Routers Linksys WRT54G

Hello Guys,
First off, Thank you for the replies. I connected the router to my VM hub Home network and it just wouldn't connect to the internet. All the light act normal, but I can't connect to the routers web page not now does it connect to the net, wired or wireless. I get an IP address of the router as 194.254.251.4 and subnet mask 255.255.0.0. If I ping that address in cmd, I do get replies without loosing any packets.
It has been such a long time ago that I reflashed this router with dd-wrt firmware and I have forgotten the exact details of that firmware. I thought that if i can reflash it again, then maybe i can use it with vpn. I have tried all the methods mentioned on the net and tutorials, but to no avail. I am hoping that some clever person might have a way i can revive the router again.
Again many thanks in advance.
PS. sorry for the long post. Hope it not confusing.

First off there is a load of problems on your network
- you router with IP of 194.254.251.4 is not using a private address IP. Not using a private IP range will result in routing issue.
- You can ping that IP as you are probably pinging some device on the internet with that. I have tried and am unable to ping it.
- You can not access the UI as many routers do not allow access to their UIs unless the device is on the same network. This is for security reasons so the UI can not be accessed from the internet and brute forced. There was a time you could login to peoples router as they were accessable online and do all sorts of stuff new router prevent this with firewall rules prventing access to the router from non private IP ranges.

Information we need to help
1). Have you directly connected to the router using a Ethernet cable ?
2). when directly connected are you receiving an IP via DHCP,
3). are you able to access the UI when directly connected.
4). I am confused by your network layout. is the Linksys your primary router and then the VM hub is connected to your ISP. I am assuming DHCP and the usual protocols that will affect your Linksys have been disabled on your VM hub?
5). The screenshots of the command line you have provided are you able to access the internet with any of them?

The 1st image just shows it wasn't able to grap an address from router under dhcp. That ip is a reserved red herring.

The 2nd image is because you've forced it static so now need to see if you can ping the router from your pc - command line and then ping 192.168.1.1 - and if not then change both out to x.x.0.x and try again after rebooting both.

It's possible you may have turned dhcp off on the router at some point
hi VictorV,
pinging 192.168.1.1 does nothing. I connected the router to the pc via ethernet cable and checked the property details, and it is still giving me the same ip 169.254.24.153 with subnet mask 255.255.0.0. The lights on the front panel are all normal. i can even see it's wireless name when I view wireless networks but just cannot connect to it, no matter what. same happens when you change the settings to static settings

First off there is a load of problems on your network
- you router with IP of 194.254.251.4 is not using a private address IP. Not using a private IP range will result in routing issue.
- You can ping that IP as you are probably pinging some device on the internet with that. I have tried and am unable to ping it.
- You can not access the UI as many routers do not allow access to their UIs unless the device is on the same network. This is for security reasons so the UI can not be accessed from the internet and brute forced. There was a time you could login to peoples router as they were accessable online and do all sorts of stuff new router prevent this with firewall rules prventing access to the router from non private IP ranges.

Information we need to help
1). Have you directly connected to the router using a Ethernet cable ?
2). when directly connected are you receiving an IP via DHCP,
3). are you able to access the UI when directly connected.
4). I am confused by your network layout. is the Linksys your primary router and then the VM hub is connected to your ISP. I am assuming DHCP and the usual protocols that will affect your Linksys have been disabled on your VM hub?
5). The screenshots of the command line you have provided are you able to access the internet with any of them?
Hello there,
The IP 194.254.251.4 was what i got when i first connected the router to the network via a pc running win xp. Now I get IP 169.254.24.153 with subnet mask 255.255.0.0. My setup is as follows: VM Cable superhub is the main provider of the internet into the premises. This linksys router was at one time used as an extender to the wireless network, but kept freezing up requiring a reboot. So I took it out and put it away. Now I need to use vpn for certain things and I knew that this linksys router with dd=wrt firmware was vpn capable, so I tried to access the settings so that I could do the necessary settings. but something went wrong and the result is I just can't access it's web page gui. The lights on the panel are all ok showing all the normal things, ie power steady, wlan blinking on and off, ethernet lights showing when cable connected, etc etc. realling baffling. Do you think it is a Jtag job to make it alive again. it seem to be in a coma atm.

