Moving master Telephone socket

tlogic

Inactive User
Reaction score
I want to move my master telephone socket in the living room, what cable can I use for this? BT are charging £140 to move it. :grayno: any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Technically the BT master socket is BT's property and it used to be "illegal" to tamper with.
It maybe different now though.

NOT sent from my PC/Laptop.

You only need two cores. In the old days, they used to use bell cable. I doubt that you would want to do this as it is their property/responsibility up to the Master socket. Use 4/6 or 8 core cable and you will be fine. Even network cable is fine.

Here is one possible cable Telephone Cable 2 Pair 4 Core 100m | Screwfix.com

You can use the suggestions stated above.

I think you can run extensions from it.
You can open the face plate and run your wires from there. Just use 2 cables connected to 2 and 5. If your extension socket comes with a capacitor fitted inside then you don't need a 3rd cable for the ringer.

I haven't done it in a long time so someone correct me please.

On Extensions
2= Blue with white stripe
5= White with blue stripe
3 (optional for extensions) = Orange with white stripe.

Easiest way to remember is white has 5 letters. To be honest the colours are there to help identify the cables, it does not matter which one you use so long as you connect to the same terminal on both sockets. Been caught out where someone has used different colours.

Master sockets only have B and A on the inputs.

Still illegal to tamper with them, doesn't mean to say people don't or do out of necessity.

Sorry to cut to the basics but...

...the point would be?

Why move it? It's in the way? The wall is coming down?

I wanted it moved because I didn't want any surface mounted cabling, I would have fed the extension cable underneath the floorboards but that a lot of hassle as that would mean taking up the carpet and hardboard. I've found a solution though was speaking to my neighbor a few doors down from me who coincidentally is a BT engineer he has offered to do it for me for free, :fishpair: which is a touch. Getting to know your neighbours is not a bad thing.

Back