Newbie questions

glad your up and running mate,
I see you have only listed eastern sats have you tried any western ones?there are some good channels on 0.8W and 30W.and you say you cant get 39E yet so check your pole is 100% plumb,7E is also worth a look now that some service+ channels are testing on it.

I will have a look for other sats when I get a chance, probably tomorrow evening when he wifes at work.

I sure hope the dish is plumb, I had it installed by a pro.

Right I've had a good look through the sats tonight and found that.

I can get 0.8w, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 28.2e

I'm in the north west.

Pretty happy with what I've found so far.

Should I be able to get more or is this about normal?

Glad to hear it's setup. You should be able to find quite a few more depending on line of sight,
30W, 12.5w, 5w, 4.8E, 23.5E, 39E, 42E, 45E as these are fairly strong satellites then look for the weaker ones in between. 26E is a good find with the MBC channels, Dubai One and ABC in English, and 39E is a must! Let us know how you get on.
Best Wishes

Just been chatting to my pal who introduced me to the spiderbox, he's getting more sats, and only lives a 2 miles away, I'm sure I've a much better lnb and dish so think my system needs tweaking, I'm gonna have a read up on setting diseq motors up etc

Its all an education

I would get used to the box first, check your USALS settings, and check you have selected an active transponder to scan first. Not familiar with your box but I am sure others here can help if needed.

Glad to hear it's setup. You should be able to find quite a few more depending on line of sight,
30W, 12.5w, 5w, 4.8E, 23.5E, 39E, 42E, 45E as these are fairly strong satellites then look for the weaker ones in between. 26E is a good find with the MBC channels, Dubai One and ABC in English, and 39E is a must! Let us know how you get on.
Best Wishes

(Sorry to hijack the thread stu) but if you had a fixed dish with Spiderbox, which would be the best sat to point at to get the most out of the free gift?

Cheers

Dar

(Sorry to hijack the thread stu) but if you had a fixed dish with Spiderbox, which would be the best sat to point at to get the most out of the free gift?

Cheers

Dar

probably hotbird if you want football, to be fair I'm new to all this myself, I'm sure others could answer better, or have a look through the gift channels in spiderbox section

Last edited:
with a monoblock you could get 19E with some good film channels and eurosport in english plus 13E with nova cinema and other film channels together with the sport and xxx channels. 16E is also a good allround sat for films and documentary.

Well just to update I've just been up the ladder as the wind had disturbed the dish, so I sorted that out and have also foud the dish is far from plumb

hello mate if the mounting pole is not 100% plumb you will never get the sats you want and only the sat you set up on will be ok even though you may still get some other sats they will be below strength,wait for the wind to die down and do a complete re-set starting with the mounting pole,cant stress enough that it MUST be 100% plumb all round to track the arc.

What did you use to check the plumb of the pole? I have found most good quality spirit levels pretty useless TBH, if the pole is long enough you can get away with a plumb line checked around two axis, on a very calm day, but after buying a digital angle finder I wont use anything else now, it's just more accurate and a damn bit quicker.

IF the wind has moved the dish its self off center on the motor spigot that will also cause loss of tracking.

I'm still getting all the channels that I was before it moved, it was the motor that moved on the mount.

Where will I find a digital angle finder? Will the ebay jobies be any use? around £25

I phoned the installer today, he didn't seem to bothered, but he might be able to fine tune it next week??

Last edited:
Well 39E shouldn't need much fine tuning, it's pretty strong, I normally fine tune by checking sats at either end of the arc say 30W and 39E and check 1W again.
If he will check it for you great. The digital angle finder I use is a
"Digipas DWL-80G" either from that well known online "bookstore" or that (in)famous auction site, paid about £28.00 and I have found it invaluable for checking my dish mounts / pole etc, but some may find it a waste of money for a one off use! Let him have another go at it first though as a good 1m dish like yours should pick up "most" satellites up there when well setup.

Back