Liverpool News

Mcparland Says Goodbye After 13 Years

mcparland_120_01.jpg

It was with a heavy heart and huge debt of gratitude to Rafael Benitez that Frank McParland drove through the gates of Melwood for the final time on Friday.
The departing Joint Chief Scout ended his 13-year association with the Reds I colast week to link-up with close-friend Sammy Lee as Director of Football at the Reebok Stadium.

But after clearing his desk and saying his final goodbyes, the popular Scouser sat down with Liverpoolfc.tv to conduct one final interview, in which he admitted the decision to leave his beloved Liverpool and sever his working ties with the inspirational Benitez was one of the hardest he's ever had to make.

"I've supported this club all my life, as have all my family, so as you can imagine it was very very difficult for me," said the Huyton-born 48-year old.

"The reaction of my family was mixed but they understand that this was something I've got to do for myself. I didn't want to look back in ten years time and think, 'If only...' Liverpool is a club on the up and under Rafa it will only get better but for me at the moment, I think it's the right move.

"There was a lot of agonising over the decision. This (Melwood) is such a fabulous place to work, everything about it is brilliant and Friday was a very sad day, that's for sure mate.

"I could have stayed and continued as chief scout of Liverpool until I retire and that would have been great. For most people there couldn't be a better job but I'm ambitious to test myself in a more senior role and the offer to work with Sammy at Bolton was, for me, too good to turn down.

"I can honestly say I wouldn't have left had it not been for him. Bolton is the only club I would have gone to and that is solely because of Sammy. We are good friends but our friendship only goes back to when I started here at Liverpool.

"We think the same, share the same work ethic and generally like the same sort of things. So while I'm obviously sad to be leaving Liverpool, I'm made up at the fact that I'm going to be working with Sammy. He's a great young manager with all the necessary qualifications and experience. He's learned from the best and for him to approach me was a real honour.

"Telling Rafa of my decision to leave was one of the hardest things I've had to do in football. There was just me and him in the room when I told him and at first I think he was quite shocked because he knew how happy I was here.

"He wanted me to stay and we discussed both the plus and negative points. I went away and thought some more then came in the next day and explained I was sticking by my decision.

"Being the man that he his, he fully understood the decision I'd made. He realises it's a step up for me and has told me I can ring him anytime I like for advice or just to chat as a friend. I'm just really pleased to be leaving with such dignity. His support, and that of everyone else at the club, means a lot to me."

There's no doubt that this club will forever remain close to the heart of McParland and the high esteem in which he holds Reds boss Benitez is evidently clear.

"Being an employee of Liverpool Football Club has been an absolutely incredible experience and working with Rafa for the last three years has been particularly unbelievable for me," he added.

"In the last three years my footballing knowledge has improved an incredible amount and I put this largely down to the influence of Rafa. I didn’t get involved on the tactics side. My main job has been to find players at the right price and I've learned so much about how to deal with agents and co-operate with other clubs.

"There was no way I could have done this job before he came. But having worked with him and learned so much from him I now feel I've got the skills needed to go on and do other things in football.

"What I would say though is that anyone who ever has the chance to work with him should take it because they'd learn so much. I've been just a small cog in the wheel but it's been a privilege to have been part of what he's implemented at this club.

"The future here is very rosy and with the backing of the board I've no doubt he'll one day land the Premiership title. He's so happy at Liverpool, he loves the place. And he's the best manager this club could have, that's for sure."

A former BT general manager, McParland's rise through the Anfield ranks was a meteoric one. From part-time coach at the Academy to Joint Chief Scout in 13 years, the progress he made has been impressive.

He helped nurture many of the club's younger players and, of the current first team squad, was instrumental in bringing the likes of Peter Crouch, Daniel Agger and Dirk Kuyt to Anfield. But is there one player whose progress has given him a greater source of pride than all others?

"There's been a lot of signing that have pleased me since becoming Joint Chief Scout but I think the one that stands out is Daniel Agger," he revealed. "Dan's come on really well and has great potential to get better and better. He's a fantastic professional.

"We initially spotted him a while ago and myself and Paco Herrera did a lot of work before completing the deal. That's not to say it was just down to us, however. Far from it. All of our scouts watched him and liked him. That's the way scouting works. It's not just about one opinion. We all have an input then, at the end of the day, it's down to the boss to make the final decision.

