Looking to get a DS lite is there anything I need to know?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, im looking to get a DS Lite and need to know is there anything special you need to look out for like mfr date, versions etc? Or is it just a matter of buying one and getting one of those R4 thingys?

Wheres the best place to get a black ds lite from and where do you get what ever it is I need to play all the games?

TIA

The new DSI has been hacked as far as I know but the cart may be dearer, if you are just after a ds lite then wont matter about version.

There are a lot of different carts about, the R4 and the Dstt being the most popular, there are also some clone fakes about which give problems. I know dealextreme where at one stage sending fakes but they always replaced them.

All R4 cards now are clones so you will need the unofficial firmware but dont worry about that, they work just great and can use bigger than 2gb memory cards while an original is capped at 2gb. Dstt will also take bigger cards.

I am not sure the best place to get one now but someone will. I got one in UK from mymemory with 4gb card for £19.99 delivered, but they are cheaper than that, I needed it in a hurry but £20 all in isnt too bad anyway.

As for the games, they are available all over the net and games are so small it takes no time at all to dL them.

There are also members on the forum who sell the carts for the DS.

Whats the DSI? New version of the DS lite?

If you get one mate pm your home addy and i'll send you a couple of DvD's with "trial" :Biggrin2: games......If you like them go and buy the originals :Jester:
Forgot to mention - My daughter is using a Dstt card with 2Gb Micro Sd bought from Deal Extreme - Although this was before all the fakes became available.

Last edited:
Its for my sis anyway so the DS Lite will be fine and @ marty thanks for the offer might just have to take you up on that... Looks like I will be getting just the console from Argos for £97.something as everywhere else seems to be out of stock.

Once I get the console I will look into getting the right type of cart (cartridge?) for it.

Thanks for the help guys

Thanks for that Curly going to have to do some more reading, as it appears the prefered choice is the R4 (all fake?) or N5 but the DSTT takes 4GB so thats more tempting... Just need to find a trusted seller and the prices of course.

Thanks for that Curly going to have to do some more reading, as it appears the prefered choice is the R4 (all fake?) or N5 but the DSTT takes 4GB so thats more tempting... Just need to find a trusted seller and the prices of course.

Mymemory is a good site site and the R4 (clone) is £15.99 delivered (1-3 days)

You dont get the software with it but its in the download section anyway.

R4 SDHC Nintendo DS/Lite Adapter £15.99 - Free Delivery

Theres probably cheaper about but this is a UK site and pretty fast delivery. You would just need to get a micro sd memory card and reader for it.

Great Stuff, so it looks like thats what I will be getting then. Thanks for all the help again.

Its not SD m8, its micro SD.

As for is it the best cart...imho Yes but DSTT does the job too.

Yes that will be fine. Class 2 is only the speed it transfers, you can get faster but they are also dearer.

Ordered the items including a 4gb micro sd so should have them by the 5th i rekon then I will just need to get hold of the correct files and download some games!!

Got my SanDisk 4GB ULTRA Micro SD today but no R4 SDHC Nintendo DS/Lite Adapter apparently they were sent separately... So might come 2mw, can someone point in the direction of tutorial files I need so I can get everything ready.

Got my SanDisk 4GB ULTRA Micro SD today but no R4 SDHC Nintendo DS/Lite Adapter apparently they were sent separately... So might come 2mw, can someone point in the direction of tutorial files I need so I can get everything ready.

Not much reading to be done Bally, Curly's sticky in here's probably the best (don't tell him I said that though.....) then download, un-rar & transfer the latest firmware from the r4sdhc website & you're in business. Copy some evaluation games in *.nds format to the root of the card & voila you can test said games before you buy them.
Good luck,
HH.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/154863/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back