Dashcam wired to cigarette socket

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys..I've had a nextbase dashcam wired to my car cigarette socket for about a year now..was all working fine. Now the dashcam works but the cigarette socket stopped working. I used one of those dashcam hardwire kits from amazon, where the the dashcam powers up via piggybacking off the cigarette lighter socket fuse . If I take the dashcam connection out and put back just the 20A ciggy fuse back in , the cigarette lighter socket starts working , but when both are connected, the dashcam works but not the cigarette lighter socket?
Any ideas?

This kit here I use

https://amzn.eu/d/cctvzxL

Sounds like a brake in the adapter that feeds back to the cigarette lighter. Do you have a multimeter to test continuity? Possibly corroded or a bent terminal where the fuse meets the adaptor terminal?

Sounds like a brake in the adapter that feeds back to the cigarette lighter. Do you have a multimeter to test continuity? Possibly corroded or a bent terminal where the fuse meets the adaptor terminal?
Yes I do will do that...I have a multimeter..was thinking of just moving it to some other fuse but I'm assuming same thing will happen?

If using a piggyback fuse connector, it should have 2 fuses, 1 for the dashcam and 1 for the cigarette lighter, sounds like the lighter fuse has blown.

If using a piggyback fuse connector, it should have 2 fuses, 1 for the dashcam and 1 for the cigarette lighter, sounds like the lighter fuse has blown.
Yes like that..lighter fuse 20a fine..

Did you check both fuses in the piggyback connector ?

Yes both good..I'll try another location on fuse board?
What can I connect to? Need only power when ignition on..not permanent..vw golf mk6 tdi

OK guys...I put the connection with the piggyback fuse to fuse number 41 ..this is for the rear wiper motor...dashcam working fine and so does rear wiper motor. I left the ciggy lighter fuse as it is. Seems to be working fine 🙂

Back