lonrisun clone vs Sunray clone vs the rest.

I have a Lonrisun with V2 firmware and I am using the VTI 7.0.0 image from the vu-hd site. From what I gather, VTI isn't as full featured as OpenVIX , but it does the basics well.

I had every intention of updating to V4 and trying a newer Openvix image, but the more I get used to VTI, the less I am inclined to mess around with the box.

If it ain't broke and all that. :)

It probably not an image issue as such. If you have a v4 flash update then you can get more upto date images from here. When doing a flash update, do not restore from any previous settings as sometimes this can be an issue.

I had the exact same problem with images from vu-hd site. Try the v2 versions of the images here in the download section. I have never had a problem with them. If they don't work try the original safe fix images. Think the last safe one is 802 build

Here this new sunray vu solo2 v3 i was talking about ketmp .
Hav,nt been able to contact this supplier yet .

View attachment 87009

View attachment 87010
Just received today my Sunray solo2 v3 as it's titled.

I can confirm the nand flash is on a separate board which just plugs into motherboard. The nand flash would still be a pain to actually solder just that they've made it easier by having it on a separate/removable board.

If, however, they are selling nand flash along with the board its on then that would make it straight forward and easier but it seems impossible to actually get nand flash already mounted on the separate board. Instead replacement nand flash chips appear to be just the nand flash ic chip.

Also, I would class it as sunray solo2 v2 (revision 2) because when I looked at security chip and mini usb board, they both clearly state sunray v2 same as the sunray solo2 v2. I suspect it's the chinese that have referred to it as v3 because nand flash is on separate board.

Just received today my Sunray solo2 v3 as it's titled.

I can confirm the nand flash is on a separate board which just plugs into motherboard. The nand flash would still be a pain to actually solder just that they've made it easier by having it on a separate/removable board.

If, however, they are selling nand flash along with the board its on then that would make it straight forward and easier but it seems impossible to actually get nand flash already mounted on the separate board. Instead replacement nand flash chips appear to be just the nand flash ic chip.

Also, I would class it as sunray solo2 v2 (revision 2) because when I looked at security chip and mini usb board, they both clearly state sunray v2 same as the sunray solo2 v2. I suspect it's the chinese that have referred to it as v3 because nand flash is on separate board.

funny coincidence i just received my sunray box today not sure if its the v3 as u call it. just put the hdd in a few minutes ago so i will check tomorrow.

may i asked how much you paid for it. i paid $180 for mine but had to pay another €36 on top due to customs. cant say im happy about that as it is the only box i got caught with the customs fee.:Mad2:

funny coincidence i just received my sunray box today not sure if its the v3 as u call it. just put the hdd in a few minutes ago so i will check tomorrow.
The only difference with v3 (as chinese call it) is that nand flash is on a small board connected to main motherboard.

may i asked how much you paid for it. i paid $180 for mine but had to pay another €36 on top due to customs. cant say im happy about that as it is the only box i got caught with the customs fee.:Mad2:
Yes, $180 but no customs fee. I think because customs can randomly inspect anything that you may have been unlucky on this occasion. Only once have I had to pay customs fee.

Sunray boxes do seem to cost a little bit more than other clones but as there is now support with latest patched images/drivers then I guess the extra cost is paying for the support element.

from using this sunray box i can definitely see a improvement over the lonrisun box.

its definitely worth the extra few bucks.

the remote seems to be better but its still not as good as my duo remote i use for my solo2.

can i get another remote(like a universal remote) that will work with the solo2 as the one that comes with it isnt great?

also i put an image i got from the downloads section on the box its great but the picon were saved on it.
i always thought saving the picons to the flash would fry ur flash in no time and that u should save them to a usb stick/hdd. is that still the case or was i miss informed?

thanks

can i get another remote(like a universal remote) that will work with the solo2 as the one that comes with it isnt great?
I use an original remote on mine simply because it can control TV as well whereas the clone remotes don't (well didn't when I originally bought my sunray).

also i put an image i got from the downloads section on the box its great but the picon were saved on it.
i always thought saving the picons to the flash would fry ur flash in no time and that u should save them to a usb stick/hdd. is that still the case or was i miss informed?
No, I think you're getting confused with EPG data. EPG data isn't recommended because it can grow over time.

picons are okay as they don't grow. If you don't want them then just delete picon folder from root.

where did you get the original remote and how much did it cost you.

sorry ur correct it was epg but i was told it best to put on usb as it would be getting accessed a lot and would fry the flash. i just assumed it would be the same with picons. sorry my mistake.

would it be ok to have the epg on hdd?