Hello there,
The IP 194.254.251.4 was what i got when i first connected the router to the network via a pc running win xp. Now I get IP 169.254.24.153 with subnet mask 255.255.0.0. My setup is as follows: VM Cable superhub is the main provider of the internet into the premises. This linksys router was at one time used as an extender to the wireless network, but kept freezing up requiring a reboot. So I took it out and put it away. Now I need to use vpn for certain things and I knew that this linksys router with dd=wrt firmware was vpn capable, so I tried to access the settings so that I could do the necessary settings. but something went wrong and the result is I just can't access it's web page gui. The lights on the panel are all ok showing all the normal things, ie power steady, wlan blinking on and off, ethernet lights showing when cable connected, etc etc. realling baffling. Do you think it is a Jtag job to make it alive again. it seem to be in a coma atm.

since the first time connecting win XP device you are no longer getting an IP assigned? when you got IP info when connected with the win xp machine did you discover the default gateway?

If you do not have any more IP information the please configure the following on your device.
IP = 194.254.251.100
netmask = 255.255.0.0
leave default gateway blank.

install and use nmap to run following command
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

then provide me the file test.xml

that scan may take a long time(hour or so) as it is scanning 64k IPs

since the first time connecting win XP device you are no longer getting an IP assigned? when you got IP info when connected with the win xp machine did you discover the default gateway?

If you do not have any more IP information the please configure the following on your device.
IP = 194.254.251.100
netmask = 255.255.0.0
leave default gateway blank.

install and use nmap to run following command
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

then provide me the file test.xml

that scan may take a long time(hour or so) as it is scanning 64k IPs
Just one thing, Sir,
Does the router have to be connected to the PC when I run Nmap?
PS: sorry for the late reply and thank you for the input.

@Grimeire,
I installed the nmap ver 6.47, as advised on the site for windows xp useds, but doesn't worl. I even installed the latest version on top of the 6.47 version but still keep getting this error:
ERROR EXECUTING COMMAND
[error 192] %1 is not a valid Win 32 application.
I am not too teck savvey with programming, C C+ etc, so am lost here as what to do next.
Apologies if all this is a bit silly, but am trying to learn as well as find out why the router is behaving this way.

Never seen or heard of that error before

Can you run this command

nmap -Pn -p443 Google.com

It may be happening as your router does not send layer 2 traffic and sends everything layer3

Hello Grimeire,
I managed to install Nmap on the PC, and have attached the resulting files you wanted(I hope), in a folder because I cannot upload the files as they are for some reason. I keep gettring an error saying "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension".
please find one google.xml report from nmap with the pc connected wirelessly to the home network and another router.xml report with the said router connected via ethernet cable but no internet. Sorry for the delay but had a few issues installing Nmap on the win xp PC. I hope I have done it correctly.

Attachments

• Nmap Files.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 3
You will have an external facing IP address (that is an IP address that actually communicates with outside world) and the IP 194.254.251.x looks like it belongs to a French (maybe an ISP) company named or related to Renater?

Any IP address you get beginning with 169.x.x.x, means you are haven't obtained an IP address automatically (normally by a protocol called DHCP). Basically, this normally means nothing will work as nothing is getting routed.

Most internal IP address begin 192.168.x.x. An internal IP address is on internal side of modem/router.

When you did ipconfig as mentioned in an earlier post (when internet seems to be working), what was gateway address as this address is generally that of your router/modem?

You will have an external facing IP address (that is an IP address that actually communicates with outside world) and the IP 194.254.251.x looks like it belongs to a French (maybe an ISP) company named or related to Renater?

Any IP address you get beginning with 169.x.x.x, means you are haven't obtained an IP address automatically (normally by a protocol called DHCP). Basically, this normally means nothing will work as nothing is getting routed.

Most internal IP address begin 192.168.x.x. An internal IP address is on internal side of modem/router.

