Manchester United thread

Fantastic news

CRISTIANO RONALDO marked his sensational double strike at Arsenal by telling Manchester United fans: “I am staying at Old Trafford.”

The Portugal superstar, 24, led United to the Champions League final with two breathtaking goals at the Emirates.

And, despite rumours persistently linking him with a move to Real Madrid, Ronaldo insisted he will stay on at United.

He said: “I’ve responded to this question many times. I am very happy at Manchester and I want to stay here. I am very focused on winning the Champions League.”

Ronaldo has finally started showing the form that made him the World Player of the Year — and if he leads United to victory in the final in Rome he will be favourite to retain his title.

After a 3-1 win at Arsenal to seal a 4-1 aggregate victory, he added: “We played very well against a team that plays good football.

“It’s very difficult to score here and I’m very happy because I scored two goals and the team are in the final.”

Boss Alex Ferguson deployed Ronaldo as a striker instead of his normal position on the wing.

Fergie was rewarded with one of Ronaldo’s top performances this season.

He fired United’s second goal with a 41-yard free-kick, then added a sizzling finish after a lightning-quick counter attack.

Finally i think Ronaldo is seeing sense and has made the right decision which is great boost for us. Last summer was terrible for us we were unsure what would happen hope this will put an end to the story (that i doubt as Madrid are cnuts)!

"Its 35 yards or more... too far for Ronaldo to think about it"... (moments later)... "ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH ABSOLUTELY SENSATIONAL!!!! IT WENT THROUGH ALMUNIA!!!" (Clive Tyldesley, ITV Commentator, 5th May 2009, approxitamely 7.53pm)

best quote this year!!!

Manchester United could appeal against Darren Fletcher's suspension from the Champions League final, according to Uefa general secretary David Taylor.
Fletcher was harshly sent off in the semi-final, but Taylor told United manager Sir Alex Ferguson they could challenge the decision.
"The likelihood is we'd refer it to our disciplinary body.
"They'd see if there were circumstances to justify a departure from procedure," Taylor told BBC World Service.
Fletcher, who was an unused substitute in last season's Champions League final win over Chelsea, was dismissed towards the end of the semi-final second-leg victory over Arsenal for a challenge on Cesc Fabregas that resulted in a penalty.
However, replays made it clear that the United player had in fact made contact with the ball.
Ferguson said the decision was "a tragedy", while Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admitted the call was "very harsh", but initially Uefa said there was no right of appeal unless the referee made an error in identifying the player.
Taylor has offered United a sliver of hope that Fletcher, 25, could turn out against Barcelona on 27 May, although he admitted the likelihood was that the decision would stand.
"I must stress there is normally no way these matters can be overturned," he warned.

Hope for the lad yet : multi :

Well if they get the same ref as tonight you should be ok.lol

If you mean the ref for the chelsea game then id be fairly sure he's just played his last game !! Shocking, but that's football.

"Its 35 yards or more... too far for Ronaldo to think about it"... (moments later)... "ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH ABSOLUTELY SENSATIONAL!!!! IT WENT THROUGH ALMUNIA!!!" (Clive Tyldesley, ITV Commentator, 5th May 2009, approxitamely 7.53pm)

best quote this year!!!

I was pi$$ing myself for ages after that comment lol still makes me smile now ;)

I was pi$$ing myself for ages after that comment lol still makes me smile now ;)

lmao

they didnt think he could do it, but surely by now they would have realised that ronaldo can do anything!

LOL yea it still makes me laugh :D

good thing for Fletch.. maybe he'll get his Final appearance.. but i think if they overturn Fletcher's Red card.. they'll have to overturn Abidal's aswell..

neither deserved their card..

LOL yea it still makes me laugh :D

good thing for Fletch.. maybe he'll get his Final appearance.. but i think if they overturn Fletcher's Red card.. they'll have to overturn Abidal's aswell..

neither deserved their card..

both should be overturned imo..

Now we got barca in the final,with them having 2 players banned,wouldent suprise me if all players get the nod to play,if we were facing chelsea,fletch would still be banned.