I have used Logitech Harmony 300 and 650 remotes with my clone solo2 box and they work an absolute treat. Very fast response times and you don't need to have the remote pointed directly at the box for it to work. I can even point the remote at the ceiling and the box will still respond. The Logitech PC program has Vu+ listed as a manufacturer so setup is really simple and of course you still have the option to program using the solo remote pointed at the Harmony remote to teach it new commands.

The only downside I have found is that long press remote commands on the solo 2 remote cannot be replicated by the Harmony remotes. I do miss that as a long press of the EPG button is required to bring up the EPG options. If there is a way to program a long press on the Harmony or access the EPG options without a long press then I haven't figured them out yet.

where did you get the original remote and how much did it cost you.
Search ebay for item 321329856473.

It looks same as remote that came with sunray except because it's original it is a universal remote as well.

would it be ok to have the epg on hdd?
Yes, of course.

@ketmp @allenkellyeire whats the craic lads any feedback on the new box pic,s heat software etc remote .

And is the hardware any better fan / software and did seller say anything about jtag software in the future if needs be as members feedback with said boxes would be helpful .

As i would trust members on here feedback before any sellers any day .!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said in an earlier post, the new sunray solo2 v3 is just, in my opinion, a v2 revised with new detachable flash chip on a little board.

I was met with usual silence when I asked about easy recovery and was instead pointed towards replacing nand flash chip.

The security chip still states v2 on it and couldn't see any difference between v3 or v2 except for detachable board with nand flash on it.

Although I've seen some solo2 clones state they accept original images, I've yet to see someone posting that their box can accept original untouched latest images.

Thanks ketmp as me mate is not back to Ireland till 21st of this month as he went home on holiday this why i was trying to get him to contact sellers before the new year .

And i,ve given up on emailing these sellers as they will tell you anythimg to get a sale .

And i,ve given up on emailing these sellers as they will tell you anythimg to get a sale .
So true and either that or you get no response if it's bad news and they don't want to tell you.

ketmp just a heads up be extra carefully with images over the next few weeks as major changes to the OE-core is going to happen.

The OE-core is been updated to 3.0 from November to march with open atv 5.0 there,s no more updates for openatv 4.3 beta this has stopped.

And the rest i,ve sent you a pm just in case you did,nt sse thread on the openatv forum as always its better to be on your guard as you don,t know if vu will add any surprises in the future .

Thanks.

The last time there was an OE core update (Vix 25 onwards), Sunray's stopped taking original images which they were still able to do even after the clone bomb and before the OE core update.

OpenATV 4.3 beta was using a newer OE core but it ceased for VU and DMM due to them both not updating the gstreamer.

If this new core has got VU and DMM on their sides then that will likely create problems of somekind.

I've already ordered some spare nand flash chips from chinese anyhow so that will arrive before this happens.

I suspect openvix will change names to another greek god instead of keeping apollo name as they normally do with major changes in OE core.

@jay0ind, what do you want to purchase ? Nand flash chip or a Box ?

@jay0ind, what do you want to purchase ? Nand flash chip or a Box ?

Sorry friend...i want to purchase this box...but some little confused about and can't decide what is best Lonrisun or Sunray...Both box are almost same price...I read at forum about heating issue of Sunray...otherwise Sunray is best, confirm by experienced user...Lonrisun also nice with v4 manual update...what is your opinion about box...if you satisfied with your purchase, send me link for me...
Thanks in advance...

Back