New Box

what about the vu+solo. regards mdt

for 200 quid , there is wayyy better boxes out there , i wouldnt buy a tm800 if i was you (the offers of other members boxes should set alarm bells off lol) ,
i know u said £200 ... but believe me...£229 for a VU+ solo !! for the extra 29 quid , no other box comes close ! But it is Single tuner , but records and well , and HD and streaming and EPG is immense .
You could get a spiderbox 9000HD for £169 , very easy setup , i found it to be ok with my C Line ....Epg a little flakey sometimes though .
my advice...stick 29 quid to it , buy a VU ..u WILL NOT be dissappointed

if you have a pc with a spare pci x1 port - Quad tuner dvb-s2 - £200...................... just joking, although u should give pc tuners a thought, heard you can pause live, record, etc, twin tuners are usually less than £100.

I actually have a media center, which id be willing to use, as I think media center looks really slick, but I imagine getting support would be a pain in the arse as I dont know anyone who has a home made sat box, and Id need to use CS

Look up hadu (plugin) it's basicly cccam for pc (think there are other simular plugins, cant remember the names). It can be used in programs like progdvb, dvbviewer, etc. I havent tested it out myself yet, although i have seen a few videos of it on youtube. If your not sure about it and at one point you don't mind gambling around £25 to test it out, you can get a usb dvb-s tuner (qbox tuner clone) off ebay. Im gona try this out in a few months.

Well if I was gonna spend £200 on a receiver it would be the Qbox HD mini, twin tuner and exelent pic quality

[
Well if I was gonna spend £200 on a receiver it would be the Qbox HD mini, twin tuner and exelent pic quality
Totally agree... its the best box on the market for £200 as a matter of fact i think its one of the best linux box around [probably gonna upset a few peeps] but i actually prefer it to the vu, find it alot more stable.
The only 2 disappointing things with it... there is no mgcamd but oscam works really well, and the pernnament timeshift isnt that good which im sure will be fix with next few updates...

Twin tuner value for money you guys are probably right Qbox does represent good value, but actual price is 230 ish quid, 200 quid is the price without the additional tuner.
Hardware and feature wise agianst other recievers though Qbox looks underspecced...Slower CPU for starters, no internal hard disk support or SATA.
Softcams in their pure form dont work, from what I understand there is no CCCAM support, you have to use the RADAR softcam which will accept C-lines but as a result ECM times are apparently poor.
The reciever is not capable of operating in server mode, it doesnt accept standard Enigma 2 plugins that havent been converted/made compatible.
There is at the moment only really a couple of images mainly the WOS image. It's shaping up to be one for the future I will keep an eye on it.
So at 200 pounds in single tuner form it's nowhere near the best Linux box for the price. The old DM800 HD PRO Clones have superior hardware and software spec and are under 120 GBP. For a 150 Quid you get a DM800SE clone with 400mhz CPU, Media player etc again superior hardware spec to the Qbox.

With the fairly cheap second tuner though the Qbox becomes good value.

@Magicalbeef

What box if any did you go for in the end?

I'm in pretty much the same dilemma, I'm looking to replace my TM800, but after owning TM's for a while I think it's time for something different, so the TM5402 is out of the question,
I'm torn between Qbox HD Mini, VU+ Solo or DM800SE clone and maybe the Blade but I would prefer Linux (I like to tinker),

Not bothered about streaming from the box, but Internet and network streaming to the box is a must for me.

the tm5402 and the blade are pretty much the same thing m8, with net and network streaming TO the receiver

Thanks DD, I have considered the 5402/Blade, it certainly sounds good and spec suits me, but I think it's got to be the Penguin for me.

The one thing I will miss with the TM800 is wifi, so I will be keeping it as a portable box to use in any room,
So I guess it would be also nice to have a wifi option with my new box.

Damn I so wish this TM800 was sorted as I really don't want to have to give it up, oh well I'm getting a new toy :)

Hi m8 I got the 800se clone and very much enjoying it, plenty off support/images/plugins etc. If you not bothered with the twin tuner then imho go for it. I had an old usb wifi dongle lying about model number TL WN 321G plug it in to the box and the wifi works perfectly. They are available online for about 7 quid. Good look what ever you choose.

Me: DM800se Clone, DM600 original, TM6900 super Combo, 42" Plasma TV
Her: Streamline Ironing Board, Delux iron, Hotpoint Dishwasher and Washing Machine

I know I'm totally off-topic but I so love it Cuebase

m

I just picked up a DM800HD PVR with a 320gb hd for 200 brick

But it's doing my head in looking for a good image :)

Back