Liverpool News

I noticed that on liverpoolfc.tv Pennant got more votes for midfielder of the season than Xabi did. Is anyone else surprised by that? I thought Xabi had a poor season personally, but I thought other Liverpool fans reckoned he could do no wrong...Rafa certainly seems to think so when he gives him Gerrard's position and puts Stevie out on the right. I like Xabi, he always gives 100%, he can pass and tackle and he can 'control' the game from midfield, but I don't like him as much as Rafa seems to.

Yeh thats strange..i dont think pennant had a better season than xabi.. xabi regularly performs at high standard unlike pennant. I still dont think pennant is a player for liverpool. I believe xabi is a real good player for us and yes he can run control the midfield...a bargain for 10 mill....we need a striker and a right sided midfileder...

sorry but i still think if we played the 4-5-1 as we did when we won champions league last time, you'ld see the best midfielder in the world, gerrard..

sorry but i still think if we played the 4-5-1 as we did when we won champions league last time, you'ld see the best midfielder in the world, gerrard..

People think Gerrard is the best all round midfielder. Well, as a Liverpool supporter I honestly can't say that is true. I just read a startling fact today. The most assists (for goals) by any Liverpool player was 4 by Steve Finnan. If Gerrard was the best midfielder why, when given the license to roam, did he not manage to even get 4 assists? This is absolutely disgarceful and is one of the reasons why Liverpool have not done well this season. It's because Gerrard is not a team player, and he is very selfish. I say no player is bigger than the club, and if we sold Gerrard we would be able to buy 2 or 3 decent players for the money.

I know a lot of reds will not agree with this view, but that's the way I see it.

People think Gerrard is the best all round midfielder. Well, as a Liverpool supporter I honestly can't say that is true. I just read a startling fact today. The most assists (for goals) by any Liverpool player was 4 by Steve Finnan. If Gerrard was the best midfielder why, when given the license to roam, did he not manage to even get 4 assists? This is absolutely disgarceful and is one of the reasons why Liverpool have not done well this season. It's because Gerrard is not a team player, and he is very selfish. I say no player is bigger than the club, and if we sold Gerrard we would be able to buy 2 or 3 decent players for the money.

I know a lot of reds will not agree with this view, but that's the way I see it.

gerrard without a shed of a doubt is da world best all round midfielder. This season was not the best of seasons he has had but most of the chances he created were not taken. we must remember that he has not had a proper break since 2005. we won the champions league and had to cut the holidays short becuase we had to start in the 1st round in the following campaign. then last summer he was representing his country. on top of all that he was playing out of position for most part of the season.

gerrard will be an automatic in a first team x1 for any club in the world. if we can sign a quality striker who is a finisher you will see more assist for gerrard! as far as gerrard being selfish, and not being a team player- i aint cn a better team player in world football. he lifts the whole team himself and is the captain and always looks for passes!! he wont be playing out of position if he wasnt a team player!!

i have a lot more to say but as everyone entitled to there opinions ( even silly ones like that) i will leave it at that.

@reddwarf...you are the 1st LFC fan I have ever heard say sell Gerrard, but of course you are entitled to your opion as much as the next man.

We are trying to build a team and imho, we build it around Gerrard, he is the undoubted talent of our team, our captain and the teams inspiration. He plays for the shirt, loves the club, the fans and is Liverpool through and through and I dont see how selling him would benefit us in any way, but then thats only my opinion.

@reddwarf...you are the 1st LFC fan I have ever heard say sell Gerrard, but of course you are entitled to your opion as much as the next man.

We are trying to build a team and imho, we build it around Gerrard, he is the undoubted talent of our team, our captain and the teams inspiration. He plays for the shirt, loves the club, the fans and is Liverpool through and through and I dont see how selling him would benefit us in any way, but then thats only my opinion.

I don't doubt his commitment or his effort. I believe that our team shouldn't be built around any one player but to build the best team in terms of how they complement each other as a unit. The problem with Stevie G is that he is not discplined enough as a player. This is why Rafa said he needs to use his energy more efficiently and use his head more rather than just run about and waste all his energy.

The problem with having Gerrard in a roaming position is that it leaves Alonso to do all the dirty work on his own. When a move breaks down then we're in a bit of a mess. It also means that Alonso has to play 10 yards deeper than he was playing in his first season (his best season). Everyone seems to blame Alonso for the loss of form, but I believe it is more to do with the position he is playing and what he is asked to do. Alonso is a lot better player playing 10 yards further forward and spraying his passes about and making that killer pass.

Ok, it's getting a bit too long, but like I say Jaffa, it's only my opinion...and I hope that it doesn't make a less of reds fan for it!

Last edited:
Dont make you any less a reds fan m8, everyone thinks they no the best team and you you should have your say. If we get a striker or if Kuyt finds his scoring boots and not just his sheer workrate boots, then we may see a different Gerrard next year, a smarter more efficent Gerrard, at the minute, I blame last year on fatigue and trying to do everything.