When you did ipconfig as mentioned in an earlier post (when internet seems to be working), what was gateway address as this address is generally that of your router/modem?
Hi there,
If I don't use the linksys router and use wireless adapter, and do an ipconfig/all, everything is normal as should be. But when I disconnect the wireless adapter, enable the local connection of the ethernet connector, and connect this linksys router, then nothing. Everything on the router front panel works(ie the lights all perform and come on as they should), but no connection to the internet. but if, with the linksys router still connected, and I enable the wireless adapter, and view wireless networks, sure enough the dd-wrt network of the linksys does appear. But trying to connect to it is a different matter altogether. No such luck there. This is what makes me think that since the router seem alive, it might be a Jtag job to make it completely functional again,
What would your thought be?
Oh and the answer to your question "When you did ipconfig as mentioned in an earlier post (when internet seems to be working), what was gateway address as this address is generally that of your router/modem?", as I mentioned above, linksys not connected to PC, everything works properly. wirelessely. But disconnect the wireless adapter, connect the linksys router via ethernet,nand no Internet connection at all even the router acts normal.
Hope all this makes some sense.

It sounds like you have an ISP supplied wireless router?

If so, if you use just that and take the dd-wrt router out of the scenario completely, is everything working fine including accessing ISP supplied router configuration page?

You could use nmap and scan for it.

.... and I suspect repeating something already mentioned in the thread probably isn't going to count towards your 5 posts either. Quick, carry on before a mod sees it

As already mentioned in this thread it would appear that a reset of the router may be in order.

Look here (Reset And Reboot - DD-WRT Wiki), read it over and afterwards try to enter the router setup with a fixed IP address on your p.c., set it to 192.168.1.11.

In the distant past when I used to mess around with dd-wrt and I.E. couldn't find the routers' web login page I got around it by using another web browser to do the job, Green Browser Portable. I've just downloaded this and virus checked and tested it so should be good to go, just run the Greenbrowser.exe file within the folder. It might help in this case but remember to still use a static IP address on your p.c. of 192.168.1.11 until you can enter the routers' web admin page. If your successful then set your p.c. network back to DHCP whilst your router is switched off at the mains and it will hopefully receive a valid IP address of the router when it next boots up, whether your connected to the internet or not.

BTW, that router is shit slow by today's standards but perfectly alright to get to grips with the DD-WRT operating system and it's features.

Good luck ;)

Attachments

• GreenBrowser.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
As already mentioned in this thread it would appear that a reset of the router may be in order.

Look here (Reset And Reboot - DD-WRT Wiki), read it over and afterwards try to enter the router setup with a fixed IP address on your p.c., set it to 192.168.1.11.

In the distant past when I used to mess around with dd-wrt and I.E. couldn't find the routers' web login page I got around it by using another web browser to do the job, Green Browser Portable. I've just downloaded this and virus checked and tested it so should be good to go, just run the Greenbrowser.exe file within the folder. It might help in this case but remember to still use a static IP address on your p.c. of 192.168.1.11 until you can enter the routers' web admin page. If your successful then set your p.c. network back to DHCP whilst your router is switched off at the mains and it will hopefully receive a valid IP address of the router when it next boots up, whether your connected to the internet or not.

BTW, that router is shit slow by today's standards but perfectly alright to get to grips with the DD-WRT operating system and it's features.

Good luck ;)
Thanks Arthur Daley,
I will try this method and come back with the results as soon as I have done them. Juggling between a business and the router thing is a bit tricky, but will let you know in good time.
Once again thanks for the input and suggestions. Really appreciated.

Oh and before I forget,
A big thanks to all the other helpful experts on the forum for their helpful input. 👍👍👍

It sounds like you have an ISP supplied wireless router?

If so, if you use just that and take the dd-wrt router out of the scenario completely, is everything working fine including accessing ISP supplied router configuration page?
Oops, i forgot to mention in my post that my normal broadband provider is VM and have the Superhub. So that works just fine on the PC. It is when I try to connect this linksys router running dd-wrt (it was fine before but just kept freezing up every now and again), I get the said issues. Don't exactly know what happened to get into this mess, but as i said the router seems to be alive but just in a induced sleep sort of thing. Let's see what happens when I try the latest experiment.
Thanks a lot though.

Do you change your VM superhub into modem mode and then with dd-wrt router is easier to set to DHCP (reset mentioned by arthur should then enable DHCP by default I'd expect).

I do have a dd-wrt router somewhere I can dig out to get screenshots on how basic things should be setup but remember superhub should be set to modem mode which forces VM to use IP of a different IP subnet than that of dd-wrt. Without modem mode on VM side, it's possible both VM superhub and dd-wrt could be fighting to use same IP subnet.

Back