Lighting Experts?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for someone who knows their lighting... got a new house build going on and will be looking for some outdoor up/down decorative wall lights and some brick lights to go in the walls any suggestions?

Bump, I need 15 brick lights in silver and run on 240v mains. Any suggestions? Had a look on screwfix and they look a bit cheap.

I have similar to the brisbane but round. They are led also. Had to cut 120mm holes in the facebrick, not fitted them yet but they should look awesome. ot 13 to fit were about £25 each and i had them cheap.

i repair external lighting quite often - 240v external lights are a nightmare - the rain always gets in! - use LED or 12v lighting externally!

i repair external lighting quite often - 240v external lights are a nightmare - the rain always gets in! - use LED or 12v lighting externally!

totally agree, low voltage as 240v is a different ballgame and much higher cost, depends what your lighting needs are

Sorry to disagree here but I would go 240v all the way using proper IP rated lamps.

Most bricklights are IP 44 but the higher the better. You can get IP 65 ones and I wold only ever fit 65 or above unless I was forced to use a particular lamp. I agree water does can get in, even in IP rated units. Normally when people jetwash them down But the 12v or 240 the units will trip as you will either get a short to ground or between phase & neutral.

Plus you dont have to worry about transformers going down which they do as most people slightly overload them. Of course not everyone wants to spring to armoured cable or can actually fit it in situ so the individuals needs are what will determine.

I would also recommend GU10 fittings and then use LED or SGU10 lamps but most brick lights are Flourescents or ES. again just use low energy replacements - (flourescents are low energy).

I would avoid fittings that have inbuilt transformers. They will look nice for the next ten years or so but if one goes wrong you need to be repliant on spares or replacements of the same type or you're replacing all of them.

Of course being that they are outside you need to have a Part P sparks to install or sign off as it is notifiable work and thy must be protected by an RCD. If you go 12v and the transformer is located indoors (garage etc) then this isn't the case.

Other places to look for lights...

QVS - electrical wholesale like TLC
Toolstation - cheaper generally than Screwfix (owned by wickes)
National Lighting - good range, cheap, good quality and most of their units include lamps BUT careful they charge up to 30% re-stocking fee - so make sure if you buy from them its right.

thats what a was meaning by different ballgame "the price" armoured cable and rcd will cost more than all the other components together an has to be done proper by a qualified spark, using low voltage will be much much lower in overall price an any competent diy'er can do it themselves

Last edited:
Mine have an integral tranny and i will be dreading when one blows. No doubt i will make something up as repair as i think they are already discontinued.

I work on a lot of external lighting in heavy industry and the things i have seen would make your eyes water...lol.

50w hpl bulkheads fullk of water but still working...lol

Or the old trick for easy fault finding, replace fuse with link and look for the bang....:proud: Saves hours at 3am in the freezing cold....

Hey guys thanks for the replies, I ended up getting mains powered IP45 with energy saving bulbs in them. I think. Will have to check as ordered them good few months ago. Already got 3phase electric supply with RCDs in place.

wow just noticed the number of spelling mistakes that I had in that original post. (Must sort that Ipad autocomplete out). Good to hear you are sorted m8.

I agree that 12v is good for the DIY'er but it's my opinion that they are inferior to mains powered for the reasons stated. A lot of 12v fittings also use a push in Pin type connection and these have no locking facility on them, just friction of the holder. A GU10 has locking pins.

The last 12v system I fitted was soffit lights on my own garage - 2 lights per transformer and these were sold in 3 lamps kits. I have had 6 transformers on them - perhaps just poor quality components but they are being replaced with fire rated IP65 GU10's.

As a qualified Part P sparks I guess I'm not concerned about install costs but if you factor in the amount of trannys needed on this install then I think the costs may have been about even. When they were installed Part P was not an issue.

Back