is it ok to pour boiling water in screen wash reservoir?

I have found most off the shelf screenwash even in concentrate form noit suitable for anything below -5. Halfords concentrated screenwash is too thick and can leave a sticky residue and block up your nozzles.

I have some screenwash in neat form in the garage and there are ice crystals in it. Those will give the appearance of frozen wash water. The meths lowers the freezing point of the water due to it being 97% ethanol and 3% Methanol, so in essence pure alcohol.

I have heated washer jets, and even those have frozen recently to which is the reason to why I went to meths.

does nail polish remover work? lol (think thats pure ethanol

dont think i can get meth anywhere here.

hope its not a merc,those jets get overheated and melt lol

Most people will find the problem is freezing not in the reservoir but in the pipes and in the nozzle. I don't think putting hot water in the reservoir is going to help much. As several people have mentioned, use screenwash neat and let the car warm up.

I have found the only way to keep your windscreen clear in this extreme weather is to go to your local garden centre and buy one of the small hand sprayers ment for misting plants.
Fill it with a mix of water and screen wash.
Adjust the nozzle so it squirts instead of sprays and either squirt it out the window (when you have stopped at lights etc) onto the windscreen or stop every so often and give it a quick spray.
I know it is not a perfect solution but it is still a lot safer than not being able to see out at all

Ps remember to take it inside when you park the car or you will have 2 frozen water bottles lol

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...418742&c_1=1|category_root|Gardening|16849255

1 from Homebase here

Last edited:
I have found the only way to keep your windscreen clear in this extreme weather is to go to your local garden centre and buy one of the small hand sprayers ment for misting plants.
Fill it with a mix of water and screen wash.
Adjust the nozzle so it squirts instead of sprays and either squirt it out the window (when you have stopped at lights etc) onto the windscreen or stop every so often and give it a quick spray.
I know it is not a perfect solution but it is still a lot safer than not being able to see out at all

Ps remember to take it inside when you park the car or you will have 2 frozen water bottles lol

Trigger Sprayer - 1 Pint from Homebase.co.uk

1 from Homebase here

LOL ! A plan I suppose !

or you could get a car that has heated front/back screens with heated mirrors and Washer Jets :p Most fords have this lol

Or adapt a pair of heated washer jets to fit your car and come on with something lol

i put boiling water in resevoir and over the jets.. and left for 20 mins...
squirted it all out ( till it stops) then more hot water...i did it 5 times before my washers was completley empty...then filled it with pure concentrate screen wash ...worked for me , i did it on mine and the wifes car with no probs !

i dont know why people still drive around with just water in bottle,remember to read label of protection level as -5 is of no use,get to know where your local motor factor is,plenty of links on previous posts,cheaper than crashing your car,same goes with de icer read the label.:proud:

or when you do pour the screen wash in mix it with some antifreeze mines has not frozen as of yet.

liquids are made for there own purpose,if you put petrol in a diesel:grab:use only products that are made for it,the whole idea of screenwash is to stop it freezing and let you see out the window,antifreeze will leave a rainbow on glass and do other damage.also dont use washing up liquid either.

Back