is it ok to pour boiling water in screen wash reservoir?

Colin

Inactive User
Reaction score
dont want to melt anything but equally wouldnt mind unblocking the ice?

well as i dont have any meths (strange for the west coast of scotland i know. lol) will boiling water do the trick?

ive poured water straight from the kettle many times,though it didnt always work,in these temps we have right now i dont think any damage would be done,up to you to risk it though !

100% screenwash only good up to -5 !! Avg temp up here about -10 at the moment

Last edited:
hmm probs not worth the hassle ill wait till april and hopefully be working again... :)

Ive been putting luke warm tap water in for a few days now and not done any damage, its taken a while to melt anything though but it does start working eventually

i bought mobil screenwash ready mixed in 1 litre bottles ,it replaces water in bottle and safe down to -15 others only go down to -5 read the label,i bought
6 litres for times like this and not frozen yet -13:proud:
boiling water will do damage to pump and bottle and pipework and will still freeze.winters like this not seen for a while but expect it next year also,even got salt in stock to keep path clear.:banana:

get hot water in be right....

I had mine mot'd yesterday and they were gonna fail it because he couldn't get any water out... thick ****er its like -10 outside for last week or so and says hes gonna have to fail it...

So i just stood there pouring water on it floor was like a pond by time I finished lol...

Used hot tap water here as well: made no difference cos once the spray started working, it froze more or less instantly on the windscreen. I usually just use a scraper before I set off (only a euro in Halfords or wherever) and it only takes a few minutes, gives the heater a chance to heat up the inside of the car.

The missus goes through wiper blades at a rate of knots, I'm covinced its cos she just tries to wipe the ice away.

Never put boiling water down it. even in a normal day as the temp in there is pretty cold and as soon as the boiling water hits that cold it will instantly crack the pipes. (try pouring really icy water into a really warm glass jug that just come out dishwasher and see it crack)

Best thing is have some quality screenwash in the first place.
Get in the car 5 mins early and run the engine on idle for about 3-4 mins then have the front heated windscreen thing on.
Works on mine everytime. max takes about 3 mins and im off.
Sometimes the bit where the water actually squirts out gets frozen but cant really do anything about that.

it will work out expensive for a lot of people not knowing what to do in this weather ,i have seen wiper motors gone,linkages gone,plenty of wiper blades torn to shreds,all for the want of a clean roof of snow so it does not land on wiper blades when you brake,get some additive for washer because if and when it freezes your blind and a fatal result may happen.
using a good screenwash that gives protection -15 would be a good start for safer motoring

Last edited:
i doubt boiling water will doany harm at all, the melt temp of plastic and rubber is over 200 deg c. not sure you'de manage to thaw it out further than the bottle tho

i doubt boiling water will doany harm at all, the melt temp of plastic and rubber is over 200 deg c. not sure you'de manage to thaw it out further than the bottle tho

Thats a gentle rise in temp.

A sudden rise in temp will cause uneven material expenditure. Any material to expand and crack.

On another note, you can buy spray de-icer for for a pound from the pound shop and it works great. Very good for locks and the windscren squirt holes.

I have found most off the shelf screenwash even in concentrate form noit suitable for anything below -5. Halfords concentrated screenwash is too thick and can leave a sticky residue and block up your nozzles.

I have some screenwash in neat form in the garage and there are ice crystals in it. Those will give the appearance of frozen wash water. The meths lowers the freezing point of the water due to it being 97% ethanol and 3% Methanol, so in essence pure alcohol.

I have heated washer jets, and even those have frozen recently to which is the reason to why I went to meths.

Back