Looking for box info

Jammy75

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking into Sat boxes after getting fed up with what freeview is offering and it looks a bit of a mine field. I'm after High def, avi/mkv play back and would like PVR, but, its not essential, for a first box I'd like it to be simple to use, used to have a DVB-c in my pc and was constantly fiddling with it to get channels back. I'll be joining a friends group to start with, but, may start my own later. I read that spiderboxs are easy to use and need little fiddling, I've been offered a startrack, but, can't find any info on it and I always thought that dreamboxes were the daddy of boxes when it comes to the sat scene. Have a max spend of £200 and my dish is a standard mini. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jammy

I'm just running up 2 TM5402/Blade7000s for my parents and so far seem like a real good box, easy to use, and pic quality is as good as my DM800HD, and they can be had for £140.

Depends on what you want to do and what your current PC, basic networking knowledge is like. If you want to go the Dreambox or open source linux route, yes they are the "daddY" of sat recievers with much more flexibility,vhoice of softwre images,plugins ,customisability etc. But there is a learning curve so be prepared to put the reading in.

With your budget theres loads of recievers you can get. If you were to use the full 200 on a reciever. The best reciever in that price range for hardware and software support is the DM800SE clone at 150 ish GBP. Next best for hardware spec and support the DM800HD PRO clone down to around 120 ish or less. For twin tuner support theres the Duolabs Qbox mini HD. Then you get to the closed source linux recievers like TM5402, newer eaglebox recievers, Opernbox s9/s10 which is probably the lowest price budget HD reciever with PVR at 60 quid delivered but poor software for the price though you cant complain cheaper than most SD boxes.

Take your pic depending on your needs. Be aware that anything closed source is a bit more user friendly but your locked into the standard software theres very little in the way of customisability. I would personally say put the effort in in reading and got the Open source linux Dreambox route, the rewards are worth it. Closed source is for lazy people.

Thanks for the info fella's, I liked the look of the Qbox mini HD, but, have read that the quality of the tuners aren't up to much. I can honestly say I've never used linux, but, I'm not a complete idiot with tech, so may start cheap and easy with an openbox s10 and if I get on fine with that move on to a dreambox and shift the cheap box into a bedroom.

Thanks for the info fella's, I liked the look of the Qbox mini HD, but, have read that the quality of the tuners aren't up to much. I can honestly say I've never used linux, but, I'm not a complete idiot with tech, so may start cheap and easy with an openbox s10 and if I get on fine with that move on to a dreambox and shift the cheap box into a bedroom.

Openbox is closed source linux so theres not much learning involved there is only 1 image from the manufacturers, and no options for plugins, customisation etc. So should be easy enough, probably no more complicated that a standard non-linux reciever.
It is what it is, a no frills budget HD box should be fine for TW watching via CS. Cant argue with 60 quid delivered for a HD reciever with PVR capibility.

Do you know if I could use a usb stick wifi adapter in it or does it have to be a wireless bridge if I go down the wifi route?

I'm in the same boat, Jammy. I'm considering the Openbox too (not sure whether to go for s9 or s10). Having said that, I've just been reading that the x403p hd is a better option. A friend of mine has the BM7000 and is pretty happy with it but at £140 it seems pointless when the s9 is less than half the price and offers the same sort of functionality (I think!).

If you want flexability, countless features and plugins, great choice of images, fantastic support, internal HDD support, wifi usb stick works, excellent video quality, great media player etc etc then pay a few bob more and go for the DM800 se clone, you wont regret it.

From what I've read the DM800 will be too complicated for me to set up. I want something as simple as possible! In addition, I don't care about having countless features. I'm only interested in using the box to watch Sly channels. The only function I'd like is time-shift functionality, so I can pause and/or rewind a programme if need be.

I havent used the openbox so cant comment, I have used the TM 5402 and its a nice piece of kit with good media player facilities and super video quality, Good look with your choice and happy viewing.

Do you know if I could use a usb stick wifi adapter in it or does it have to be a wireless bridge if I go down the wifi route?

Not 100% sure, but i'd say probably no driver support for wireless USB dongles so you will have to use a Wifi bridge along the lines of a Vonet one or similar.

I havent used the openbox so cant comment, I have used the TM 5402 and its a nice piece of kit with good media player facilities and super video quality, Good look with your choice and happy viewing.
I'll check the TM5402 out. Thanks!

Back