"I've been involved with the signing of every player in the last three years, whether they turned out good, average or bad. It's very easy for scouts to say they spotted this player and that player. Whenever there's a discussion about a top player you'll get five or six scouts claiming to have found him but no-one will ever claim to have spotted a bad player!

"Having been at the club so long I've also grown up with, if you like, and got to know well, many of the local lads such as Stevie, Carra and Robbie. I come from the same sort of background and, although I never spotted any of them, it's been great to see them develop into such stars.

"I'm a great advocate of local talent being given a chance and I'd love to see Liverpool field a team with more local lads in it. To have a team crammed full of Scouse, or just English, lads would be fantastic but as the game becomes more globalised this becomes more and more difficult. And the task facing the Academies at all clubs now is a massive one.

"The standards here are very high and for that reason it is more difficult for local lads to make the breakthrough. Liverpool is always on the lookout for the top players and if the top player is Brazilian, as opposed to English, you have to sign the Brazilian. Alternatively, if the top player is from Bootle, you must sign him. It's about knowing what's out there and backing your judgement.

"But I know Rafa is very keen on keeping a good nucleus of English players in the side and to have signed the likes of Stevie and Carra up on long-term contracts is another major positive for the future."

Whatever the future holds for McParland and Liverpool there's one night that will never fade from his memory and, not surprisingly, it's the clear highlight of his time at the club.

"From a supporters point of view, as much as a worker, it would have to be the Champions League Final of 2005," he said. "To have been involved with some of the players who played that night can never be bettered.

"I said to someone recently that I wish I'd have been 65 at the time of that game because I could have then bowed out at the very top. I could have retired happy and forgot all about football because no-one will ever see another game like that."

A highly-respected figure within the club, McParland will be missed by all those who have worked with him at Liverpool as much as he'll miss them but it won’t be long before he's back at Anfield and already he's counting down the days to the reunion.

"Bolton versus Liverpool was the first game I looked for when the fixtures came out and December 1 is a date firmly pencilled in my diary. I had a bet with Sammy that we'd be back at Anfield on the first day but December will do and it's a day I'm already looking forward to.

"It'll be very difficult to take in to be honest. Ever since I was a kid I've gone to the match as a Liverpool supporter but now I'll find myself on the opposite side and my loyalty will obviously be with Bolton so it's going to be strange.

"I'll never stop being a Liverpool fan though and the first result I'll be looking for after a Bolton match will always be the Liverpool one. And that will never change."

As I understand it, the latest is that:
1) Athletico Madrid and Liverpool have agreed about £20m + Luis Garcia for Torres. They may still be discussing personal terms.
2) The offer is still on the table for Tevez, but nothing will happen until West Ham know for sure which league they'll be playing in next season. There is the possibility of a 'loan with option to buy' deal.
3) Mancini is still first choice over Simao, but that's still ongoing.
4) Benayoun is putting pressure on his bosses to accept Liverpool's offer, if they haven't already.
5) Parry is looking at making an offer for Quaresma (scored for Porto against Chelski).
6) Leighton Baines is a possible left back target from Wigan, especially if someone bids big for Riise.
7) Cisse's probably staying at OM, Bellamy is going to Villa or some other medium-sized English club and Gonzalez is likely to go to Spain.

Recent developments are that the Torres / Garcia deal is more or less concluded now. Everything, including personal terms, has been agreed. Now it's just a matter of putting pen to paper.

Also, we've made an official bid for Mancini now. It must be over £10m, so we're getting some serious money from somewhere...(£?m from Cisse, Bellamy and Gonzalez would help, I suppose.)

Reds land another starlet

benitez-training.jpg

Liverpool have continued their youth recruitment drive with another raid on Bulgaria.

CSKA Sofia midfielder Mihail Alexandrov has announced that he has agreed a deal to move to Anfield.

The 18-year-old told Bulgarian radio that he has already passed a medical with Rafa Benitez's outfit.

Alexandrov revealed that he will finish his current youth season with CSKA before linking up with Liverpool.

"Everything is done - I've passed a medical, agreed terms, the only thing left is to sign the contract," Alexandrov is quoted in the Bulgarian media.

