Motorized to multi LNB problem

Hi again linslademan,

Just a thought... but have you tried using the DiSEqC 1.1 system...?

As you know... this enables the connection of/the ability to switch between (up to) 16 LNB's on the receiver... I know you haven't got 16 LNB's connected... but it might be worth a try setting your LNB'S to...

1 of 16 ~ 2 of 16 ~ 3 of 16 ~ 4 of 16

...alternatively

5 of 16 ~ 6 of 16 ~ 7 of 16 ~ 8 of 16

...etc etc. etc.

It could be just the DiSEqC 1.0 system that's broken/corrupted on your hardware/software...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi Zorch,
I tried disecqc 1.1 but only 1- 16, 2-16,3-16, 4-16.
Not tried 5-16 etc... will give that a go too later

Hi again linslademan,

According to what I see in your photo...

If your dish was left pointing directly at Hotbird when it was motorized... then why is the associated LNB (at the end of the main feed-arm) skewed... when the others are not...?

I have never done a set-up like this before... but I would have thought that the main LNB (at the end of the main feed-arm) would NOT have to be skewed as the dish is already tracking the arc... but the three others at 19.2°E ~ 23.5°E and 28.2°E would have to be slightly skewed... as to mimic the arc of the dish... akin to it being still motorized...?

Could this be the problem...?

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Yeah, you could be right.
If testing again of lnbs show no fault, I will reset motor to 0 degrees and start again. I am thinking that maybe( probably totally wrong) that since dish is at a slight angle then lnbs are not quite right so consequently am getting interference from other close by satellites along that part of the arc.
I jist find it really strange that new Techonmate lnb won't fit in gap between 19 and 28 degrees, that can't be right for a start!

Hi again linslademan,

I just find it really strange that new Techonmate lnb won't fit in gap between 19 and 28 degrees, that can't be right for a start!

If you set up the 28.2°E LNB position to peak on a frequency from 28.5°E ...then you will probably find that you WILL have enough space to fit the new 23.5°E LNB into the gap... and it shouldn't make any difference to your signal levels on 28.2°E

I would also point the dish/main LNB (in the array) to 19.2°E instead of 13.0°E as this is closer to the centre of your mini-arc...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

just my ha'penny worth

im going to do a multi lnb set up on 3 sats,13e,19.2e and 28.2e and ive been told to set it up like this
notice the lnb bracket is higher on left hand side 28.2e compare to 13e

3lnb-example.jpg

maybe you need to do it this way ??

Hi again linslademan,

If you set up the 28.2°E LNB position to peak on a frequency from 28.5°E ...then you will probably find that you WILL have enough space to fit the new 23.5°E LNB into the gap... and it shouldn't make any difference to your signal levels on 28.2°E

I would also point the dish/main LNB (in the array) to 19.2°E instead of 13.0°E as this is closer to the centre of your mini-arc...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Yes, you're right Zorch!
I have been reading quite a bit on the internet on multi lnb set up and centring to 19 east is certainly what I should have done in the first place.

Hi Magnu420,

I'm confused now mate... if the dish/main LNB in your photo/example is centered on/pointing at 19.2°E then shouldn't the LNB at 13.0°E be higher than the LNB at 28.2°E...?

The 13.0°E position is going closer to due South... so the satellite higher in the sky... and 28.2°E is going away from due south... and therefore the satellite is lower in the sky...

Can you explain...? my brain is getting fried now... lol

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Hi Magnu420,

I'm confused now mate... if the dish/main LNB in your photo/example is centered on/pointing at 19.2°E then shouldn't the LNB at 13.0°E be higher than the LNB at 28.2°E...?

The 13.0°E position is going closer to due South... so the satellite higher in the sky... and 28.2°E is going away from due south... and therefore the satellite is lower in the sky...

Can you explain...? my brain is getting fried now... lol

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi Zorch,
When you have more than one lnb fitted on a dish, signal is refracted or "mirrored" so lnb's have to be fitted in reverse order as shown in Magnu40's photo

For a visual demonstration, look at your reflection in a spoon.

Once you have stopped admirimg your handsome good looks, hold your fingertip up in front of it like an imaginary lnb and as you move it around, look in the spoon at where it is. Works for me :)

Hi again linslademan & chopps,

Thanks for the explanation mate...

I have also been reading up on the subject of multi-LNB satellite reception on a fixed dish... and I can now see the logic behind Magnu420's set up... as I said before... I have never ever tried this or even looked into the subject before... 18 years of using a Fibo motorized dish can do that to you...

I really like the look of the Inverto MultiConnect 4 Sat System with the Inverto narrow feed LNB's... it looks so simple to set up and so simple to adjust the LNB's...

