Newbie questions

Thanks again, to popcorn and bigup, certainly food for thought, I will look into buying the components seperatly as I was initially looking at packages.

Will I be able to get football without cardsharing or similar, I've found a website listing what channels are showing the games that I cannot currently watch on my subscribed service, a prime example is blackpool and liverpool wednesday evening.

only FTA channel showing that match is:

AD Sports HD3 which is on 26E and 7.0W

but generally you will need some kind of share mate

Last edited:
Hi StuDaBear

The info the others have posted is all good advice.

Last summer I was in a similar position to you and ended up with the following set-up: Spiderbox 9000HD + gift (7000 is similar), Gibertini 1M dish, Technomate TM2600 motor, Inverto Black Ultra twin LNB, galvanised T&K brackets, piece of scaffold pole, cable and connectors. I bought these items from different shops - just went for the shop that was the cheapest but looked legit.

I have been delighted with my set-up and have been able to watch every Liverpool match this year - most in HD, although not all with English commentary. NB. Less popular teams aren't always featured every single week.

I may look at a Dreambox in future but as I was starting out I thought I'd try to walk before running. The system I have has allowed me to learn at a comfortable pace.

NB. Any satellite set-up is more complicated and requires regular updates and a bit of hassle compared to Sly....but it's well worth it in my opinion. PS I have Sly too.

Hope this info gives you the confidence and confirmation for you to give it a go.

Hi StuDaBear

The info the others have posted is all good advice.

Last summer I was in a similar position to you and ended up with the following set-up: Spiderbox 9000HD + gift (7000 is similar), Gibertini 1M dish, Technomate TM2600 motor, Inverto Black Ultra twin LNB, galvanised T&K brackets, piece of scaffold pole, cable and connectors. I bought these items from different shops - just went for the shop that was the cheapest but looked legit.

I have been delighted with my set-up and have been able to watch every Liverpool match this year - most in HD, although not all with English commentary. NB. Less popular teams aren't always featured every single week.

I may look at a Dreambox in future but as I was starting out I thought I'd try to walk before running. The system I have has allowed me to learn at a comfortable pace.

NB. Any satellite set-up is more complicated and requires regular updates and a bit of hassle compared to Sly....but it's well worth it in my opinion. PS I have Sly too.

Hope this info gives you the confidence and confirmation for you to give it a go.

good post mate :)

just a quick question, are you able to get 26E (badr) using the 1m gibertini?

Thanks bigup.

I'm at work at the moment but from memory I can get one of the Badr sats/channels but not the one that has the prem footy - You need to based in the South with a very big dish for that one.

Thanks bigup.

I'm at work at the moment but from memory I can get one of the Badr sats/channels but not the one that has the prem footy - You need to based in the South with a very big dish for that one.

ahh cool, i just checked listings it Badr 6, thanks for the info about needing a huge dish.

n00b at this stuff you see :)

Cheers guys, I'm learning plenty at the min, a question regarding the lnb, is a single, twin or quad just for how many recievers can be connected?

Yes mate. Although on some receivers (sly+ box is a good example) it depends on how many tuners you want to run from one dish - record a channel while watching another, etc.

Going back to the lnb, if I buy a twin, at a later date I could add another reciever in a diff room?

Just looking at a site online regarding equipment,

Choose between a Single, Twin or Quad 0.1dB LNB, 0.4dB Octo, Astra/Hotbird or Hotbird/Eurobird Monoblock LNB

If i have a motorised dish then a single or twin (inverto ultra) lnb I presume I will get astra hotbird eurobird? or am I missing something?

if you get a motorised set up you should be able to get from 42East to 30West easily providing you have a clear view of the southern sky.
monoblock lnbs are for fixed dishes they are basically 2 lnbs in one body with a 6 degree spacing enabling you to receive 2 sats (usually astra at 19E and hotbird at 13E) with 1 fixed dish but you can get other spacings.most motorised dishes only use a single lnb with one output but again as I said before you can put a twin output lnb on a motorised dish and use the spare output to a 2nd receiver or use it for a twin tuner set top box.

Just to update the thread, Today I've ordered a spiderbox 7000HD, a dark motor, and inverto ultra single LNB.

Hopefully tomorrow I will order a dish, and organise some fixings for it.

Can anybody advise me on the best size T&K brackets to purchase, I will be buying a 1m dish.

I'm currently looking at a gibertini dish at around £79, although a local company are doing a triax for £60. I think for the extra cost the gibertini will be a better choice as afaik its aluminum? so won't rust.

That's good news, can't help with the size of T&K's i am afraid as it depends on the angle the wall is facing or if above/below the gutter etc but the are sized larger than the stand off they actually give, better websites quote the actual stand off distance as well. I would make sure they state Galvanised as many are only painted and wont last so long.

the gibertini dishes are good and easier to adjust than the triax, I"ve got an 85cm and it gets all I want where I am just south of the humber.I"m using 12" T&Ks on a southish facing wall it clears from 30W to 42E but you may need a bit more stand off with a 1mt someone will advise.

the gibertini dishes are good and easier to adjust than the triax,

i thought it was just me m8. i had a nightmare last sunday with a td88 on a stab motor., so much so i gave up and am going back this saturday. regards mdt

no I"ve got a 64cm triax I just use as a fixed dish for 28.2/5E and it took ages to get the elevation right with that sliding adjustment they use.since I bought a gibertini I wouldnt use any other even the scale seems fairly accurate.

That's great news now for the "fun" part, setting it all up!
Please let us know how you get on.

Had the system fitted today, I'm recieving the following sats

1. 28.2E ASTRA 2A | ASTRA 2B | ASTRA 2D
2. 13E HOT BIRD 6 | HOT BIRD 8 | HOT BIRD 9
3. 19.2E ASTRA 1H | ASTRA 1KR | ASTRA 1L | ASTRA 1M
4. 16E SESAT 1

Bulsat isn't playing ball, all in all looking good, cheers for advice to all who offered.

I will keep you lot updated

Back