Liverpool News

Welshboy Taffy

Inactive User
Reaction score
REINA EMBRACES BRAVE NEW WORLD

JoseReina_229174.jpg

The prospect of being part of Liverpool's future and playing in the club's new stadium spurred Jose Reina to sign an improved five-year contract.

The Reds' new owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett will be unveiling their revised plans for the Stanley Park project later this month, with a new ground likely to be completed within three years.

And if Reina, 25, is still with the club by then he will be able to walk out at the new near-70,000 capacity arena.

After confirming his new contract yesterday, the Spain international said: "The new stadium was definitely one of the reasons behind the decision to sign a new contract.

"In an ideal world, we'd like to stay at Anfield but we understand we have to move for a number of reasons.

"I just hope we can have the same atmosphere in the new stadium. I'm so excited at the thought of being part of it."

Manager Rafael Benitez returned from holiday on Thursday to oversee the Reina signing, which follows new deals for Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher earlier in the week.

Benitez is also working on new contracts for Xabi Alonso, Mohamed Sissoko and Steve Finnan, as well as trying to complete some of his transfer targets.

But with Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o - coveted by AC Milan and Chelsea - insisting he wants to stay with the Catalan club, and French winger Florent Malouda now also being chased by Arsenal, any quick big-name move into Anfield is looking unlikely.

Benitez expressed his delight at Reina's new contract, telling the club's website: "We knew we needed to talk with a number of our players and Pepe was one of them.

"He has had two good years with us and, because of his age, we knew we had to sort out a long contract.

"I am really pleased that he has signed and I think it sends out a message to everyone that we are preparing our team for both the present and for the future.

"Pepe's record at Liverpool is very good. He's had a lot of clean sheets and you can see the confidence the defenders have in him. When he plays, the defenders look very comfortable and that is so important.

"I have said before that he's the best goalkeeper in Spain but he's also one of the best in the world.

"In this country, there are a couple of goalkeepers at the very top level and he is one of them."

Alonso Signs New Liverpool Deal

XabiAlonso_228542.jpg

Liverpool have added Xabi Alonso to their growing list of players to sign new contracts this week.

On Monday it was Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher penning new four-year deals, and on Thursday goalkeeper Jose Reina signed a five-year contract.

Now his fellow Spanish international Alonso has made it four players committing their futures with a five-year deal of his own, and Mohamed Sissoko and Steve Finnan are expected to follow over the weekend.

That will make it six in six days and complete a busy round of negotiations that will keep key members of the squad that reached the Champions League Final last season in Athens at the club long-term.

"I knew there was interest from other clubs but it was always my idea to stay here," said Alonso.

"I have been here for three seasons now and have such special feelings for the club and the supporters. I understand what Liverpool FC means to so many people. It is such a special club and I just didn't want to leave.

"We agreed that the talks would take place after the Champions League final and, to be honest, in the end it was a simple decision for me because I could see right away that the attitude of the club towards me was spot on.

"I greatly appreciate all the hard work that Rick Parry has put in on this contract and the faith that Rafa Benitez has shown in me. We all wanted to reach an agreement and we're all happy with the outcome.

"I want to be part of what lies ahead because I know it is going to be exciting. I've signed for another five years and there's no reason why we can't be successful.

"It's also good news to see that other players have signed new contracts this week. Stevie, Carra and Pepe are all big players for us and it's great they have all shown their commitment. I'm sure the manager will be bringing in new players as well and that the new owners will be making a big effort to improve the squad."

The deal with Alonso, back home in San Sebastian and tying up the final details by fax, has been Benitez's most worrying.

For several months the midfielder has been linked with a move to Barcelona, and the new contract seemed a thorny issue with the 25 year-old, a £10.5m signing from Real Sociedad in August 2004, one of Benitez's first captures.

He had been even linked as part of a swap-deal that would bring Samuel Eto'o from the Nou Camp to Anfield.

But Benitez has been determined to keep one of the players that he has built his Anfield squad around, and this contract signing will please the manager immensely.

As will the likely capture of Sissoko on a new deal. The tall midfielder suffered a bad eye injury 12 months ago and then a crisis of confidence last term when Javier Mascherano grabbed his holding midfield role.