Dont make you any less a reds fan m8, everyone thinks they no the best team and you you should have your say. If we get a striker or if Kuyt finds his scoring boots and not just his sheer workrate boots, then we may see a different Gerrard next year, a smarter more efficent Gerrard, at the minute, I blame last year on fatigue and trying to do everything.

I hope so mate. I hope we sign Eto or Tevez. We badly need a striker that tucks them away on a regular basis.

Anyway, now that I got that off my chest I feel a lot better : colors1

Gillett: We're Entering Phase Two

npx_gillett_120_01_new.jpg

George Gillett has revealed the club is about to enter "phase two" of its summer strengthening process – bringing players in.
The Liverpool co-owner says securing extended deals for current stars like Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Pepe Reina and Xabi Alonso was phase one.

Gillett explained: "I sense that kind of pressure building from the media. I think the fans know that we have huge regard for Rafa. He has a number of initiatives and concepts and plans under way.

"We're not going to do something just to try to prove something. I can assure you that we are working on different things.

"The first part was identifying a number of our existing star players whom Rafa wanted to sign on long-term contracts.

"That was the first step and it has been done. Now we're moving on to phase two, which is bringing players in.

"For Tom and me, this really is about trying to win championships, and that takes commitment, no matter what sport.

"We are pleased with Rafa and his strategy. It's not dissimilar to what he outlined to us in February. His belief is to look for players with the proper chemistry to enhance the team.

"We support Rafa. He has a programme under way and, as that unfolds, that will be the time for us to be judged, not now."

Gillett's son, Foster, will arrive later this summer to work with Anfield chief executive Rick Parry.

His father added: "This is a very fast-changing sport, where decisions often need to be made very quickly.

"There was substantial concern on Rick and Rafa's part as to how, with the time differences, we could guarantee quick decisions and communication. This is a way of doing that."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it's about time I was starting to think they were going to give Bellamy another chance lol

Liverpool need a big name striker, not going back to Owen who is slower now & injury prone. We could sell you Sebo if you have enough cash;)

Liverpool have submitted their revised stadium plans to the council today (18th) and are due to publicly announce them to the world next Thursday (28th) What people don't know is that the press will be greeted by Henry, Teves, Alves&David Silva. All the deals have been done but the new owners want to make a statement of intent by showing them&the new stadium off at the same time for maximum impact.

we wish and hope

Liverpool have submitted their revised stadium plans to the council today (18th) and are due to publicly announce them to the world next Thursday (28th) What people don't know is that the press will be greeted by Henry, Teves, Alves&David Silva. All the deals have been done but the new owners want to make a statement of intent by showing them&the new stadium off at the same time for maximum impact.

we wish and hope

hehe i will have to wait till next thursday for that one!! henry has stated his admiration for liverpool and gerrard. alves had been linked with us for time. tevez will be a great signing aswel. david silva is a good versatile player aswel!!

lets wish, hope and pray that all four of them arrive. the best one will be henry though...

I believe Liverpool are busy trying to raise money with the sale of Cisse, Bellamy and Gonzalez which should come to £20m in total.

We've tabled a bid for
1) Eto'o, but he's probably staying at Barca
2) Torres
3) Tevez
in the hope one or other comes off. (I wouldn't bother expecting Henry.)

Mancini and Simao are still possibilities.

The latest on Benayoun is that West Ham rejected £1m but we haven't made an increased bid yet (unless it happened late today).

Today's news...

Aston Villa have enquired about Bellamy.

Athletico don't want Torres to go, but he's keen on a move and they can't make him stay.

Danny Guthrie to Bolton on loan for the season.

Rafa On Transfers: There Is No Urgency Yet

130407_pc_rb_120_2.jpg

Rafael Benitez has told supporters not to panic about the club's lack of transfer activity so far this summer.

With the first batch of players due back at Melwood for the start of pre-season training on Thursday, press speculation is rife as to which 'big names' are on the Liverpool manager's shortlist.

But although he's keen to strengthen the squad as soon as possible, Benitez remains calm and insists progress is being made behind the scenes to bring new faces in.

"We have a number of targets, and I am receiving interesting phone calls all the time," he said.

"We are monitoring situations all the time and there is no urgency yet. If we bring in players from Spain, they only finished playing a week ago so they will need a longer break, but I would like somebody in before we start pre-season training."

I tell you what Rafa needs to go on a shopping spree, i'm getting a bir worried over here, havent heard much speculation about Liverpool transfers. We havent bought muhc wiht this voronin geezer who i dont think is gonna give us 20+ goals a season.

I believe Liverpool are busy trying to raise money with the sale of Cisse, Bellamy and Gonzalez which should come to £20m in total.

We've tabled a bid for
1) Eto'o, but he's probably staying at Barca
2) Torres
3) Tevez
in the hope one or other comes off. (I wouldn't bother expecting Henry.)

Mancini and Simao are still possibilities.

The latest on Benayoun is that West Ham rejected £1m but we haven't made an increased bid yet (unless it happened late today).

Naa i reckon Eto'o has pi$$ed off too many people at Barca this season and he'll be on the move soon... would love to see him at Liverpool.

Back