I wonder why UEFA made that statement only today that Flethcer might be able to play in the final? I wonder if it's because Barcelona's Abidal will miss final and they cant accept barca defense losin so many players =P

More than likely m8 , they are a law unto themselves.
I wonder why UEFA made that statement only today that Flethcer might be able to play in the final? I wonder if it's because Barcelona's Abidal will miss final and they cant accept barca defense losin so many players =P

Ferguson rules out spending spree
Sir Alex Ferguson
Ferguson's Man Utd are closing in on a league and European Cup double

Sir Alex Ferguson says he expects little transfer activity at Manchester United this summer, insisting there are no players he is keen to sign.

"We won't be going for a lot of players," said the 67-year-old Scot, whose side are closing in on a Premier League and Champions League double.

"We have a big squad and I can honestly say there's no one we've identified we want to bring here at the moment.

"We are not looking to add a lot of players to our squad."

Recent reports have linked United with a £62.5m move for Bayern Munich's France international forward Franck Ribery, 26, while the futures of Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo at Old Trafford remain the subject of constant media speculation.

A lot of clubs, knowing that Man City have that money there, will be adding noughts onto the value of every player they go for

Sir Alex Ferguson

But Ferguson predicts managerial counterpart Mark Hughes, whose Manchester City side play United on Sunday, will have a busier time in the close season.

"It is going to be a busy summer for them," said Ferguson. "But it is all about availability. Some clubs don't want to sell their players to anyone, which is admirable.

"It is a difficulty. You could have a check list of players but it is reduced by 50% because clubs don't want to sell.

"Then a lot of clubs, knowing that City have that money there, will be adding noughts onto the value of every player they go for.

606: DEBATE
Who should Man Utd sign this summer?

"Mark has to try and evaluate the players he wants at his values rather than their values. That is the difficult thing."

Since taking over City, the Abu Dhabi United Group have flexed their muscle in the transfer market, most notably by setting a British record in signing Robinho for £32.5m at the start of this season.

But they failed in a very public attempt to sign Brazilian striker Kaka from AC Milan and continue to be linked with a number of other high-profile players, like Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o and Real Madrid's Raul.

New players are unlikely to be a top priority for Hughes ahead of Sunday's game at Old Trafford.

The City boss is keen to halt United's march to another Premier League crown and thinks it is a good time to be facing his old club.

We're in decent shape and if ever there was a time for us to go to Old Trafford, it's now

Mark Hughes

"We're on a nice little run, four games unbeaten, and, as I have said all week, you have to go to Old Trafford with a lot of belief and confidence," he said.

"That's what we have, we're playing well and winning games. We're looking forward to Sunday, we're in decent shape and if ever there was a time for us to go to Old Trafford, it's now."

Sunday's derby with City will be United's 63rd game of the season but Ferguson says his players are looking fresher than ever.

"The players are smelling the big games now," said the United chief. "They like that big-game situation. They have proved they can handle it and they are hitting top form at the right time."
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldo is hitting top form at just the right time, according to Ferguson

United are three points ahead of second-placed Liverpool in the race for the Premier League title and have a game in hand on their Merseyside rivals.

"It is ours to win in the sense of the points we are ahead of our opponents," said Ferguson. "With the form we are in, we have a good chance."

He is particularly pleased with Ronaldo, who is back to his attacking best.

"Cristiano is coming good just at the right time," said Ferguson. "He took a while to get into his rhythm after his operation.

"But he is a fantastic athlete, with great physique who never misses a game. We are lucky to have that combination, and courage as well.

"Obviously he won't get to 42 goals like he did last season but he is up to 25 now, which is still a fantastic tally for someone who is regarded as a wide player."

I ain't surprised we ain't going to be too involved in the transfer market as we don't need to add many to our first team squad. Maybe get a couple of young players in and we also have you Adam Llajic the Serbian teenager coming to us this summer!

One hand firmly on the trophy now come on United!

yep, almost there now... Wigan could well be a tricky game but 3 points against them would mean a point on saturday v arsenal would seal the title....

If only Berbatov performed like that in every game, was the type of performance he put in nearly every week last season for Spurs. Hopefully next season he will do the same

If only Berbatov performed like that in every game, was the type of performance he put in nearly every week last season for Spurs. Hopefully next season he will do the same

thats a good thing to hear he played well..
i missed the match due to being at work :( lol

looking forward 2 MOTD!!!

almost there now!!!!

Back