Network Plugs?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
Evening chaps,

I've got 2 old 85m PLC Adapter network plugs. They're to connect the attic with the front room for the Sly CS. They work fine, but now i want to have another plug in the attic for streaming. Can i just buy another plug and away to go, or will i need another pair?

Cheers

Dar

What is model, etc? If it was done to HomePlug standard (ideally HomePlug AV2) then you can use another one to just add on as per standard.

Not sure about really old ones before the HomePlug standard.

What is model, etc? If it was done to HomePlug standard (ideally HomePlug AV2) then you can use another one to just add on as per standard.

Not sure about really old ones before the HomePlug standard.

Just says 85M PLC Adapter? Think it's some cheapo lol

Just googled and it's by a company called iplink. It's only HomePlug 1.0. The original standard introduced 2001 :)

According to wiki, HomePlug AV (the second version) was backward compatible with your HomePlug.

Problem is that HomePlug AV2 is the standard now and wiki doesn't state whether this standard is compatible with your original version.

What I would do is buy another homeplug (or powerline as they were known in older days) and if it doesn't work or causes issues then you would have to then buy a pair (I would buy the pair from same company as you bought the new single one).

I can't see any other options but it also means you're now wasting money on something you can't use because either way you still need a single homeplug.

PS: For manual, google "85mplc adapter" and it's first result.

If i were to buy another pair, could they interfere with the original pair?

It's a completely different standard and it's not clear from homeplug wiki whether the current standard (AV2) is compatible with your original standard (v1).

As I mentioned, I would buy one (or a pair) now and see if it causes problems and if it does you would then have to buy another one (or another pair).

I'm mentioning extra pair just in case you could need one in future as it's most likely cheaper to get a pair than to buy one on it's own.

I take it the 85M means 85 Mbps , if thats the case you would just need another 85Mbps plug , you cant mix 85Mbps with 200 or 500Mbps plugs
although the latter 2 are interchangeable

Back