Options for taking things further...

Saturlight

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All

I’m currently a Spiderbox and $ky+HD user with a motorised dish. I thoroughly enjoy both boxes for different reasons, however I’m wondering if there is a better option that combines the best bits of both boxes.

I’m aware of c/s and of official sub cards and want to keep both these options open. I’m also aware of $ky cards being paired to the box, etc. But I am only a beginner, having only had a Spiderbox for around six months. Also my only knowledge of Linux is its logo!!

I have read up a bit on Dreamboxes and Vu+ but I could do with a few answers:

1) Realistically, how easy is it for a noob like me to get to grips with DM’s and VU’s?
2) The Spider’s PVR is its weakest link for me, so will the EPG/PVR function for the above boxes work like $ky+ (I realise I may need a new image/plug-in)?
3) Would it be better to buy a cheap DM clone first in order to get to grips with how this type of box works?

Many thanks for any answers you can provide.

Dm is not too hard just needs a bit off reading all the info is in the stickies.don't know about vu can't afford one.I have a dm 800 clone in bedroom and spider in living room I prefer the spider as it's so easy to use. Ie rec, cline, edit channel list but that's my own opinion. I just don't have the time for dreambox wish I had. Not sure what you want to do but the spider can do quite a lot if you want it to. Dreambox can do a lot more ie you tube,epg like sky,multiboot to external of internal.

Thanks nistleboy

To be honest I'm just exploring options at the moment. As I said, I love my Spiderbox but the lack of EPG (only now & next on most channels) and the very basic PVR function frustrates me. Also I don't think the Spider can act as a client? (I have a PS3 for any streaming, YouTube, etc.)

In time the Spider could find its way into the bedroom with my main receiver being a DM or VU. The DM or VU to take the place of both Spider and $ky+HD box. However, your point of not having the time for the DM is one of my main two worries.

Maybe I'm asking too much....the ease of use of the $ky+ box with the extra features (and more) of the Spider. Obviously, I understand I would need to use patches, plug-ins etc. I just don't want it to be too difficult.

Back