Need a Router

Don't buy a router mate until you have read this

ht*p://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/10172-what-supported-virgin-media-what-isn.html

If you buy your own modem you will not get any support what so ever from virgin, but thread above gives recommended modems, ensure you get a 50mb compatible modem as there is a big upgrade comming soon..

Read the thread ive linked above,,

The thread was written at a time when they were not even offering 20mb let alone 50mb.

Does anybody know the Netgear one they supply ?

Still haven't purchased my router. However a friend was telling me today that his brother use to have a 'G' router and has now purchased an 'N' router... Whats the difference?

Still haven't purchased my router. However a friend was telling me today that his brother use to have a 'G' router and has now purchased an 'N' router... Whats the difference?

It the wireless standard support.
G = max 54 mbps, typical real world of around 30mbps
N = max 300 mbps, typical real work of 80 mbps

Also N has a greater range.

Two things to note, the wireless adaptor in your computer has to support N to get the benefits else potentially you may get worse performance then G to G (there are some compability issues with other equipment). N standard is not yet ratified so you may get compatibility issues with different brands, though I believe most have been ironed out through firmware updates.

It the wireless standard support.
G = max 54 mbps, typical real world of around 30mbps
N = max 300 mbps, typical real work of 80 mbps

Also N has a greater range.

Two things to note, the wireless adaptor in your computer has to support N to get the benefits else potentially you may get worse performance then G to G (there are some compability issues with other equipment). N standard is not yet ratified so you may get compatibility issues with different brands, though I believe most have been ironed out through firmware updates.

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g Mini Card Wireless
thats the card i have on mine.

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g Mini Card Wireless
thats the card i have on mine.

That should not have a problem connect to a N router.

Question you got to ask yourself is do you want to pay £100 for future proofing yourself or save the money and get a G router for now and upgrade in the future ?

That should not have a problem connect to a N router.

Question you got to ask yourself is do you want to pay £100 for future proofing yourself or save the money and get a G router for now and upgrade in the future ?

think i'll just stick to the 'g' for now, upgrade later on...

Thanks for help and info..

Back