Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need a Router

NL7

Inactive User
Basically i've ordered my laptop from dell, now need to buy a router in order to go wireless. Also want to connect my ps3 with it.

BB is with Virgin, 20MB. Don't want to spend too much, got to be as cheap as possible, im skint as it is. LOL

Which one do i buy??

linksys all the way IMO i have always use linksys routers very easy to setup and use and if you get one in a sale not too bad a price

linksys do make good wireless routers?

for wireless it always linksys for me (hense why i do not own one)

for wired i always plumb for netgear

What do you mean by wired and wireless router?

Also you suggest Linksys, any particular models?

wireless or wifi means u don't need to have your pc plugged via a UTP lead. You will have a wifi adapter in your computer or lappy and it connect via rf to the router.

wired use network leads

WIFI is inherently insecure so i don't use it at all. (disabled on both pc's)

I own 2 pc's that are directly connected via Network leads to my router all at gigabit speeds.
Quick and far more secure

wireless or wifi means u don't need to have your pc plugged via a UTP lead. You will have a wifi adapter in your computer or lappy and it connect via rf to the router.

wired use network leads

WIFI is inherently insecure so i don't use it at all. (disabled on both pc's)

I own 2 pc's that are directly connected via Network leads to my router all at gigabit speeds.
Quick and far more secure

How is it insecure? What could go wrong?

No, you shouldnt need anything else. The only extra you would need would be cables if you wanted to add any other computers that do not have wireless.

It's insecure because everything is just flying through the air and can potentially be picked up by anyone with a laptop and the right software. It's vital that you set up the right encryption properly with a nice long complicated password. I would say it's pretty damn safe using WPA encryption and a good strong password. Don't be scared off it is what i'm saying.

That's a slightly older (maybe discontinued) model, the Ebuyer one is the speed booster verison, PC world don't sell the older one anymore. I think to get anything out of the speedbooster thing (which isn't really needed anyway) you have to have a compatible linksys card in your laptop. So if you can wait get the cheap one, if not get down to PC World. I think PC world only match prices from certain places, there's a thing about it on the DSG group website somewhere.

Has anyone else seen any benefit from Linksys Speedbooster technology?

Try this as well

You can turn off broadcasting SSID on the Linksys, which is always a good idea. However I changed my network name from the default first. Also if you are using it with a laptop remember to select "connect to network if not broadcasting". Just means your laptop will connect to the network even if the SSID is not being bropadcast. This is one thing I couldn't work out on my laptop to start with.

Rob.

Oh yes so it does. I know for a fact though that the two models are WRT54G and WRT54GS, possibly a mistake somewhere.

Oh yes so it does. I know for a fact though that the two models are WRT54G and WRT54GS, possibly a mistake somewhere.

hmmm.. give them a call tmrw and see what they say.. Gota buy something else from them so kill two birds with one stone..

For all you recommending Linksys, I would say that above 10 mb, I have found the router to be a bottleneck. I think there is another thread about this just posted.

Personally I would look at Aria who do a TP-Link wireless router with extended range chipset and it work fine at 20mb and also seems to have better range then the linksys routers. I believe its on offer for around £20 at the moment.

Don't buy a router mate until you have read this

ht*p://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/10172-what-supported-virgin-media-what-isn.html

If you buy your own modem you will not get any support what so ever from virgin, but thread above gives recommended modems, ensure you get a 50mb compatible modem as there is a big upgrade comming soon..

Read the thread ive linked above,,

Last edited:
Back