My installation problem!?

on the motor, you should see an allen key type screw holding the 'pipe' onto it, ondo this and theres 2 sliders inside, an east and a west one, slide the west one to the limit you need and put it all back together

Theres a picture of my motor which of those do i loosen and tighten?

the big one attached to the pole thing?

The arm that you would attach your dish has allen key type screw you loosen that and set your limits.

im using gemini 4.31 and ive hooked up the motor to the reciever but not the LNB to check it worked and stuff

it moves east - west manually and if i tell it to goto stored satellite pos 1 or 15 etc etc it moves the that location but when i select a satelliter and say move there it just goes to 0

anyone know what im doing wrong?

do i need to manually goto say 13e adn then store that as 13e on sats list

Dark Motor
Eagle Linux
Gemini 4.31

is what im using

Ive been looking and it seems all my sats are set as 0 degrees? do you need to manually locate by using the preset positions on the motor?

the locations are all off in booklet though

Only locations listed are below

Thor 1w
Eurobird 13e

closest stored position in the manual is 28e Arabsat? do i just go there and then manually locate 28.2e using small nudges til signals full?

Last edited:
tick the gotoxx box in motor setup m8, and enter your lat/lon, its then autonmatic

tick the gotoxx box in motor setup m8, and enter your lat/lon, its then autonmatic

i did that but all sats are still set as 0 degrees

I tried an Eagle Image using ethernet see if that helped and now the box just keeps restarting....going to have to take a trip down me mams now to use me sisters pc as my usb rs232 cable refuses to work no mateer what ive treid

anyone know a cheap place for a south facing wall mount/bracket? £60 seems a bit steep at the minute for one as im skint

dont think my east wall mounts going to get line of sight to Thor as i didnt take into consideration the guttering on the wall which comes out about 10 inches!!

anyone know a cheap place for a south facing wall mount/bracket? £60 seems a bit steep at the minute for one as im skint

dont think my east wall mounts going to get line of sight to Thor as i didnt take into consideration the guttering on the wall which comes out about 10 inches!!

I used these guys for a set of 24 inch T&K brackets at just under £25 delivered next day.

http://www.digital-world.uk.com/index.php/cPath/195_105?osCsid=98d9adcadd3552e7f448f09a1a21569e

I think somethings up with my Dark Motor / Eagle Linux Box

Ive entered my lat and long correctly in settings

then next screen it gives the option to goto Satellite so i click the goto 28.2e and it just goes to 0 degrees for all the sats

is this normal for usals setup or should it be going to where they are?

tried hard reset and other resets but still the same even tried different image but nothing

then next screen it gives the option to

goto Satellite
goto positiion
goto 0
position

So i click the goto satellite and pick 28.2e or 19.2e etc and it just goes to 0 degrees for all the sats

tried hard reset and other resets but still the same even tried different image but nothing

is Dreambox 500 / Eagle Linux Clone capable or usals?

then next screen it gives the option to goto Satellite so i click the goto 28.2e and it just goes to 0 degrees for all the sats

Once you have ticked the usals and entered you lat/long just save the settings and come out of the menu and then go to 'automatic satellite anmd transponders scan and pick Thor. If it automatically goes to 0 than you could try adjusting your dish to see if you can pick up BBC World.

Once you have ticked the usals and entered you lat/long just save the settings and come out of the menu and then go to 'automatic satellite anmd transponders scan and pick Thor. If it automatically goes to 0 than you could try adjusting your dish to see if you can pick up BBC World.

Ive installed captains settings from 14/04 so my transponders should be upto date

so is it normal that i say goto Asta2 28.2e and it just goes to 0 degrees if ive set usals? do i need to set those locations on the motor manually by going into the pre definded settings and finding it from there?

13e Hotbirds set but there isnt one for Astra / 16e / 19e and so on

A fornight ago whilst messing about trying to tune Dubai 1 on 26E BADR which is sometimes difficult because it so close to Astra 28.2E I accidently set a 'position' on my motor whereby when I picked any of the channels on Astra 28.2E it would go to 0. All of the other channels were perfect but it was just this one particular satellite which when selected went to 0. I managed to fix it by removing everything in the menu for manually sending the satellite to a position. Do you get any picture or signal on Thor?

I havent put the dish up yet someones supposed to be coming tomorrow to install it. Its a bit high where i want it installed and some people have had issues

i dont want to pay someone to install it though only to find i have a faulty motor or something so i plugged it into my Eagle Linux box and then tested it out

It moves East to West fine and itll goto the stored positions in the motor fine

but when i select the Goto Satellite option then select a satellite in the next box and then click on the Go button it just goes to 0 degrees for every single sat

has something messed up?? should it be going where ever i tell it since im using usals?

Or do you need to have the lnb attached for usals to work?

Last edited:
I never bother with the 'Blue' menu in the motor setup except when I have tied my motor up inot knots because I have been flicking too fast between satellites. I pick my channels/satellies with the bouquets and it goes to the right satellite according to the captain settings.

As you do not have your satellite setup mounted properly it is difficult to advise.

Personally I would start from scratch by flashing a new image, set the usals, iimport the captains settings and use that to send it to Thor and keep playing till I could get a picture on BBC World and then take it from there by tuning the 28.2E, 19E 16E 13E.

I maybe wrong but I think your motor and reciever are just messed up with all the fiddling you have been doing whilst testing the configuration.

Last edited:
i did a fresh install and even tried using different images. I also did factory reset in between on the motor

still doesnt move to the satellites just goes to 0 degrees for everyone

not sure what to do now

Usals also uses the received signal on some images/receivers to fine adjust the dish automatically. a technomate 1500 receiver will constantly 'twitch' the dish if the signal varies to try and improve it

by not having it connected to the dish yet, it may be possible that its attempting to reset itself before looking for a signal

if you have a professional coming to install itreflash the receiver, and dont set it up, put it back in the box, write down your lat lon settings and let the guy set it all up for you. equipment can be faulty when new, as everythings so mass produced, but it doesnt happen often

Should i have went for a TM2200 then instea dof dark motor?

you have been better taking digidudes offer and pay hime the 120 quid mate, i'm sure he would have kept you right on everything needed :)

those dark motors are pretty good but the tm2200 is a top motor, i use one and have fitted a few others recently...

The reason i chose Dark Motor was because i had a eagle linux box which ive been told sometimes doesnt run TM2200

All this is starting to annoy me now. Cant find anyone who will fit the dish on my north facing wall (7-8m to guttering)

The reason i chose Dark Motor was because i had a eagle linux box which ive been told sometimes doesnt run TM2200

All this is starting to annoy me now. Cant find anyone who will fit the dish on my north facing wall (7-8m to guttering)

Should you not have enquired before you bought it? There is a serious lack of installers who install motorised systems, Pleanty for Sky right enough

Back