keep an eye on windows updates!!

hoppy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the windows updates today guys as their is one listed important and its to check for validation.
It was originally supposed to go out as an optional low priority update but it looks like MS changed their minds.
A cant remember the update number as i marked it hidden but their is a clear description on the sidebar so keep your eyes peeled..

cheers mate i'll be watching for that 1!!!

On mine it was 'Update for Windows 7 for x64-based system (KB971033)

It's installed but I've blocked its internet access (to Windows Activation Tool) and no problems so far.

iv just hid the update like hoppy did, im not giving up my windows 7 just yet, lol!!!

I take it it's the one I have highlighted in blue hoppy? Cheers for the heads-up mate. :Clap:

windowsupdate.jpg

I take it it's the one I have highlighted in blue hoppy? Cheers for the heads-up mate. :Clap:

windowsupdate.jpg
sure is matey, unlucky for the people that have it on auto install, ms the bastards, lol!!!

sure is matey, unlucky for the people that have it on auto install, ms the bastards, lol!!!

Aye its amazing how people never check and just auto install updates.
A did it in ma early days and learned ma lesson when auto updates screwed up all net frame updates and it was a pain in the arse to fix..
Its amazing the amount of people this update will probably catch out and am sure techquest and little pob will be going nuts in the pc help section..:proud:

Aye its amazing how people never check and just auto install updates.
A did it in ma early days and learned ma lesson when auto updates screwed up all net frame updates and it was a pain in the arse to fix..
Its amazing the amount of people this update will probably catch out and am sure techquest and little pob will be going nuts in the pc help section..:proud:
quite right mate, i also used to have them to auto install, but at the time i was using genuine copy of vista and before that xp. surely just hiding the update isnt enough though is it, or has the law now changed where they have to inform you 1st about it or something!

AFAIK, the SLIC emulator works fine with this update, its only the WAT that is causes an issue for ?

quite right mate, i also used to have them to auto install, but at the time i was using genuine copy of vista and before that xp. surely just hiding the update isnt enough though is it, or has the law now changed where they have to inform you 1st about it or something!

Yep MS got their asses kicked by the European courts along with the browser update.
They won the battle for the genuine advantage tool although the judge did make some comments about it being unethical.
He wasn't pleased about this guilty to proven innocent attitude from MS and was critical as it called a lot of genuine copys of xp as fake.
The biggest problem was MS declaring it as a critical update for xp and not an optional update and it was agreed that any future validations must be noted as an optional update or as it looks now an important update but also if you refuse the update it doesnt stop you from receiving other windows updates.

I hope its that simple but something tells me MS will bundle something into service pack one which am gonna try and test on an old clunker when its realeased..
It just seems too good to be true.;)

Yep MS got their asses kicked by the European courts along with the browser update.
They won the battle for the genuine advantage tool although the judge did make some comments about it being unethical.
He wasn't pleased about this guilty to proven innocent attitude from MS and was critical as it called a lot of genuine copys of xp as fake.
The biggest problem was MS declaring it as a critical update for xp and not an optional update and it was agreed that any future validations must be noted as an optional update or as it looks now an important update but also if you refuse the update it doesnt stop you from receiving other windows updates.

I hope its that simple but something tells me MS will bundle something into service pack one which am gonna try and test on an old clunker when its realeased..
It just seems too good to be true.;)
yeah it definetely seems like its just far too easy to hide the update and thats it, obviously it will still catch alot of people out but the way i see it, if your bright enough to download and install a cracked copy of windows 7 or whatever and install the patch, then surely your bright enough to stop them installing the updates to fook it up, lol!!!

yeah it definetely seems like its just far too easy to hide the update and thats it, obviously it will still catch alot of people out but the way i see it, if your bright enough to download and install a cracked copy of windows 7 or whatever and install the patch, then surely your bright enough to stop them installing the updates to fook it up, lol!!!

Agreed, most people on DW will have no problem with it and oneman has already started to take it apart.lol
Its people like some of ma mates who just run their pc and are oblivious to anything like updates or looking after their pc that worry me.
Although a set them to not auto update he is the type of guy that will hit install and then phone me.

Generally I would definately prefer people set their updates to auto-update rather then not do any updates. Most of the viruses and spyware expliot know issues that have been patched. In a corporate encivironment I can understand that patches will take longer to apply but for home users there really is no excuse for critical patch to not update within a few days of a patch being released.

Of course I really suggest to people not to logon with an admin level account but that goes over most peoples head too.

Sad reality is that PC still take some amount of knowledge to configure and keep safe (yes even Macs). For the time being there is always going to be a need for army of friends, relatives and suckers like us to support all these users lol. Now I am at the stage that if you want my advise then fine, bring your checkbook with you. I can pretty much guarantee they won't be returning for the same problem twice.

Anyway enough ranting about updates.

alternatively, buy the original copy :)

come on, this is a hacking site that you are visiting. even if we were all millionaires we refuse to buy an original just on principle, hehe

Well I did get the family pack when it was available for £50.

updated the lappy today (win 7 cough version) seems ok so far ,no problem at all for me.

alternatively, buy the original copy :)

Hi
I think you will be hard pushed to get anyone in here on your side with that comment. I KNOW!!! You work for MS so they pay your wages so you need mugs to buy your badly designed software. :banana:
I bought a copy of windows once it was 95 that says it all. :proud:

Back