Mesh Networks eero - Have I made the wrong choice?

quackshot

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Virgin Media UK customer and have suffered for years with their poor SuperDud modem. I have tried many variations of routers/homeplug/hardwiring to try to make things better, but the WiFi just sucks.
A Virgin engineer told me I had my modem is an ideal spot elivated in the centre of my house, but agreed that their butchered software makes the modems terrible.
However I have never given up and have been considering mesh networking for a while, as the 350meg connection had become increasingly poor.
Price wise though I couldn't really stretch to a full mesh network, plus I wanted something simple like Google/Nest WiFi.

Then low & behold whilst browsing Amazon the other week I saw the eero.
Which promised a similar experience. There was plenty of rave reviews from people who had "been waiting years for these to reach the UK"
I also made sure to watch plenty of reviews on YouTube.

In general setup and everyday features & use have been a dream.

However I have noticed that it tends to plop everything on the 2.4ghz band.
I have since found out that it's not possible to force 5Ghz.

So now I'm thinking have I made a mistake?
Has anyone else had this system?
If you have it currently are you happy with your purchase?

Everything else is exactly what I wanted, but this is starting to annoy me now, especially with devices in the same room as the modem.

Amazon are usually good on returns. I use google mesh with VM and not had any issues.

it will give you 5ghz depending on your device. I have had mine for almost 2 yrs now with No PROBLEMS. my provider supplies me with 500mb dl and 20mb ul and seems fine..

This is what i use for around the house and canna fault it

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 19
5ghz although faster loses it more when it has to go through walls (especially solid walls). This is where 2.4ghz is better at.

How does Amazon one work? Does it grab hold of existing wifi and boost it (so-to-speak)? Or can it take an ethernet and then provide wifi from ethernet?

Personally, I use homeplugs to get ethernet (cat6) from one side of house to other and then on opposite side of where main router is, I have another wifi router from ethernet (which is via homeplugs).

That make sense haha?

Back