That situation, with Sissoko missing the Athens final, attracted the attention of several European sides, particularly Juventus.

But Benitez does not want to lose the Mali international and a new deal is close to being completed. Likewise Finnan has proved his worth over the years and is also close to signing a new deal.

Florent Malouda claims Liverpool and Chelsea have contacted Lyon to enquire about the winger.

malouda_push.jpg

The French international is looking to leave Lyon over the summer in search of a new challenge in a different league.

Liverpool and Chelsea were both reported to be keen, but the Premiership pair have now initiated first contact.

Malouda insists he has no preference of where he goes and is now just waiting for more news from the French champions.

"I have talked with Lyon officials. There are no offers yet, but it is true there has been direct contact. Liverpool and Chelsea have shown interest," he told L'Equipe.

"I don't know how it will be finalised. But in my mind it is certain I will leave.

"At Chelsea there is Didier Drogba and all the rest. But at Liverpool, (Rafa) Benitez is a great coach too, and the team has played in two Champions League finals in three years.

"To me the most important thing will be the desire shown by the club. To move abroad, you really have to be wanted.

"I believe it will still need some time. But if the deal is good for Lyon, I believe they won't try to keep me."

I am surprised we've not been linked to Quaresma? He is a top top player!

i believe we should welcome back owen, being a liv supporter from as far back as i can remember (gd 15 years) i believe he is what we have been missing. he would b welcomed back just as hw fowler was. however unlike fowler owen stil has some good years ahead of him!!

i believe we should welcome back owen, being a liv supporter from as far back as i can remember (gd 15 years) i believe he is what we have been missing. he would b welcomed back just as hw fowler was. however unlike fowler owen stil has some good years ahead of him!!

Benitez doesn't seem interested though. Whether thats cos Owen left for Real after Benitez tried to get him to stay once he took over, I don't know.

Fowler always had a better relationship with the fans than Owen.

Benitez doesn't seem interested though. Whether thats cos Owen left for Real after Benitez tried to get him to stay once he took over, I don't know.

Fowler always had a better relationship with the fans than Owen.

hmm i as a liverpool supporter was gutted when owen left, yet in a wierd way understood as at that time our club was not doing so well. even steven gerrard was losing hope until good old rafa cme n sorted it. bright times ahead just hope owen comes back where he belongs at LFC

I think Owen has lost the half a yard he used to have,m because of all his injury problems. I don't think he is the player he was when he left Liverpoool. We need more than just a crowd pleaser. I still think Bellamy should be given a go. He has the speed, and ability. He just needs to have his head sorted out.

i would lose bellamy for owen any day of the week. owen use to perform and link up wth gerrard brilliantly. i still dont believe he has become fully match fit hence he has looked like he has lost half a yard. i mean i am hearing us being linked with a 15 million raid for forlan. yes de sme forlan that use to play for united. lets all hope that does not happen. if owen comes he is more than capable of scoring 20 goals or more. i also think he will link brilliantly with crouch and kuyt!!

Come on guys, don't say you want that little traitor back?!

We need someone in the class Tevez/Eto/Berbatov surely??

Come on guys, don't say you want that little traitor back?!

We need someone in the class Tevez/Eto/Berbatov surely??

You beat me to it m8...lol

Rafa wanted him to stay but he wanted to go and Rafa had no choice but to let him go and we only made buttons on him. I would like to see Tevez sign for us.

Gillett denies Rafa rift

gillett_conference.jpg

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett insists there has been no fall-out with Rafa Benitez over transfer funds.

However, the American tycoon says the club will resist "spending like a drunken sailor" this summer.

Rumours abounded of millions being made available to the Reds boss following the takeover by Gillett and Tom Hicks.

Samuel Eto'o and David Villa were mooted as possible transfer targets, but with little movement so far this summer it has been suggested that financial restrictions have forced Benitez to lower his sights.

As a result, reports have claimed that the former Valencia coach is disillusioned with the new regime at Anfield, but Gillett has angrily denied a rift.

