Moving from 2HDDS to 2 new ones??

Gun_Man

Inactive User
Reaction score
So I have just upgraded my pc. I currently have 2 SATA HDD’s that are set to RAID0 so in a way they are working as a team. Both of them are 80 gig each with a combined total of 160 gig at RAID0. Thing is they are now full. So I have ordered a new motherboard and 2 new HDDs. These are also SATA and I want to run them at raid0 as well. They are 500gig each so how will I transfer all my data from the two that I have at the moment to the two new ones. Don’t forget this is not like a IDE drive where you can just ghost one on to the other. Well at least I don’t think that is the case with SATA RAID?
Also if it is possible what software can I use to this i.e Norton Ghost?

i am sure from ghost v9 (current version is v12) has dealt with raid 0 and other raid configurations.

you obviously have your reasons to run raid 0, is it just because its there and u can ? i have always been warry of running raid 0 because if either disk has a wobbly then u loss all your data because of this configuration.

other backup utils that will work are acronis true image and drive image pro i am sure there are others.

So I have just upgraded my pc. I currently have 2 SATA HDD’s that are set to RAID0 so in a way they are working as a team. Both of them are 80 gig each with a combined total of 160 gig at RAID0. Thing is they are now full. So I have ordered a new motherboard and 2 new HDDs. These are also SATA and I want to run them at raid0 as well. They are 500gig each so how will I transfer all my data from the two that I have at the moment to the two new ones. Don’t forget this is not like a IDE drive where you can just ghost one on to the other. Well at least I don’t think that is the case with SATA RAID?
Also if it is possible what software can I use to this i.e Norton Ghost?

Three questions,

1. Software or hardware RAID, if in hardware does Windows see one big 160 GB disk in disk manager ?

2. Are you planning on continuing to use RAID 0 or are you happy to have the two disks separate. Obviously there are major risks with RAID0 about losing all you data and for the average home user, the speed increase is hardly worth it.

3. Do you have second PC or case that you can use ?

maybe you could do one drive at a time . ie put in 1 500gb and 1 80gb transfer data therrn replace the 80 gb and transfer from that, then set up your raid configuration. another option could be a tempory hard drive case (icybox).

I think it will bsod u even if u manage to clone it, new motherboard and all its lovely new devices kills windows 9/10 times anyway, id set the drives up and install windows then using the backup id written to cd/dvd pen drive or whatever put the data i wanted back.
New windows is a treat anyway

I think it will bsod u even if u manage to clone it, new motherboard and all its lovely new devices kills windows 9/10 times anyway, id set the drives up and install windows then using the backup id written to cd/dvd pen drive or whatever put the data i wanted back.
New windows is a treat anyway

Exactly why I was checking if he was using hardware RAID, unless the RAID driver is the same he is going to have problems. Though might get away with a system recovery.

Also if he wishes to continue using RAID then RAID will need to be setup on the new M/B so no good connecting all 4 disks to the old machine.

If you are fitting a new mainboard then you would have to use M$ SysPrep tool to prepare the OS for first OOBE which allows transfer to new hardware.

The latest Acronis software reportedly allows for this as well but I have had limited results trying it.

It would be less hassle and probably a good idea anyway to do a fresh installation of everything.

A friend of mine has let me have his 200gig IDE HDD. what i am going to do is back up all my files that i want to keep on that IE music pictures and so on. Install the new drives and MB and then transfer the data across thanks for the help though guys.

A friend of mine has let me have his 200gig IDE HDD. what i am going to do is back up all my files that i want to keep on that IE music pictures and so on. Install the new drives and MB and then transfer the data across thanks for the help though guys.

MS Documents and Settings Transfer wizard is pretty good at pulling you configuration over.

Back