netger (refurbed router?) - no internet connection!!

im trying to browse for the printer i see a few names,

i click on the netwrok - but it doesn't allow me to connect to the printer -

it says "windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server"??

where is the printer originaly installed ? on the pc with xp on it? have you had a look about on in regarding sharing resources? did you share it like the text said ?

i've installed the printer software on both pc and laptop.

but i have connected the printer to the laptop?

ah, what you should have done is just installed it on one machine, and then on the other went to find it on the network.

Ok if it's on the laptop with vista have you got sharing enabled ?????

the computer that it is connected to needs to be set up for network sharing and to be on....

Vista is a git for sharing stuff on a network...plug the printer into the desktop (XP) box and once shared you will be able to print with it on your XP and Vista machines....

that sounds like a good idea matey....lol as vista is a bitch unless you know it.

i'd do that me like, sounds much easier if your having problems with it connected to vista.

Untitled-2.jpg

yeahon vista it seems as if sharing is on.

printer sharing is on and i've also changed the printer options to sharing.

so shall i connect the printer on my desktop pc?? but i want to keep the printer at another location..

well leave it where it is and go and uninstall it from the xp machine, then when you go to install don't use the disk or any thing have a look for network printer and it should be there.

Control Panel, and clicked Printers and Other Hardware.

Add a Printer.

Instead of adding a local printer, though, I clicked Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.

Excellent its figured out.

Now....

how about doing this wirelessly??

my printer isn't wireless, but can i get a wireless firewire adapter? the connection on the printer is firewire to usb?

yes mate but there about 50 quid, not be cheaper to just get a new printer these days?

haha yeah true.

thanks for all your help!!!!! much appreciated!

good luck and welcome to your new home network.:Clap:

get them drives mapped and tightvnc installed then your in control from one machine !

Back