is my new dreambox 500c bricked? :(

Midnight Tboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there,

I posted a lil while ago asking about flashing my newly arrived dreambox 500c via the ethernet, as my null model went walkabout. I heard this could be done using Dreambox Flash Wizard 6.3 so gave it a shot, setting up manual IPs to communicate.

It seemingly started without problems, then it reached the 2nd last stage "Writing And Verifying Cranfs Memory Partition"

It counted on that up to 93%...and froze at 93% but counting numbers up the side. I left it on, those numbers reached as far as 6000, an hour later and no further forward so knew something was up so had to close it. no idea why it crashed.

Anyway, now I'm not getting anything from the box by way of the old default image....when I turn it on the light comes on green on the box but nothing comes on the screen whatsoever :(

Is this box likely fried? Or could dreamup using a null modem cable if I rush out to buy one, do the job and restore it?

sick as a chip now :(

please help,
Tuck

Happened to me. Dreamup is prone to crashing. No matter how much I flashed it stuck at 90%. Buy a null modem cable (£2 delivered from ebay, quick delivery as well!) , DreamUp, and you're sorted.

thanks,

I'm glad at least that it looks like there is a comeback for it without having to mess about with j-tags.

Just sucks that if get one from ebay, then it'd prob be delivered at the v earliest on the monday...when really could do with messing about with it now :'( I begrudge paying maplin prices tho - way extortionate...but might have to :( Unless can think of another place to get one locally in meantime

its a problem when using dreamup and going from a gemini image (default image that comes on a dm500c) to enigma (dw2.0)

or so i was told when i had exactly the same problem :(

the null modem cable will solve ur problem in about five minutes, just be patient, it'll be here in no time :)

can get one here

What I'd do - Buy one from maplin and then carefully undo the staples that hold their packets together - usually for their cheapass cables theres only 2 staples holding the packet together. Use it and rebend the staple back in place/restaple it and return it? Yes, slightly unscrupulous but you'd be using it for 10 minutes max and its not like you're keeping it...

Hi there,

I posted a lil while ago asking about flashing my newly arrived dreambox 500c via the ethernet, as my null model went walkabout. I heard this could be done using Dreambox Flash Wizard 6.3 so gave it a shot, setting up manual IPs to communicate.

It seemingly started without problems, then it reached the 2nd last stage "Writing And Verifying Cranfs Memory Partition"

It counted on that up to 93%...and froze at 93% but counting numbers up the side. I left it on, those numbers reached as far as 6000, an hour later and no further forward so knew something was up so had to close it. no idea why it crashed.

Anyway, now I'm not getting anything from the box by way of the old default image....when I turn it on the light comes on green on the box but nothing comes on the screen whatsoever :(

Is this box likely fried? Or could dreamup using a null modem cable if I rush out to buy one, do the job and restore it?

sick as a chip now :(

please help,
Tuck

without starting a seperate thread i did exactly the same.i've now got a null modem cable (which i tested and works) but the dreambox 500C will not connect using dreamup or flashwizard were-as before it did using the x-over cable.
basically i cant get it to talk to any pc / laptop and there is nothing on the TV picture wise.can someone explain what i need to do to fix it ?.

without starting a seperate thread i did exactly the same.i've now got a null modem cable (which i tested and works) but the dreambox 500C will not connect using dreamup or flashwizard were-as before it did using the x-over cable.
basically i cant get it to talk to any pc / laptop and there is nothing on the TV picture wise.can someone explain what i need to do to fix it ?.

a NULL cable will fix 99.999% of any dreambox problems (unless a more serious fault is present) check you com settings and try another version of dreamup (theres about 6 different versions lol)

cheers

osborne82

a NULL cable will fix 99.999% of any dreambox problems (unless a more serious fault is present) check you com settings and try another version of dreamup (theres about 6 different versions lol)

cheers

osborne82

hi osbourne, is there any thing in cli that will stop dreamup working? i flashed with dreamup a few weeks ago no probs ,but now it finds and tells me its a 600pvr but does nothing else. ie does not find injectable dca or wont highlight the flash option.

hi osbourne, is there any thing in cli that will stop dreamup working? i flashed with dreamup a few weeks ago no probs ,but now it finds and tells me its a 600pvr but does nothing else. ie does not find injectable dca or wont highlight the flash option.

no m8 nothing in cli that would stop dreamup from working. prob best to reboot your pc and switch dreambox off for a min or two then try again.
i have re-flashed countless times using dreamup since flashing cli-dm600 :)

cheers

osborne82

thanks osbourne.i,ve posted my settings in the first thread in the 600 section if you dont mind having a look to see if i,m doing things right m8 .

thanks for the reply guys.

yes I'd thought that very same idea myself about maplins :p Sadly I didnt get to leave work till too late and maplins would have been closed by time could have got there :( Called up a local pc shop but they just said to try maplins...grskk

so guess it's going to have to wait till tmw. At least I know it "should" be recoverable...just hope I'm not one of them 0.1%ers :)

you'll be ok, your going through exactly what me, and many others have gone through :)

yay...picking up my null modem cable shortly :D

Checked ebay with advanced search and found a store seller that is local too me. Emailed them to ask if ok to come and collect as needed it asap and said no problem

So getting a 5m spare patch cable with F connectors, and another konig 3 way splitter while at it...all for same price of a tenner for the lot. Take that maplin!! (should reserve that comment till know the cable works :p)

yay...

now happily sitting here flashing (so to speak) - forgot just how long null modems can be :D I remember in ye olde days we used to null modem transfer across copies of Doom to play via the null modem cable...took a good hour+ for what was prob about 20odd mb zzzzzzzzzz

yay - all flashed and all channels up and running (I think :))

Now I just need to play about with settings and learn best way to use it - the initial channel results in alphabetical order and EPG style are ruddy ugly straight out the box from the DW image...hopefully I'll be able to get them sorted to something more akin to VM box style. Other than that...a great box :)

Back