N95 or M700

Nelly

Member ++
Reaction score
My contracts up soon and looking to get a new phone, which would be your choice?
Nokia N95 or Orange M700?

Ive seen the M700 in action but not the N95 in what way does the N95 score over the M700?

M700 m8 as you can install tomtom and use your build in gps fuction but the n95 the build in gps is not compatible yet with tomtom, tomtom are working now with a patch for the n95

I can't really say about the M700 as I haven't used one m8 so can't give you a 'reasonable' comparison.

But I can say I have just got an N95 and am over the moon with it, now that I have removed all the Voda branding.

:)

(I upgraded from a N70 BTW)

The M700 i have seen has had the branding removed it looks pretty good the GPS problem on the N95 is an issue but i do use a PDA at the mo, my mates M700 got him on a 3hr jaunt without charger plugged also, i dont know how the N95 would fair?

I used the GPS the weekend just gone and it ran for around 4hrs with no probs. I had 6 out of 7 bars when I set off and 2 out of 7 when I got back home. And we was at the lakes for about 6 hrs too on top of the 4hrs traveling time! That was using TomTom and a BT GPS, and some WiFi and phone calls too.

And being as the Bluetooth chip uses a lot more juice than the built in GPS chip once TomTom release there patch to utilise it it will get a lot further.

All the reviews about the bad battery life are a load of swollocks if you ask me. These peeps are using the device NON STOP all day while they are reviewing it so yes the battery won't last long as the N95 has sooooo much you can do with it.

Obviously your first few charges won't last as long. It's the same with all batteries, they need to be fully charged and discharged a few times before they reach there optimum performance. I must admit though that it had me worried at first as it didn't last long at all.

Just switch off Wifi and Bluetooth when your not using them and you will be fine. And if that's still not good enough for you there's already 3rd party company's working on replacement high capacity batteries for it, like they also do with most other phones.

Another thing worth noting is that most, if not all of the reviews out there was done with prototypes or the old firmware. I am using the V11.0.026 FW which is reported to utilise the phones power saving feature better.

But at the end of the day this is just my own personal experiance with an N95 so take it any which way you like....lol

another vote for the n95 here, my dads just got one and its brilliant, i put tomtom on it and it flows brilliantly using my tomtom bluetooth reciever, im jealous :( lol

Just to make a note on the N95, It breaks very easy and I mean easy, I work for Vodafone as a repair technician and we have (as of yesterday - 17/05/2007) 41 phones in for repair with 11 of them all have internal cracked screens

Just to make a note on the N95, It breaks very easy and I mean easy, I work for Vodafone as a repair technician and we have (as of yesterday - 17/05/2007) 41 phones in for repair with 11 of them all have internal cracked screens

How much would you charge for a screen and a mainboard (the part the screen plugs into)?

Sorry to highjack but I may have killed mine and as I debranded I don't think my warranty is going to pay out.....

Intresting but how does this compare with other phones? cheers.

can i just clarify something here, if i got an N95 i couldnt use the built in GPS with tom tom v 6?? why ?

can i just clarify something here, if i got an N95 i couldnt use the built in GPS with tom tom v 6?? why ?

Because all the current GPS software, Nokia MAPS aside, is set to search for an external Bluetooth GPS unit. Once company's like TT release an update to search for the internal one it will then use it if you like ;)

I can't really say about the M700 as I haven't used one m8 so can't give you a 'reasonable' comparison.

But I can say I have just got an N95 and am over the moon with it, now that I have removed all the Voda branding.

(I upgraded from a N70 BTW)
just got mine from voda, what is involved and what are the benifits of removing the branding? cheers

If you are not looking for a phone with a camera I'd recommend the SE w950i. It's a symbian phone and I have Tomtom 6 running on it via bluetooth GPS. Tomtom works a lot better than it did on my Nokia N70 and the touch screen is the cherry on the cake, oh and it has 4gb built in memory.

It is older than the N95 so you should be able to get a good deal on one

Crazy

How much would you charge for a screen and a mainboard (the part the screen plugs into)?

Sorry to highjack but I may have killed mine and as I debranded I don't think my warranty is going to pay out.....
how did you kill it????

Another N95 vote. I've had mine about 10 days and can't fault it so far. Thankfully it's a huge improvement on the N80. My last phone was an SPV M3100, I don't ever want a touch screen phone again! Buttons are just easier. I can't speak for the M700, but Tomtom runs better on the N95 that the M3100. I used to get it freezing if I navigated around the screens too quickly. I think my 4Gb memory card will come tomorrow, perfect.

Debranding has a couple of advantages. The first for me being that I was able to upgrade my firmware before Orange had approved it, which could take months. The second being VOIP which is disabled by Orange and Voda (don't know about the others). Truphone works flawlessly.

To Monkey, I returned my N80 to Orange after debranding and everything was absolutely fine. It still turned on and everything, so they could tell what I'd done.

how did you kill it????

I didn't kill it, it. well. errrrr.....

Thing is, it kinda tried to paticipate in drinking a pint of beer with me and had a little more than it could handle :FRIGHT:

: spank :

Opened it up and cleaned it out and still dead so took it to CPW who tried to repair it with no luck so they sent it to Nokia :FRIGHT: who also couldn't repair it so they replaced it with a shiny new one.

id never trust "patches for later" its then the phone thats not been designed with it in mind where it shud be that way around

Back