Newcastle wtf were going down

eh? if football is not about winning trophies then exactly what is it about?

My previous post answered your question.

I can tell you what football is not about. It's not about £50-£60 tickets and entertaining corporate clients at the expense of local supporters, it's not about going to a game where the mood is more akin to a large corporate meeting with champagne in plastic cups rather than beer and cups of tea. Even watching live PL football on the telly costs considerable money when it is our national game (you couldn't say the same in countries like Oz).

If you want a proper football experience I'd choose many clubs ahead of ManYou, nothing can make the hairs on your arms stand on end like thousands of fans making noise and singing their silly songs.

no doubt football is about having fun etc but the main objective is to win games which lead to winning trophies. Surely the vast majority of footballers are playing to win trophies and fans are going to watch their teams to see them win matches and trophies. Not sure how ur team losing or getting pasted week after week is fun. People have their opinions on makes a club a big club, for me newcastle arent....

Not sure how ur team losing or getting pasted week after week is fun. QUOTE]

It's not fun..............it's called loyalty.
That's why manure have so many fans. In their narrow mind they try to back the winning horse.
They expect to win every game, win every trophy and get every refereeing decission in their favour, and piss and moan if they don't.
For true fans football is about supporting your local team or the one your dad supported and took you to as a child.
It's about wondering if you'll win or not and trying to cheer them on and encourage them.
It's about actually going to the ground and feeling the atmosphere.
For some, like me, and this year Newcastle supporters, it's about wondering if you'll get enough points to survive the drop. If they do go down, the Newcastle fans won't suddenly become manure fans or Liverpool fans just because they've had a better season. They'll watch them in the championship too!!
I don't know where you live so won't comment personally, but my nearest club is Bolton. I live 12 miles away from Old Trafford yet support Bolton, even though they sometimes get pasted and play crap.

Curly

Cracking post curly.
1 pet hate of mine is to see grown local men wearing the Liverpool, Manu etc tops and have never been 100 miles near the stadiums, ask em why "rather support a good team then the local rubbish".:err:
This from a town where we have 5 footy teams in aprox 15-20miles including Villa.
Best days for me in a strange way has a Wolves fan was in the old 3rd and 4th divisions the crowds and stadiums where fantastic fun days out lol

It's not fun..............it's called loyalty.

I don't know where you live so won't comment personally, but my nearest club is Bolton. I live 12 miles away from Old Trafford yet support Bolton, even though they sometimes get pasted and play crap.

Curly

i completely agree about being loyal, dont have a problem whatsoever with that. I was just commenting on a previous poster who said that footy isnt about winning trophies when surely ur in the game to win games and win trophies.

Also i dont live far from you. my dad has supported Utd since the 60's i've followed suit. Also got a season ticket at Utd which i TRY to share with my younger brother and sister lol, dad's got the other one.

Anyways this has gone way off topic, this is about n'castle going down. They need pull out some result and hope some go their way or else they are gona be in some trouble....

Last edited:
I am always confused when I read about footy fans, I have never been interested in football.

I just cant see the reason grown men would pay money to watch 22 men chase a ball ?

Especially given that most have longer hair than my chick ( and why do they all bath together afterwards ?)

Just dont get it ?

i completely agree about being loyal, dont have a problem whatsoever with that. I was just commenting on a previous poster who said that footy isnt about winning trophies when surely ur in the game to win games and win trophies.

How many teams actually compete for the title or even stand a chance of winning it? The answer is 4 at best but more likely 2 or 3. So how you can argue that it is about winning trophies? What about the remainder of the 18 or so teams, they don't stand a chance of winning the title so it can't be about winning, but taking part.

How many teams actually compete for the title or even stand a chance of winning it? The answer is 4 at best but more likely 2 or 3. So how you can argue that it is about winning trophies? What about the remainder of the 18 or so teams, they don't stand a chance of winning the title so it can't be about winning, but taking part.

Yes the league is very difficult but the fa and carling cups are winnable trophies.

