networking for a beginner

easymo3

DW Member +
Reaction score
Guy's i want to have a look at networking but have no idea as to where to start. Are there any websites where i can maybe follow a tutorial of something just to see if i could get my head around the whole idea of networks.The reason is I need to look at a new direction job wise.
thanks for any input.

have you got any IT experience ?

No,that is why i need something to have a look at to see if I can get around networks.
I have a elearning account with 10 days free trial,i can now turn decimal into binary and then hex and back again but it takes me ages to do,I suppose it is a new learning process.

What are you trying to achieve. I find learning by example and achieving the overall objective.

Looking for a change in direction of work,been in residential telecoms/satellite etc for a long time now.
Been self employed since 1999 but recently work has dried up and so I am ready to have a go at something new.

maybe have a look at something like MS Networking Fundementals or CompTIA Network+ are both entry level courses and material is available in usual places.

Else have you had a look on youtube for Networking for Dummies ?

maybe have a look at something like MS Networking Fundementals or CompTIA Network+ are both entry level courses and material is available in usual places.

Else have you had a look on youtube for Networking for Dummies ?

Been looking at the cisco website,there is a course before compTIA

Interactive Career Path - Cisco Networking Academy

not sure of costs,is there a way of getting this info without the abundance of agency's trying to sell it to you?

Been looking at the cisco website,there is a course before compTIA

Interactive Career Path - Cisco Networking Academy

not sure of costs,is there a way of getting this info without the abundance of agency's trying to sell it to you?

Simple answer is yes. The Cisco route is kinda dry and uninspiring. You also need to be at a certain level to take advantage of their courses - very techy-techy at Cisco ;)

Yep, about half-way between York and Selby M8 -

I'm also thinking that it might be a good thread on here with lots of possible contributions...

I thought you were much further North.

Seem to remember someone telling me it was "positively mediterranean" down here,

when you had the odd snowflake, just around 40 miles away ! Fraud !:LOL:

Last edited:
I thought you were much further North.

Seem to remember someone telling me it was "positively mediterranean" down here,

when you had the odd snowflake, just around 40 miles away ! Fraud !:LOL:

I had my tongue in my cheek ;)

why don't you put some up to date info/tuts together..

I'll have a think about that, in the meantime Wikibooks is a good place to start for anyone wanting to do a bit of reading up.

For networking: CompTIA Network+ study notes - Network Plus Certification - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Other IT Technical: Wide range - Subject:Computing - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

As it's a free library be aware there may be omissions...

@Mods, is there an opportunity here to run a networking thread for people?

Yes, but begin with the basics. Then work the way up over a number of threads.
It was something I done on here many moons ago (bout 10 years ago)

I would suggest a new thread for each topic.

But as I say start at the basics.

Topology, network types etc. I would include 10base2/5 before moving onto T.
Then onto TCP/IP

(TT)

Yes, but begin with the basics. Then work the way up over a number of threads.
It was something I done on here many moons ago (bout 10 years ago)

I would suggest a new thread for each topic.

But as I say start at the basics.

Topology, network types etc. I would include 10base2/5 before moving onto T.
Then onto TCP/IP

(TT)

That was where I was leaning because all the stuff I've ever seen assumes people already know the basics. There's plenty of stuff on-line at the next level but it can be a bit too big a jump for many.

Back