"Even in my most optimistic dreams, I never thought I would move to a club this big."

Alexandrov's capture is Liverpool's second raid on Bulgaria following the capture of Levski goalkeeper Nikolai Mihailov last week.

In the last week the captures of youngsters Dani Pacheco, Alex Kacaniklic, Marvin Purie, Mikel San Jose, Krisztian Nemeth and Andras Simon have all been confirmed.

Fernando Torres All Set To Sign Today

030706_torres_120_1.jpg

Liverpool Football Club has announced that Spanish striker Fernando Torres passed a medical on Tuesday and will complete his move to Anfield later today.
The 23-year-old is expected to make the deal official this afternoon before being unveiled to the media.

A club spokesman said: "The player has passed a medical. All the agreements are now in place and he will put pen to paper on the deal on Wednesday."

The striker has spent the previous 12 years at Atletico Madrid, the club he supported as a boy. The Spanish giants snapped him up at the age of 11 after he netted 55 goals in his first season at amateur side Rayo 13.

Three years after his arrival, Torres was named the best under-14 player in Europe following his performances in the Nike Cup. He signed his first professional contract in 1999 but had to wait until May 27, 2001 to make his debut against Leganes.

Still, at 17 years and 68 days, he was Atletico's youngest ever player. Within a week, he'd scored his first goal in a match against Albacete.

The 2001-02 season saw him net six times in 36 league appearances, helping his side win promotion to La Liga.

Meanwhile, he was still making waves on the international scene.

Torres was top scorer and player of the tournament in the 2001 European Under-16 Championships and 2002 European Under-19 Championships, both of which Spain won.

The frontman bagged 13 goals during his first season in the Spanish top flight, earning him a first under-21 cap for his country.

The 2003-04 campaign proved to be a momentous one for Torres. Not only did he score 19 goals in 35 league appearances, but he was also handed the club captaincy. At 19, he was the youngest skipper in Atletico's long and illustrious history.

On top of all this, the youngster was also called up into the senior Spain squad, making his full debut in a friendly with Portugal on September 6, 2003. The following April he scored his first international goal against Italy. He was then part of the Spain squad which traveled to Euro 2004 in Holland and Belgium.

Torres got his first and only taste of European competition when Atletico entered the Intertoto Cup prior to the 2004-05 campaign. He scored twice in five games but tasted defeat in the final at the hands of Villarreal.

The player nicknamed El Nino (The Kid) because of his youthful appearance was selected for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, where he scored three goals.

In May 2007 Torres hit the headlines when he revealed the words 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on the inside of his captain's armband during a match against Real Sociedad.

If he completes his move to Anfield as expected on Wednesday, he'll leave Atletico with a record of 82 goals in 214 league appearances.

Fowler: Torres Can Bridge Gap

fernando_torres_120_3.jpg

Robbie Fowler has backed Fernando Torres to be a big hit in English football if, as expected, he signs for Liverpool on Wednesday.
Torres, who passed a medical at Melwood on Tuesday afternoon, has agreed personal terms with the Reds.

And Fowler is sure the striker has the quality required to turn Liverpool into genuine title contenders.

He said: "His goals record has been fantastic in Spain. He has scored plenty of goals for his country as well. I think he will be a great player for Liverpool.

"I am a Liverpool fan and I hope he brings the championship to us.

"Since I have been playing, we've never won that and, as I said before, I am a fan, so I want Liverpool to win everything.

"Signing players of this calibre will only help the club to get in a position where they can challenge for titles."

The 32-year-old added: "It's going to be a hard job to catch Manchester United and Chelsea again, but Liverpool have got the right man in charge and with the right players and a little bit of luck, hopefully we'll be talking at the end of the season about Liverpool being champions."

Meanwhile, despite not always featuring prominently, Fowler claims he wouldn't swap his second spell at Anfield for the world.

"I was just made up to be back at Liverpool. It's a club close to my heart. It was great being back and I wouldn't have swapped that for the world."

Liverpool have called a press conference for 3pm on Wednesday, where club record signing Fernando Torres (El Niño) will be paraded before the media.

Torres has already delivered his farewells to the Atletico Madrid faithful and will now travel back to Merseyside for his first appearance in front of the English press.

