Null Modem Cable Problem.

geordiemols

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guys I've just bought a new pc but it hasnt got the 9 pin connector for the null modem cable. I've had a wee look on Amazon and they have a USB to 9 pin convertor on their wensite, do you think that would work ok ? or could you advize any other cable that would work.

Cheers.

AFAIK, those USB-RS232 converters often gives a funny and weird results.
The bets way would be to get an old outdated laptop, which has enough power to run WIN XP, and has a dedicated 9pin serial port. Just old classic route

AFAIK, those USB-RS232 converters often gives a funny and weird results.
The bets way would be to get an old outdated laptop, which has enough power to run WIN XP, and has a dedicated 9pin serial port. Just old classic route

Thanks for the reply mate.
Unfortunately cash is a bit short just now after having to fork out for the new pc.
Got a laptop but sods law its newish too.........

I use one and it works but it can sometimes take a couple of trys to flash

They work fine, the problem is finding the correct driver for it...

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Most of these USB to Serial convertors use the Prolific chipset, so you can check the Prolific site for drivers if the ones with the device dont work.

if your running windows 7 it should plug and play mine does :)

If you end up tearing your hair out trying to get the USB to Serial adaptor to work, check if your new PC has one or more spare PCI slots.

If it has, you can grab a dedicated PCI RS232 9pin card for around a fiver on fleaBay, including P&P. This will give you a genuine COM1 port with it's own hardware IRQ. That's the area where many USB Serial adaptors fall over.

Cheers- AL :)

If you end up tearing your hair out trying to get the USB to Serial adaptor to work, check if your new PC has one or more spare PCI slots.

If it has, you can grab a dedicated PCI RS232 9pin card for around a fiver on fleaBay, including P&P. This will give you a genuine COM1 port with it's own hardware IRQ. That's the area where many USB Serial adaptors fall over.

Cheers- AL :)

Always the best option if possible :)

sent using my telepathic powers

Hopefully then mate as I'm running windows 7.

You need to be carefull which one you buy, mines came with a driver for vista but would not work on win7, had a hell of a time finding a driver for win7....

Now I have an old pc with an rs232 port. :)

Saving my hair. .. lol

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

OK, took PaphosAL's advice and bought the pci card off fleabay.

Cheers for the help guys :)

hi there av flashed a dm 500c and i silly put the rong command in and it has ersd it and not put the img back in to it and its lost the ip now it just stays on the green light now is there deflt ip for it or do aye have to get null cable now and do it thanks is some on could help me pls

hi there av flashed a dm 500c and i silly put the rong command in and it has ersd it and not put the img back in to it and its lost the ip now it just stays on the green light now is there deflt ip for it or do aye have to get null cable now and do it thanks is some on could help me pls

hi m8

what are you trying to do with the 500c get cable or run a server?

Should be able to find the IP in your routers web interface,probably under "Attached Device's"

sent using my telepathic powers

Back