"I read that Rafa is throwing hand-grenades at us and making demands, that there's a tension or disagreement between him and the Gillett and Hicks families," Gillett said in The Times.

"Nothing could be further from the truth.

"As far back as February, Rafa laid out a programme for us.

"Each one of our sports businesses has a core concept. It has to be part of an integrated plan.

"We have one at Liverpool, one we understand 100 per cent, believe in and support. The plan involves us spending money, but it will be part of a plan, not just spending like a drunken sailor."

Reds Hungary for young talents

Skysports.com can reveal that Liverpool have agreed a mutual co-operation with Hungarian club MTK Hungaria.

The Reds recently signed youngsters Andras Simon and Krisztian Nemeth (pictured) from the Budapest-based side, and a more formal association between the two clubs has now been announced.

As part of the agreement Liverpool will financially support MTK's Karoly Sandor academy, which produced both Simon and Nemeth, as well as assisting in the education of its young scholars.

Liverpool will be able to cherry-pick the best talents from MTK's academy, whilst The Reds may also send their own youth players and reserves to play in Hungary if they fail to make the grade at Anfield.

Revealing the co-operation in Agard on Tuesday, MTK general director Laszlo Domonyai hailed the link-up with Liverpool as a historic moment for Hungarian football.

"This is a milestone not only for MTK but for the whole of Hungarian football because Hungarian talents will get such an opportunity from this agreement that they could only dream about before in an academy like Agard's," Domonyai told skysports.com.

MTk also revealed that many European clubs were keen on linking up with the Hungarian side, but the vision of Reds boss Rafa Benitiez helped to sway the deal in Liverpool's favour.

Academy director Zsolt Tamasi added: "I can't express in words what an honour it is for us that Rafael Benitez and his team found us worthy for this co-operation.

"I think from now on all the members of the academy can be more proud of themselves."

The first fruit of the agreement will see MTK's young goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi spend 10 days at Liverpool's Melwood training ground, starting on 4th July.

fixture list for the new season

general_120_02.jpg

The fixture list for the new season was released by the Premier League on Thursday morning at 10am and, as ever, it's essential reading for every Liverpool supporter.

Liverpool will be hoping to pick up all three points on the opening day despite being handed a tough away fixture. Last season, Rafael Benitez watched his side fall two points behind eventual champions Manchester United on the first day of the season when the Reds could only muster a 1-1 draw with newly promoted Sheffield United.

Liverpool's first home game is scheduled to be against West Ham on Wednesday August 15 - although this could be postponed due to a Champions League Qualifier.

2007 Runners Up Chelsea visit Merseyside on August 18, while the first Merseyside derby of the new season will take place on October 20.

Arsenal travel to Anfield on October 27, while Manchester United vist on December 15.

There will be a Boxing Day trip to Pride Park to face newly promoted Derby County, a home fixture against Wigan on New Year's Day and a journey to Stamford Bridge on February 9.

Liverpool's game against Everton on March 29 is sandwiched between Manchester United away on March 22 and Arsenal away on April 5.

Sat Aug 11 Aston Villa (away)
Wed Aug 15 West Ham United (home)
Sat Aug 18 Chelsea (home)
Sat Aug 25 Sunderland (away)
Sat Sep 1 Derby County (home)
Sat Sep 15 Portsmouth (away)
Sat Sep 22 Birmingham City (home)
Sat Sep 29 Wigan Athletic (away)
Sat Oct 6 Tottenham Hotspur (home)
Sat Oct 20 Everton (away)
Sat Oct 27 Arsenal (home)
Sat Nov 3 Blackburn Rovers (away)
Sat Nov 10 Fulham (home)
Sat Nov 24 Newcastle United (away)
Sat Dec 1 Bolton Wanderers (home)
Sat Dec 8 Reading (away)
Sat Dec 15 Manchester United (home)
Sat Dec 22 Portsmouth (home)
Wed Dec 26 Derby County (away)
Sat Dec 29 Manchester City (away)
Tue Jan 1 Wigan Athletic (home)
Sat Jan 12 Middlesbrough (away)
Sat Jan 19 Aston Villa (home)
Tue Jan 29 West Ham United (away)
Sat Feb 2 Sunderland (home)
Sat Feb 9 Chelsea (away)
Sat Feb 23 Middlesbrough (home)
Sat Mar 1 Bolton Wanderers (away)
Sat Mar 8 Newcastle United (home)
Sat Mar 15 Reading (home)
Sat Mar 22 Manchester United (away)
Sat Mar 29 Everton (home)
Sat Apr 5 Arsenal (away)
Apr 12 Blackburn Rovers (home)
Sat Apr 19 Fulham (away)
Sat Apr 26 Birmingham City (away)
Sat May 3 Manchester City (home)
Sun May 11 Tottenham Hotspur (away)

