Motorise a DM600PVR

Smokin..o0O

Inactive User
Reaction score
If I was to swap out my 600 cable tuner with a sat tuner, what would i need to control a dish?
I mean, would I need some sort of external positioner?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid but I aint been near a sat setup in more than 10 years.

Hi m8.

You can either go for a fixed dish or a motorised dish. A fixed dish will allow you to view one satellite and a motorised dish will allow you to tune into as many as your dish size and location will allow. For a motorised setup, a motor is connected to the dish and it it is controlled by the receiver. I am using a Technomate 6900 and it is very easy to move the dish.

It isn't a stupid question m8, as you have to ask questions so you can learn. I managed to get my motorised setup done with all the good help from the guys on this forum and i had never been anywhere near a satellite before.

Hope this helps m8.

itll have full USALS support for driving a motorised dish m8. you could get a motor, dish, LNB and brackets for about £100

WOW guys, thanks for all the info.
I am/was prepared to just buy a complete Technomate motorised system. I already had some advice here about this but looking at the available Technomate sat boxes, I went into my "round in circles" routine, which I seem to do every time I research buying a bit of kit which is unknown to me.
I planned to sell my 600 which lives in it's box and is never used. and just buy the whole new setup.
Years ago when I last messed with the sat stuff, I started off with seperate receivers and positioners, and ended up with combined units, but my location at the time made the installs difficult, and the weather beat the shit out of my gear making a big dent in my wallet, and painful dents on the soles of my feet from spending hours up a ladder :Laugh:
If my 600 truly does control a motorised dish without external devices and cabling, then I may just get my self a sat tuner and a motorised dish with all required accesories, then if I get hooked again, I'll look into getting a new receiver if need be.
Thanks again for the friendly info guys:Cheers:

if you have a dreambox 600 m8, the only way you could really upgrade would be to buy a dreambox 800 for HD

for less than another £100 with what you have now (plus the cable tuner, amybe you could swap with someone?), youll have a complete expert setup, get a cheapo HDD off ebay, and what more could you need :)

if you have a dreambox 600 m8, the only way you could really upgrade would be to buy a dreambox 800 for HD

for less than another £100 with what you have now (plus the cable tuner, amybe you could swap with someone?), youll have a complete expert setup, get a cheapo HDD off ebay, and what more could you need :)

Thanks again digi for the info.
Another question...could you recommend a complete motorised dish package from a reputable UK dealer.
I think I could just about sneak a 1 meter dish onto the back of my house without being noticed :Biggrin2:
You see, I'm not being lazy here, I have looked at loads of offers from different places, but once again the
range of stuff on offer differs quite a lot, and knowing absolutely zero about this stuff, I would rather buy on the recommendation of someone who knows.
I have contacted the people who sold me the 600, so I should be sorted for a sat tuner and I already have a HDD fitted so everything should be taken care of.
Then the real fun begins, and I will read till my eyes bleed, or till I get watchable sat channels, whichever comes first :thumbsup:

phone the people here m8, http://signaltech.eurosky.co.uk

tell them i told you to phone from digitalworldz, and you want:

a 1M dish
an LNB
a motor
a dish mount
cable
connectors, fixings and cable clips

theyll do you a good deal being sent from here m8 ;)

ps, any dish less than 1.1M you dont need planning permission for, so no need to sneak one up :)

phone the people here m8, http://signaltech.eurosky.co.uk

tell them i told you to phone from digitalworldz, and you want:

a 1M dish
an LNB
a motor
a dish mount
cable
connectors, fixings and cable clips

theyll do you a good deal being sent from here m8 ;)

ps, any dish less than 1.1M you dont need planning permission for, so no need to sneak one up :)

OK digi, just off the phone now and the stuff is ordered. Should be delivered Monday :Clap:
Loads of stuff buzzing round in my head now because everything has changed since I last messed with sat, but I'm a little happier now thanks to the help from you guys.

Hi m8.

You can either go for a fixed dish or a motorised dish. A fixed dish will allow you to view one satellite and a motorised dish will allow you to tune into as many as your dish size and location will allow. For a motorised setup, a motor is connected to the dish and it it is controlled by the receiver. I am using a Technomate 6900 and it is very easy to move the dish.

It isn't a stupid question m8, as you have to ask questions so you can learn. I managed to get my motorised setup done with all the good help from the guys on this forum and i had never been anywhere near a satellite before.

Hope this helps m8.

I just been reading through this all again and realised I forgot to reply to you earlier.
I meant to ask if your dish takes much punishment from the weather in your neck of the woods?
That's if I'm correct when I say your dish is quite exposed, mounted on the chimney just down the road from the chippy?

I did feel stupid asking questions at first because when I have needed help on any of my wee projects, I just spent hours here searching and reading. That means I didn't ask people on here for help very often. Then when I thought about getting a sat setup running again I thought all the time I had spent on the hobby many years ago would come in handy, but as so much has changed, I guess the only old info I will be able to use is how to set up my dish mount correctly and align the dish. Everything else I'll have to learn as I go along.
I'm probably making things harder to begin with by using my DM600. Although I am quite used to setting that up from scratch for cable, I'm going to be a total noob trying to set it up for satellite.
I got plenty of time to learn and that's what makes it all the more enjoyable.
:Cheers::Cheers::Cheers:

Since you already know how to do dish mounts, align the dish and install an image you are about three quarters of the way there m8. The only other thing you will need to understand is how to change the key/cams for various channels or satellites, this side of the scene is a lot more active than what you normally find on the cable. I wish I had used my DM600 as they are lot more robust than the DM500 I brought from China.

