netgear dg834g

john!

DW Regular
Reaction score
hi i also aquired a netgear dg834g router and wondered if this could be used on virgin (ntl) also if it can has any 1 got the drivers for his router as i never got them with it ,..thanx guys

ps sorry to be so direct , just finished my work and im knackered

That router is for ADSL so I don't think it will work for cable.

You should find everything you need here ;)

:)

I think you should get it to work, as its a router.

You just will not be using the ADSL modem part, I assume you will plug your Cable Modem in via the Ethernet port. Then all you would have to do is setup the routing table;)

hi and thanx guys, i was going to use it as a wireless router , hopefully ! so was wonderin if it would work wireless with a ordinary wireless adapter ?

Hi John, Unless the router has an ethernet uplink port and the ability to completely disable the ADSL modem, it won't be possible to use it m8 but in some case's like yours for example if you can get the router to manage both a LAN and WAN IP's so it routes traffic via the cable modem then you might just get away with it. ;)

Would be interested to see how you get on m8, cheers & Good luck.

hi stressed thanx 4 reply, any chance on elaborating ,so i can understand a bit more,, thanx

quote=Stressed;1211568]Hi John, Unless the router has an ethernet uplink port and the ability to completely disable the ADSL modem, it won't be possible to use it m8 but in some case's like yours for example if you can get the router to manage both a LAN and WAN IP's so it routes traffic via the cable modem then you might just get away with it. ;)

Would be interested to see how you get on m8, cheers & Good luck.[/quote]

A combined Router and ADSL modem is what you have m8 it has a conventional modem cable (RJ11 to RJ11 or RJ11 to BT phone socket) for its WAN port and this can Only be connected to an ADSL enabled phone line but saying that you might be able to make it work if you do a little how work about the model router you have to see if you can make it route the traffic via your cable modem i'm sure it might work with a bit of testing to see how it goes when connected. if you do get into the routers web based settings you may be lucky and are able to turn of the Adsl modem part so you can gain access to the router only m8. ;)

This might work...I had a similar netgear wireless router which I tried forever to get to work with another modem, and wouldn't until I tried some a little bit indirect.

- Turn off the DHCP on router, and puts put its ip as 192.168.1.101 or whatever, same subnet as modem, but not ip.

- then goto basic settings i think it is, say you dont need a password to login. the put in the ip details. here is the crazy stuff, but it worked for me, but not the exact same situation. tick the box to chose static ip, not assigned from isp. put as the gateway the ip of the modem, so 192.168.1.100, give yourself any ip in the same subnet, but not the main ip you set in lan settings when you turned off the dhcp. 255.255.255.0 as the mask. and i think that's it. it may not like it as the adsl modem is still going, or it may work, worth a try.

- if it works, you will have to set ips of all the other computers manually as you have turned off the dhcp.

could be bullshit, i did this ages ago, and its always easier when you're sat there in front of it fiddling with the setting for a day!

Seems like alot of hassle to me, I bought a Netgear wireless router(wgR614) made for cable, and i got it up and running(on my hooky mod !) in about 10 mins, nice and simple, no faffing around channig settings, just spend about £30.00 and make life easy.

The Starman

hi guys thanx again, gonna be durin week b4 , can meddle with it,i dont need it i was just curious what i had and what i could do with it but wil let yous all know how i get on l8tr any 1 with anymore info feel free to post your suggestions

I've also got one of these. As far as I know, the router only accepts the ADSL interface as the WAN connection.

So the only way I can think around this is to turn off the DHCP server and turn the router effectivly into a switch.

Of course, standered modem configs have CPE set to 1, so it will only assign you one IP before refusing to give out any more leases. Get a config with like CPE=5 (cant remember the names), and the modem will give out up to 5 external IP's. If you have more devices you wish to connect, then you will have to purchase a proper router.

Of course by doing this, you will assign yourself external direct-internet IP's to all your devices. That can either be good or bad, depending on how you see it. Good being that you dont need to fiddle with port forwarding etc, bad being that you loose the simple security of having a router for any inbound connection attempts.

Back