

Back