Having passed a medical on Tuesday, Torres has put the final touches on a deal purported to be worth in the region of £26.5million.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikBa5bWdoQs&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

"It has been a difficult decision to leave my all-time club," Torres told the Spanish media, in his final press conference in Madrid.

"But it would have been hard for me to reject Liverpool's offer. It is a big leap for me and I think it was the right thing for everyone.

"The time comes in the life of a player that he needs more challenges.

"I have always done what was best for the club, too. The Liverpool offer arrived and I only told the club to listen to that offer because that is the team I wanted to play for.

"It's one of the best, if not the best, clubs in Europe."

Torres is to inherit the number nine shirt previously graced by Liverpool legends Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler, and it is an honour he is ready to embrace at Anfield.

"The fact that Liverpool are giving me the number nine jersey just goes to show the confidence they have placed in me, when considering those who have worn that shirt before me," he added.

"A new beautiful adventure begins for me and I hope that with work and effort I can be among the best players.

"This is a unique opportunity for me. Liverpool aspire to everything and that has been an important factor in my decision to go there.

"I want to adapt as quickly as possible. I think Premiership is a football that adapts well to my style.

"I will arrive with a lot of joy and ambition."

Torres' signing will be seen as a signal of intent on the behalf of Liverpool ahead of the new campaign, with Rafa Benitez thought to have prioritised a genuine title tilt for next season.

Benitez has in the past spoken of his frustration at being dwarfed in the transfer market but now, having been handed significant funds, he will be expected to deliver a side capable of winning the Premier League.

It is expected that Torres will be paid around £90,000 per week on a six year deal.

Recent developments are that the Torres / Garcia deal is more or less concluded now. Everything, including personal terms, has been agreed. Now it's just a matter of putting pen to paper.

Also, we've made an official bid for Mancini now. It must be over £10m, so we're getting some serious money from somewhere...(£?m from Cisse, Bellamy and Gonzalez would help, I suppose.)

Mancini is in town tonight. Roma have bought a replacement already...so it's looking good. I think the bid is around £15m, but I could be wrong there.

Rafa all but admitted today that he's selling Bellamy. My guess would be Villa, but there are at least three clubs interested (apart from Newcastle!)

Mancini is still looking good. There is still the usual difference of opinion on the price, but everything is moving in the right direction at the moment.

Rafa said he's looking for wingers. I don't know if he wants two wingers or he's looking at more than one winger with the idea of buying one. Gonzalez might be off, so maybe two wingers would be a good idea.

Mancini is still looking good. There is still the usual difference of opinion on the price, but everything is moving in the right direction at the moment.

Rafa said he's looking for wingers. I don't know if he wants two wingers or he's looking at more than one winger with the idea of buying one. Gonzalez might be off, so maybe two wingers would be a good idea.

I like Gonzalez he has something about him I'd give him another season I bet he will improve we all know he's got the speed he just needs that flare now as for Mancini I hope he comes to Liverpool he's another great player and maybe Gonzalez can learn off of him and become better that way.

Good news on the transfers out: We've had decent offers for Cisse and Bellamy (from different clubs). I don't know how much, but around £20m for the two would be great news. That'll be Torres paid for!

Everything else seems to be still on track i.e. Mancini and Benayoun.

Good news on the transfers out: We've had decent offers for Cisse and Bellamy (from different clubs). I don't know how much, but around £20m for the two would be great news. That'll be Torres paid for!

Everything else seems to be still on track i.e. Mancini and Benayoun.

where did you get that info from

Various

Djibril Cisse want to move to Marseille despite Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez accepting other offers for the forward.
Benitez is looking for £9 million for the player and with Marseille not prepared to pay the full amount Benitez will accept any offers for Cisse even if Marseille say
Marseille claimed they have "agreed in principle" a deal to sign Liverpool's Djibril Cisse. (SkySportsNews)
One offer to be on the table from the Hammers is £4 million plus Yossi Benayoun which is on Benitezes transfer list.

As for the Welsh international Craig Bellamy looks set to sign for the hammers but holding back over the price tag Benitez has stuck on him is said to be £9 million which is £3 million more that what he payed for the Welsh international last year and if the offer for Cisse falls through they will make a similar offer for Craig Bellamy plus Yossi Benayoun.
Other clubs have been linked with the Welsh international are also waiting for the price tag to drop are Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Blackburn Rovers.

