Media centre

mike361

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
As the title says i`m interested in one of these media centres but were do i start i would prefer to build it myself just for satifaction really i`m not to bothered about blu ray player,could anyone give me details of parts i would need please i would like it to look decent as it will be sitting in the tv unit?

mike

iv also been toying with the idea of building 1, only thing putting me off really is the fact i havnt got a clue about the parts and things, wheather they'd be compatible or what not, but iv always wanted to build my own, so be good to see what suggestions people make for you!

Yeah snap i think it would be streight forward similar to building a pc which i`v done in the past ,it would also be good to know what software to instal aswell oh and the media would just be tranfered over my home network i`m not really wanting to watch freeview or anything like thaton it.

be good to let them know your budget aswell mate, as thats a big factor in what kind of machine you can build, looking forward to the responses though!

oh yeah looking at a few hundred dont really have a limit but i wont want ot pay a fortune!!

I've been recently re-arranging my set up, it's been a mission of mine over the past 6 weeks while i reasoned on everything!

i had a small form factor PC, 2 * 1TB HD's but i wanted to try something different. So, moved all the storage into my server with all the films/tv shows, got a gigabit router. i wanted a 'low power' media player and something small and neat looking on the shelf - i knew i'd lose the DVD player but hey - compromise. First, i looked at an Apple TV 2 hacked with XBMC (but doesn't full support 1080p) then an x-treamer and a WD TV Live. Both good BUT didn't give me the functionality i wanted. I need a PC. So, i had a test of a EEE PC box with XBMC Live on it but it stuttered the playback. AND at this point i decided i hated XBMC. So, back to Windows 7 Media Centre with Media Browser. Maybe i should have gone for a Revo 3700 or something with 4GB RAM in, i was also looking at Foxconn barebone Net Top Dual core - but i might still one day...

So now, i've come full circle, back to a Small form factor AMD64 Dual Core PC in a cupboard, 4GB RAM, onboard DVI and it plays everything no bother. I much prefer a windows machine with MCE + MB on, boots quick, plays owt. I may have a spare Small form factor PC that i'm not using to flog

Yeah snap i think it would be streight forward similar to building a pc which i`v done in the past ,it would also be good to know what software to instal aswell oh and the media would just be tranfered over my home network i`m not really wanting to watch freeview or anything like thaton it.
The Revo R3700 that ManofScience mentions is ideal for what you've said your intended use will be.

However if I was going down the self build route, and had your requirements, I'd go for an LGA1155 mATX or ITX board with an i5 2500/2500K CPU, 4GB RAM, an SSD in the 60-128GB capcity range, 250-300W branded PSU and a case (making sure the motherboard and PSU will fit). That lot should see you booting in under a minute and able to play 1080p files. To me a "few hundred" is around the £300 mark, but you could end up spending at least half of this amount just on a HTPC case.

If you get back to us with a case you like I can probably give you a better list of parts.

i`v looked at cases this one seem to look that part but i`m kinda open for options hxxp://www.ebuyer.com/156186-compucase-mini-itx-case-with-120w-psu-and-front-panel-usb2-0-8k01

cost max 500 but lower would be better obvious £300 would be great

mike

pob mate, if ya wudnt mind having a look for me and seeing what you can come up with, this is what im after, a nice looking htpc case (black) with decent remote, 64gb ssd for OS, 1tb at least HDD for storage of mainly movies, room for another when needed, 4 usb ports, atleast 3, sufficent ram to play 1080p, 4gb or more im guessing, and best motherboard and processor you can get, preferably i5, sata 3 compatibility throughout if possible, with a budget of max £350, am i asking too much, lol!

my plan is building 1 of these and use the built in windows media centre of windows 7 to play my movies!

my xtreamer pro will be funding half this build if you can come up with something like i want in my price range!

Hol, that's what I do. Win 7 media centre then media browser as the Media aggregator, much nicer and easier than xbmc.

Hol, that's what I do. Win 7 media centre then media browser as the Media aggregator, much nicer and easier than xbmc.
thats my plan mate, tried everything else so might aswell give this a go too, lol, hated xbmc, but i didnt really give it a good enough chance either, just hated it from start to finish, had my revo that was canny, but still not what i wanted, although at that point i had never tried wmc, so it could have been possibly, had a WD media player that played all files well, but interface was hideous, got my xtreamer pro now that is excellent with the cover art, looks fantastic on my hd optoma projector, but it doesnt do much else to my fancy, although it plays back all files flawlessly, great box, i just always want more, lol, when will it end ;)

I prefer the windows os underneath, map network drives, etc. I also use metabrowser to retrieve meta data and cover art. Stark covers too to make them look fancy... I spend ages fiddling with it...

If u want, I'll put together a build guide for the software, rebuilt mine loads recently!

I prefer the windows os underneath, map network drives, etc. I also use metabrowser to retrieve meta data and cover art. Stark covers too to make them look fancy... I spend ages fiddling with it...

If u want, I'll put together a build guide for the software, rebuilt mine loads recently!
that would be fantastic mate as im not really upto speed with the wmc plugins or which are best to use as such, tried a couple and had abit play about but thats about it, but would be great if you could help out on that side of things, so any guidance is good guidance til i get round to building something, i can still mess about with the wmc on my laptop so i can used to it and tryout different things!

Difficult spec that BH.
I get as far as the mobo, i5 2500, 4GB DDR3 1333 1TB HDD and 64GB Crucial M4 SSD before I run out of budget (i.e. not enough left for case, PSU and remote).
Even going for a barebones Shuttle system you'll have spent £300 of the budget just on the CPU, case, mobo and PSU.

If you post what you envisage using the system for I'll see what I can trim back on...

Difficult spec that BH.
I get as far as the mobo, i5 2500, 4GB DDR3 1333 1TB HDD and 64GB Crucial M4 SSD before I run out of budget (i.e. not enough left for case, PSU and remote).
Even going for a barebones Shuttle system you'll have spent £300 of the budget just on the CPU, case, mobo and PSU.

If you post what you envisage using the system for I'll see what I can trim back on...
thought it would have been mate to be honest, well we could drop the sata 3 compatability as i will be using the htpc to download my films so be no transferring really from other devices,to be honest mate i just want it for watching films, and general browsing, but it needs to be fast at these things as i hate a sluggish interface, i could live with just 1 hard drive bay too, as 1tb is plenty for the brrips i download, my projector is only 720p so thats all i could play anyway, was just thinking 1080 for future proof, also you could knock the 1tb drive off price as iv got 1 that could go in, that any better to work with, lol, thanks for looking though as id be snookered as i aint gotta clue whats compatible with what!

You don't need that good of a system to run a half decent media centre, in the bedroom I use a system that is an old pentium duel core 2gb ram 8400gs card and that handles 1080p happily enough over hdmi :) (running xbmc) all controlled via the iPhone app :)

It was a small old dell machine that now sits behind the tv :) as for the living room I just use my main pc and a 5 metre hdmi cable :)

When I've got the money though I'll build a proper media centre in a nice htpc case :)

thanks for tht little pob just one thing i was thinking maybe a remote would be handy i think and a bigger hdd also?,what sort of system would you go for if it was you?

Manofscience, i wouldn`t mind that guide aswell if you dont mind mate?

mike

Back