Since you already know how to do dish mounts, align the dish and install an image you are about three quarters of the way there m8. The only other thing you will need to understand is how to change the key/cams for various channels or satellites, this side of the scene is a lot more active than what you normally find on the cable. I wish I had used my DM600 as they are lot more robust than the DM500 I brought from China.

Hi Curious123
If the keys and cams are similar to the cable stuff, then there shouldn't be a problem .
The image flashing is easy, but I've never even thought about images for sat. I'm not thick really, but I was thinking I wouldn't have been able to use the same image for sat as I would for cable as the info required to be entered for scanning would be completely different?
I still have a DM500 here but it's a cable box.
I get bored very easy and keep buying stuff to occupy myself which is more costly in winter :)
I was amased that the dreamboxes could move a motor. I had no idea that modern motors were only connected via a single coaxial cable!!! Man that just can't be right.
A few months ago when we were moving house and I was clearing out my garden shed, I threw out the last of my ancient sat stuff. Old LNB's which had originally added up to hundreds of pounds, all the spares I had kept for my old 1.2m channelmaster dish, and loads of the old multi cabling (feed, power and polarity) that must have weighed more than me :)
Things look so much simplier now it's hard to believe

Hi smokin

hehehe. My dish does take a bit of punishment. The first big storm i put it up it swung round and hit my chimney. I had to go back up and line it all up make sure it was tightened properly. I do still have some problems when the wind picks up. I went for a 110cm dish.

So i take it you stay close to me as you know i stay down from the chippy :proud:

I totally agree that the learning part in all this is the enjoyable part in it.

Good luck with your new setup.

Maybe i will notice a new dish popping up around me in the next week or two :proud:

If you do get stuck then there is always someone who will know how to sort it on here for you m8.

:Cheers::Cheers:

All the dreamboxes images are compatible with satellite or cable in fact they are more suited to satellite rather than cable. Once you install your satellite tuner in the DM600 you will suddenly find that the box changes its behaviour to a satellite box. I used the Pli Iolite image on DM600 for cable but on the Dm500 I used the Gemini 4.3 as that was more robust and also because they updated their online server more regularly than the Pli guys. I have now gone back to the Pli image on my DM500 as much prefer that than the Gemini. The keys and cams are similar to cable but most people just upload a particular file to change the keys rather wasting time editing files.

Hi smokin

hehehe. My dish does take a bit of punishment. The first big storm i put it up it swung round and hit my chimney. I had to go back up and line it all up make sure it was tightened properly. I do still have some problems when the wind picks up. I went for a 110cm dish.

So i take it you stay close to me as you know i stay down from the chippy :proud:

I totally agree that the learning part in all this is the enjoyable part in it.

Good luck with your new setup.

Maybe i will notice a new dish popping up around me in the next week or two :proud:

If you do get stuck then there is always someone who will know how to sort it on here for you m8.

:Cheers::Cheers:

Hi again mate.
We are only minutes away from you.
I was sitting in the car this afternoon while the wife popped into the shop for a paper.
I noticed the dish on the roof and thought, hmm a motorised dish, wonder who lives there.
The wife came back to the car and asked what the hell I was looking at.
The mentioned the surname of the people she had known lived there ages ago and I burst out laughing. About 30 minutes before that, I had read a post of yours in the sat nav forum about your town, so I just realised who owned the dish.
It really is a small world.
I'm over in staffa, been here since just before Christmas. Nice and quiet and the back of the house faces almost due south.

All the dreamboxes images are compatible with satellite or cable in fact they are more suited to satellite rather than cable. Once you install your satellite tuner in the DM600 you will suddenly find that the box changes its behaviour to a satellite box. I used the Pli Iolite image on DM600 for cable but on the Dm500 I used the Gemini 4.3 as that was more robust and also because they updated their online server more regularly than the Pli guys. I have now gone back to the Pli image on my DM500 as much prefer that than the Gemini. The keys and cams are similar to cable but most people just upload a particular file to change the keys rather wasting time editing files.

That all sounds like good news to me :)
Can't wait now to get playing with this stuff.:Cheers:

Hi again mate.
We are only minutes away from you.
I was sitting in the car this afternoon while the wife popped into the shop for a paper.
I noticed the dish on the roof and thought, hmm a motorised dish, wonder who lives there.
The wife came back to the car and asked what the hell I was looking at.
The mentioned the surname of the people she had known lived there ages ago and I burst out laughing. About 30 minutes before that, I had read a post of yours in the sat nav forum about your town, so I just realised who owned the dish.
It really is a small world.
I'm over in staffa, been here since just before Christmas. Nice and quiet and the back of the house faces almost due south.

HEHE it sure is a small world m8.

I have found myself doing the same as you and looking to see what type of dishes people have.

The girlfriend thinks i am weird but she just doesnt understand :proud:

Thats good you have a clear view of south. Makes it allot easier.
I hope you wont get as much wind on your dish as i do ever here.
:Cheers:

I have found myself doing the same as you and looking to see what type of dishes people have.

The girlfriend thinks i am weird but she just doesnt understand :proud:

its when youre on holiday and doing it they think your weirder lol

was in benalmadena once, about 5 in the afternoon an the top floor balcony just looking about, and the mrs says im a perv for looking about at the totty passing, when i said 'no, im looking at all the different dishes' the answer was sommat along the lines of 'fookin weirdo'

lmao

its when youre on holiday and doing it they think your weirder lol

was in benalmadena once, about 5 in the afternoon an the top floor balcony just looking about, and the mrs says im a perv for looking about at the totty passing, when i said 'no, im looking at all the different dishes' the answer was sommat along the lines of 'fookin weirdo'

lmao

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I will have to remember that one next time digidude :Cheers:

Back