Liverpool admit Benayoun approach

Liverpool have revealed they are interested in bringing West Ham midfielder Yossi Benayoun to Anfield.

The Israel international, 27, has verbally agreed to a new five-year deal at Upton Park, but has delayed committing his future in print.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry said: "I can confirm we've made an approach for Benayoun, but the figures quoted are completely wrong.

"Other than that we don't want to say any more."

Some reports suggested Liverpool had already offered £1m for the Israel captain, while others understood the figure to be £3m.

West Ham are believed to have rejected the bid as they aim to tie their midfielder, who joined from Racing Santander in 2005 for £2.5m, to a £50,000-a-week deal.

Last month, it was widely reported that Benayoun had signed the new contract although his agent Ronen Katzav later revealed his player had only agreed in principle.

Agger Scoops Lfc Goal Of The Season

g_010507_c_h_cl_da_120_1.jpg

Daniel Agger's stunning long-range strike against West Ham United has been voted Liverpool's best Premiership goal of 2006/2007.
We set up an exclusive vote for supporters to pick their favourite Premiership goal and from a selection of 10 Agger's effort was a clear winner.

Agger's goal against the Hammers received 4,211 votes, while Jermaine Pennant's spectacular strike against Chelsea came in at second with 2,501 votes. Xabi Alonso's sensational goal from his own half against Newcastle, came third in the poll with 2,496 votes.

LFC's Top 10 Premiership goals 2006/2007

1. Daniel Agger v West Ham. 4,211 votes.

2. Jermaine Pennant v Chelsea. 2,501 votes.

3. Xabi Alonso v Newcastle. 2,496 votes.

4. Peter Crouch v Bolton. 1,043 votes.

5. Peter Crouch v Arsenal. 697 votes.

6. Steven Gerrard v Bolton. 458 votes.

7. John Arne Riise v Tottenham. 433 votes.

8. Luis Garcia v Aston Villa. 170 votes.

9. Dirk Kuyt v West Ham. 168 votes.

10. Xabi Alonso v Watford. 135 votes.

Congratulations Steven And Alex

edit-0307-gerrard-mbe-story.jpg

Steven Gerrard will today enjoy his very own match of the day when he ties the knot with fiancee Alex Curran.
The Liverpool captain will celebrate his marriage in front of a star studded guest list in Berkshire.

The couple's two young daughters Lily Ella, 2, and Lexie, 9 months, will be Alex's bridesmaids for the day.

Everybody at Liverpool FC would like to send Steven and Alex their congratulations and wish them both every success in the future.

hasnt he cheated on her loads? sure i read that in the papers
probally just marrying him for the money

I am sorry but Owen chose money over his love for reds just as Mcmanaman did who cost us at least 10 million pounds by walking away to Real Madrid. Owen kept Liverpool waiting until his contract entered in the final year. Owen is a traitor and Reds & Rafa are better without him.

KOPKINGLFC

I am sorry but Owen chose money over his love for reds just as Mcmanaman did who cost us at least 10 million pounds by walking away to Real Madrid. Owen kept Liverpool waiting until his contract entered in the final year. Owen is a traitor and Reds & Rafa are better without him.

KOPKINGLFC

i am pretty sure owen did not leave for money. he left because he wanted to win trophys. even gerrard was going to leave 2wice!! owens love for the club is there for anyone to see. yea he made a mistake leaving us and since he has left we have not had a goal scorer!

with gerrard, alonso, pennant putting in the balls and crouchy and kuyt laying them off owen will be having a field day!

Back