Last edited:
Rafa Praise As Voronin Completes Move

andriy_voronin_120_1.jpg

Liverpool Football Club has today officially announced the signing of Ukrainian international striker Andriy Voronin.
The 27-year-old, who was out of contract at Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen, will be unveiled to the media after 1pm today.

Rafa Benitez said: "He is a player with pace and with good movement. He plays between the lines, between defenders. He is a good worker also, and he scores goals.

"He's not the kind of player you can talk about strengths because he has many things he can give to us."

Voronin is a versatile forward who has played in the hole, on the wing and as an out-and-out striker.

He began his professional career aged 15 after Borussia Moenchengladbach spotted him playing for Ukraine Under-16s.

Next up for the player nicknamed The Raven was a move to FSV Mainz, where he scored 20 league goals during the 2002/03 season.

Voronin signed for FC Cologne in 2003 but was snapped up by Leverkusen a year later.

In 2004-05 he featured in the German side's 6-2 aggregate defeat to Liverpool in the Champions League.

The striker leaves the BayArena with a record of 21 goals in 71 league games.

Voronin made his international debut in a friendly against Romania in March 2002. He's so far earned 44 caps, including four in the 2006 World Cup, and scored five goals for his country.

i like the fact that rafa keeps a very keen eye for talented youngsters, but doesn't carry anyone who doesn't pull their weight, he's getting closer and closer to a pure benitez squad, it's taken awhile but he's dispatched houllier's "starlets" and isn't scared of getting rid of anyone he buys who doesn't fall in. if he can do with us what wenger has done with the gunners, he'll be way up there with the greatest liverpool managers of all time, if he isn't up there already!

Liverpool Win

Liverpool has won they're first friendly against Wrexham 3-2

130106-bez_120_01.jpg

Liverpools young forward Besian Idrizaj scored an amazing hat-trick in the first half the tall Austrian was in unstoppable form during the opening 45 minutes, with Jermaine Pennant also impressing with a trio of assists.

Last edited:
Yeah it was a great game and the second goal was very good

Bellamy completes West Ham move

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed that Craig Bellamy has completed a move to West Ham.
The Hammers are reported to have paid £8m for the Wales international on a four-year deal for £75,000 a week.

Benitez also confirmed the Reds have made an offer to sign West Ham's Yossi Benayoun which has been turned down.

"Any move for Benayoun to join us from West Ham will not be linked with the Bellamy sale. We have made an offer which has been rejected," Benitez said.

The Spaniard is however confident of landing the Israel midfielder next week.

He added: "He is a player I like and would want to sign, and I believe he wants to join us, but that deal will be separate now. We will have to wait and see what happens now next week."

West Ham had attempted to use Benayoun as a straight swap for Bellamy, but Liverpool consider him to be worth around £3.5m, and that offer has been rejected by the Hammers.

Bellamy has fallen down the pecking order at Anfield following boss Rafael Benitez's summer signings of Fernando Torres and Andriy Voronin.

The Wales captain joined Liverpool from Blackburn for £6m in June 2006.

Cisse seals switch to Marseille

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed French striker Djibril Cisse has joined Marseille on a permanent basis for a fee of around £6m.
The 25-year-old spent last season on loan at the Stade Velodrome.

West Ham, Bolton and Portsmouth had also been chasing Cisse, who cost Liverpool £14m in July 2004.

Cisse will link up with former team-mate Boudewijn Zenden in the south of France after the Dutchman moved there on a two-year deal last week.

i'm glad to see the back of zenden, he never fitted in the team. Whats the latest with malouda, hes been linked to liverpool, or has he now gone elsewhere?

where did you get that info from

Not from the press. Both moves have been made more public today (Bellamy and Cisse) in the sense that the clubs are talking openly about them. I was too optimistic thinking we might get up to £20m for them though. Typical Parry, buy high, sell low. £15m seems more likely.

Our offer for Mancini has been rejected, so we can either up it or go for Quaresma, or Simao, or Babbel, or someone else entirely. Rafa is after a right-footed left-winger as we've already got Kewell (who's left-footed).

Malouda is much more likely to go to a team with less history...

Back