iMac New to Mac

K

Inactive User
Reaction score
Im awaiting apple delivering my new mac.. ive never had one before..

Anyhoo.. can anyone recommend any software.. ?? ive downloaded office 2011 for mac etc..

ta

Toast - burning tool
Spotify
Adobe suite
iWorks
VLC player

What is the attraction to a mac?

What are the benefits over a regular pc?

What is the attraction to a mac?

What are the benefits over a regular pc?

There used to be a lot of benefits when they used Motorola chips because they were true multi-tasking and more powerful, but now they use Intel single tasking chips (Intel/Amd chips use task switching to make it look like it's multitasking) they are no better than PC's, you just get way less for your money than a PC.

Most people buy Apple gear because of the styling, or they believe the hype. But when you compare what you actually get pound-for-pound, Apple stuff is just way over priced.

There are very good versions of the Apple OS that are fixed so you can install them on any PC. They work just as good as buying mac hardware.

Last edited:
There used to be a lot of benefits when they used Motorola chips because they were true multi-tasking and more powerful, but now they use Intel single tasking chips (Intel/Amd chips use task switching to make it look like it's multitasking) they are no better than PC's, you just get way less for your money than a PC.

Most people buy Apple gear because of the styling, or they believe the hype. But when you compare what you actually get pound-for-pound, Apple stuff is just way over priced.

There are very good versions of the Apple OS that are fixed so you can install them on any PC. They work just as good as buying mac hardware.

Great answer an as suspected.

I had an iphone 3g which i bought for £350 on pay as you go.

My son has an lg optimus which he bought for £120 on pay as you go.

And in all honesty i prefer the lg optimus over the iphone. Yes the iphone looked nicer and was of better build quality.

But apart from the touch screen the lg optimus is as good if not better than the iphone 3g.

Great answer an as suspected.

I had an iphone 3g which i bought for £350 on pay as you go.

My son has an lg optimus which he bought for £120 on pay as you go.

And in all honesty i prefer the lg optimus over the iphone. Yes the iphone looked nicer and was of better build quality.

But apart from the touch screen the lg optimus is as good if not better than the iphone 3g.

I am absolutely certain that you do not have your iphone set up to the best of its ability. If you have it set up to synch ota with google calendars, mail & contacts, it is absolutely fantastic.

However i am also a recent convert and have bought a macbook pro. The build is absolutely fantastic, and it just works as expected.

However i do have to say that apart from the straight forward stuff, i still do not have the faintest idea how to use it like i did a windows pc, and tbh, i am not sure that i would buy another due to this.

When the new os comes out, it is suposed to be more like an ios device, this may make it easier to use for the new converts. I have bought a couple of how to books, but i cant be arsed to read them at the moment.

OP - In regards to using office 2011, is this windows office 2011? I have heard that the best way to keep a virus from getting on to your mac, is to not use any windows software. So if i were you, i would install an alternative.

I would have a mac over a pc every time
for what reasons, i love the styling of the macs they look the nuts i must admit, but dont think i could change or convert to a mac. and like has been stated the hardware you get for the money you get much better bang for your buck with windows based systems!

hackintosh is the way to go, my little girl has a dell mini 10 on duel boot
windows xp and osx 10.6 she uses osx for music software and xp for everything else

hackintosh is the way to go, my little girl has a dell mini 10 on duel boot
windows xp and osx 10.6 she uses osx for music software and xp for everything else
iv asked this a few times over the years, maybe theres a decent easy way to do it now, but is there any easy tuts to follow as iv always wanted to be able to dual boot into either mac or windows, tried ubuntu but couldnt get along with it!

Back