ntl/telepest changeing system

Still working Xmas day :)

If anything id think that rumour kicked off purely cos in Germany theres about to be a tax hike.... and Eurovox boxes are now jumping up in price and due to there popularity companies are now charging alot more on top.

Sorry if this is all old hat but I was told the other day by a policeman who is also family that the law is changing on the 15th January 2007 which will make it illegal to have a box or card which allows you to receive encrypted channels. In typical law change fashion, the old bill have only just received details of the new law but essentially, if someone grasses you up about your box and you receive a visit you will be prosecuted. I don't know the technicalities of this compared to what the current law is but I can say with absolute certainty that the law changes on the 15th! If anyone knows more about this it would probably be worth sharing.

Cheers

So what you're saying is, just owning the box or card, even if it's sitting in your loft, is against the law?

Bugger!

afaik, this is part of some European wide law which effectively makes it an offence to have any equipment whose purpose is to circumvent a providers encryption system.

That includes chipped boxes and re-written cards.

It also includes such equipment as programmers, unloopers etc.

I've not read the particular statutes myself but i'm told that they are not just aimed at cable but at all providers on all systems so this could effectively make it illegal for anyone to receive and decrypt any European satellite signal without a valid subscription !

they will stop people having recordable dvd players soon because of copyright: spank :

The way things are moving with pvr boxes that only work with a subscription (Sky+ box etc) I think they are already heading in this direction !

Im still trying to figure out why are people still using dbox, when i changed my box everyone recommened the dreambox..... so is dbox still better?

afaik, this is part of some European wide law which effectively makes it an offence to have any equipment whose purpose is to circumvent a providers encryption system.

I've not read the particular statutes myself but i'm told that they are not just aimed at cable but at all providers on all systems so this could effectively make it illegal for anyone to receive and decrypt any European satellite signal without a valid subscription !

Sounds like the law which is in practice in Portugal at the moment where all Fta boxes are illegal to own even if it is to used to watch fta stuff or simply if you are found with one in your possesion. This is partly the reason why keys for Cabo have not been public for a while.

29th dec and still going strong, moan the bells lol:xmas: : multi :

This law is in force in the UK and has been for a few years already - it could be argued that a d-box is a multimedia centre whose purpose is to watch media files stored on the PC, it just happens to receive encrypted cable channels too.

If you took the law literally, a pair of binoculars would be considered illegal as you could use them to watch a neighbours pay TV through the window :)

So can anyone confirm if this is just scaremongering or is there documented evidence anywhere of the new law coming into force? Would search warrents not be required even if someone did say joe bloggs at no 10 downing street has an illegal cable box?

: gun : i havent heard anything as such and i know a couple of people who are involved in the old pace boxes and mosc cards, non of them have come back with anything solid. then again may be they wouldnt tell anyway...... btw cant you just use the human rights law or something, your right to keep a box in your house... it usually works with everything else : gun :

So can anyone confirm if this is just scaremongering or is there documented evidence anywhere of the new law coming into force? Would search warrents not be required even if someone did say joe bloggs at no 10 downing street has an illegal cable box?

some sort of search warrant is needed to get access to a property i think
They will be looking into getting in to some propertys for this country security not he has a stolen dvd player in there so they bash down the door no i dont think so

Last edited:
Back