Mains Stopcock Broken

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Capture.JPGMains Stopcock Broken so can' turn off water without using mole grips

Would like to change the stopcock but the feed into house is iron hence the feeding iron pipe has a thread on it which goes to stopcock then that goes to a 15mm copper pipe

had a look on the web at screwfix and toolstation but can't find a similar stopcock or anything else to go from the iron pipe to 15mm

cheers

Or these fittings as trying to undo the old fitting might knacker the thread up.Better to cut it right under the old stop cock and use one of these:
Universal Transition Couplings | Philmac
Then plumb for a new stop cock

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

2nd problem......

can't find the water companies outside stopcock, nothing outside my house front or back so wondering if it's shared somewhere around the corner.

should I contact water company and get them to tell me where I can locate it or can you freeze the iron pipe, know you can do it for copper.

Or these fittings as trying to undo the old fitting might knacker the thread up.Better to cut it right under the old stop cock and use one of these:
Universal Transition Couplings | Philmac
Then plumb for a new stop cock

Just be careful if you do as above,if you cut off below the stopcock then you are losing the threads and there's no guarantee you will get a fitting to match,although the one mentioned says it will do,I have never used them,

Better still if you have the room just plumb a new stopcock above the old one,that way you can use the old one to shut off the water while you plumb the new one,then turn it back on and leave it,just use the new one in the future :)

Last edited:
If you can turn that tap off with mole grips thats a good start, i wouldnt attempt to repair or change that stop tap incase it causes more problems as it looks knackered already.

as wiz said install a brand new 15mm stop tap above the old one on the copper pipe

This will save you having to touch the old tap again

15mm Stop Cock | Screwfix.com

Just be careful if you do as above,if you cut off below the stopcock then you are losing the threads and there's no guarantee you will get a fitting to match,although the one mentioned says it will do,I have never used them,

Better still if you have the room just plumb a new stopcock above the old one,that way you can use the old one to shut off the water while you plumb the new one,then turn it back on and leave it,just use the new one in the future :)

Just watched the videos and I would never get a straight cut on the iron pipe so that blows that one out.

adding a new stopcock above the old one is the logical move but theres about 10 - 15cm of copper then it goes back into iron again then up into the loft

Just above the old stopock there is a soldered T piece where it bears off into kitchen sink (15mm copper) and the other bit goes straight up for 5cm then back into iron so in a nutshell there is just not enough copper the fix an additional stopcock

any chance of a bigger picture which shows more pipework?

Ok without a bigger picture I'm not sure what space you have but something like this might do,

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 9
Ok New T Piece position and new stopcock Position in Red

Then flexible pipe from new t piece to existing feed to kitchen
and flexible pipe from bottom of new stopcock to top of old one

Sorry for the crap drawing but hope you get the idea :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 4
Ok without a bigger picture I'm not sure what space you have but something like this might do,
exactly what i was thinking lol

Thats easier said than done dutcho as its steel pipe below the tap

thanks for the ideas,

still need to find the outside stopcock or can you freeze the iron pipe

guessing if I could freeze wouldn't give me enough time though

EDIT: I can with mole grips turn off old stopcock but to be honest it does not completely turn off, still have a bit of water coming through

also I've noticed a very small drip coming from the old stopcock.....near the bit which I grab hold off with the mole grips

Last edited:
Get a plumber in m8 then if it goes tits up its his problem to solve :)

Get a plumber in m8 then if it goes tits up its his problem to solve :)

That's the ideal solution but I charge call out by the mile lol

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

thanks for the ideas,

still need to find the outside stopcock or can you freeze the iron pipe

guessing if I could freeze wouldn't give me enough time though

EDIT: I can with mole grips turn off old stopcock but to be honest it does not completely turn off, still have a bit of water coming through

also I've noticed a very small drip coming from the old stopcock.....near the bit which I grab hold off with the mole grips

If the old one is leaking then best replace altogether m8

Ring local council/water board and ask location of external stopcock before doing anything

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

you sure you cannot find your mains stop cock normally located on the footpath outside of a house if its not outside your house it coud be outside of your neighbours as you may share the supply. If you share the supply make sure you tell them that you are going to turn the water supply off. Open your internal stopcock and flush downstairs toilets and open all taps to drain off any excess water first. Then replace the old stop cock as leaving it alone is only going to cause you long term damp problems.

Last edited:
Back