Yes the league is very difficult but the fa and carling cups are winnable trophies.
FA Cup
2008 Portsmouth 1-0 Cardiff
2007 Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United
2006 Liverpool 3-1 penalties
3-3 after extra time West Ham United
2005 Arsenal 5-4 penalties
0-0 after extra time Manchester United
2004 Manchester United 3-0 Millwall
2003 Arsenal 1-0 Southampton
2002 Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea
2001 Liverpool 2-1 Arsenal
2000 Chelsea 1-0 Aston Villa
1999 Manchester United 2-0 Newcastle
1998 Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle
1997 Chelsea 2-0 Middlesbrough
1996 Manchester United 1-0 Liverpool
1995 Everton 1-0 Manchester United
1994 Manchester United 4-0 Chelsea
1993 Arsenal 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday
1992 Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland
1991 Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Nottingham Forest
1990 Manchester United 4-3 Crystal Palace
1989 Liverpool 3-2 Everton
1988 Wimbledon 1-0 Liverpool
1987 Coventry City 3-2 Tottenham Hotspur
1986 Liverpool 3-1 Everton
1985 Manchester United 1-0 Everton
1984 Everton 2-0 Watford
1983 Manchester United 6-2 Brighton and Hove Albion
1982 Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Queen's Park Rangers
1981 Tottenham Hotspur 4-3 Manchester City
1980 West Ham United 1-0 Arsenal

League Cup
1980 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Nottingham Forest 0
1981 Liverpool 2 West Ham United 1 (after 1-1 draw)
1982 Liverpool 3 Tottenham Hotspur 1 (aet)
1983 Liverpool 2 Manchester United 1 (aet)
1984 Liverpool 1 Everton 0 (after 0-0 draw)
1985 Norwich City 1 Sunderland 0
1986 Oxford United 3 Queen's Park Rangers 0
1987 Arsenal 2 Liverpool 1
1988 Luton Town 3 Arsenal 2
1989 Nottingham Forest 3 Luton Town 1
1990 Nottingham Forest 1 Oldham Athletic 0
1991 Sheffield Wednesday 1 Manchester United 0
1992 Manchester United 1 Nottingham Forest 0
1993 Arsenal 2 Sheffield Wednesday 1
1994 Aston Villa 3 Manchester United 1
1995 Liverpool 2 Bolton Wanderers 1
1996 Aston Villa 3 Leeds United 0
1997 Leicester City 1 Middlesbrough 0 (aet, after 1-1 draw)
1998 Chelsea 2 Middlesbrough 0 (aet)
1999 Tottenham Hotspur 1 Leicester City 0
2000 Leicester City 2 Tranmere Rovers 1
2001 Liverpool 1 Birmingham City 1 (aet, 5-4 pen)
2002 Blackburn Rovers 2 Tottenham Hotspur 1
2003 Liverpool 2 Manchester United 0
2004 Middlesbrough 2 Bolton Wanderers 1
2005 Chelsea 3 Liverpool 2 (aet)
2006 Manchester United 4 Wigan Athletic 0
2007 Chelsea 2 Arsenal 1
2008 Tottenham Hotspur 2 Chelsea 1
2009 Manchester United 0 Tottenham Hotspur 0 (aet, 4-1 pen)

Seems like the same ol story here as well aside from the odd blip.

Sorry Newcastle fans for taking your thread off topic, I'll butt out.

I am always confused when I read about footy fans, I have never been interested in football.

I just cant see the reason grown men would pay money to watch 22 men chase a ball ?

Each to their own m8, can't understand why people pay 3 times the price of a football ticket to see 2 dudes beat the shit out of each other and thats not counting the flights to las vagas and hotel fees and spending money could go on but I'm sure you get my point
I just watch it on my Dream Box :cool:

If u feel bad about Newy. how bad are the soton fans feeling. Surely as bad as when Leeds went to L1. Same shit happened when Leeds when down, "oh they are a big club".

Well times change, you cant live on past glories. My team only got one glory of note, then knocked out by Sutton the following year, lol. We are just mid table candidates in the championship, I really cant see how we are gonna make it into the top 6.

football is how you see it, some fans follow clubs only cos their successful, some support local teams, some kids follow a team cos their mates do. Is there really a right way and wrong way or is that down to personal opinion?

Looks like we could be the ones to cosign Newcastle to relegation a week on Sunday, but dont worry ill give them a round of applause for their efforts while im there.

What is the difference between Alan Shearer and Newcastle

Alan Shearer will be on MOTD next season.

Each to their own m8, can't understand why people pay 3 times the price of a football ticket to see 2 dudes beat the shit out of each other and thats not counting the flights to las vagas and hotel fees and spending money could go on but I'm sure you get my point
I just watch it on my Dream Box :cool:

I am a womens beach volleyball fan myself ;)

Back