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

That would be my personal choice if I were setting up a fixed dish multi-LNB array of my own...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
If you wanna give multi-lnb setups a go you wont go far wrong with a wave frontier T90. Not as complicated as made out to be and channel hopping is a breeze. Just wish they had developed a bigger one. If there was a 1.5m version i would buy it tomorrow!!!

scan satellites again!(it's like naffing groundhog day!- My Mrs also thinks I need to get a life!! linslademen you made me laff my socks off, i newb meself and set up (still ongoing) meself, and mrs tl (bless her) says same thing and more,(cannot broadcast) dont give up my friend, you will get there and then find something else to do, Me mrs tells me all i watch is chan. scan, no actual progs, why oh why dont our fair maidens understand???? crack on mate. tl

Last edited:
Well for those of you that are still interested in this saga or not died of boredom I have good and bad news.
Good news is low signal issue has gone by centring 19 east on lnb arm ( 3rd lnb from the left)- see photo below( thanks Zorch)
P1010933.JPG
Receiver or diseqc switch obviously did not like having 4 lnbs on one side of dish!
Bad news is I am struggling to get a strong signal on Hotbird( 4th lnb from the left of photo)
After I aligned it to 19 east, I tried 28 east next and could not get a very strong signal on that bird. I had to lift arm up of multi holder a bit by adding a couple of nuts as there wasn't much of of rise( see below) and bingo getting 98% on 28 east, very strong on 23 east too.

P1010934.JPG

I am quite happy with 19east but signal on some of the transpoders on hotbird are very low. I am getting 86% on RAI 1 - 10992H, but some of the S-y Italia transponders are very low or not clearing. I can't clear 12341V or 12360H as signal is hovering around 60%
Checking round transponders on 19 and 13 east, signal is lower on the higher symbol rates.
I obviously need to tweak dish elevation and azimuth by the looks of it

I think that I have not taken account of declination angle of motor, so dish elevation must be out, that why some of higher symbol rates transponders are out, back up the ladder tomorrow I think.
I'm starting to get funny looks from the neighbours now, I bet the buggers are pis-ing themselves!

Have you "skewed" the LNB's for maximum signal and quality readings? Slacken the retaining screws and VERY slowly rotate the LNB while having someone watching the bars on the receiver. Dont ask them for the readings just "going up or down" tighten the screws when peaked.

Did all the "skewing" Jimi, but I remember first time I fitted multi holder, I did not reset motor to 0 degrees. Dish was aligned to hotbird - see photo on first post of this thread, and was getting strong signals on all birds apart from diseqc issue.

Poxy well fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:
See screenshot below.
I found by turning on diseqc 1.1 as well as diseqc1.0 it all channels and satellites are clearing instantly with no drop of signal or messing about with the satellite menu as previously had to do.
I can't believe the number of hours I have spent messing about with lnbs, satellite alignment etc... notwithstanding wasted expense of two new diseqc switches and another new lnb on its way.
There must be a glitch in the software or are you supposed to have both diseqc 1.0 and 1.1 turned on at the same time, even though I only 4 lnbs active?
Anyway,sincere thanks to everyone for their contribution in this saga:Clap:

P1010943.JPG

Congratulations mate for sticking at it :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Hi again linslademan,

I'm glad you finally got it sorted mate...

When I edited your cndf file for you I left your DiSEqC settings exactly as you had configured them... and when I loaded your edited cndf file to my TM 5402 HD I saw the 4-Way DiSEqC (1.0) switch was in operation and I thought that it was the correct setting... but upon reflection... perhaps this should have been changed to an alternative setting... but I didn't want to interfere with your setting...

Let me explain... when you open a cndf file in NDFEdit 1.60 you have 4 DiSEqC options/settings available for each satellite position...

DiSEqC Switch Level
OFF
1.0/1.1

In your final/fully edited cndf file I left this setting as DiSEqC (1.0) ...as this was how you had configured it yourself to the 4-Way LNB switch... and as you know I did propose trying the DiSEqC (1.1) system on it's own... but I thought it was overkill having a 16-Way switch employed for just 4 LNB's... but I failed to recognise the significance of the dual DiSEqC (1.0/1.1) setting...

So in conclusion... the problem was probably caused by faulty/buggy software or total inexperience of setting up such a system... either way... it was an agonizingly long lesson to be learned by both of us...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

I think this should be edited and made in to a stickie as the information here should be clearly available to all to prevent any other member having to go through a long trail and error process.

I think this should be edited and made in to a stickie as the information here should be clearly available to all to prevent any other member having to go through a long trail and error process.

Where would you start jimi?

Back