IPTV - is it legal or illegal ?

Also i would think each country might have its own pricing structure as some of the poorer countries won't be able to afford it.

So in a few years time we will all have some vpn/proxy saying we all live in that country.

Copyright infringement is illegal. It's just that it's a civil matter, rather than criminal (in the UK at least). The simplest explanation is it's the copyright holder taking you to court, rather than the Crown. Best UK example of this that I can think of is the annual subscription to the BBC, I mean licence fee. It is the BBC and their agents (TV Licensing/Capita) who'd take you to court for non-payment, not the police or CPS.

Breach of contract, e.g. behaviour that invalidates the agreed T&Cs, is also a civil matter - but rarely illegal.

In the case of IPTV and the use of a VPN, proxy or DNS 'hack' to get around geolocking or other system will be against the terms and conditions, but I'm not sure if it will be a violation of copyright?

like that u could argue cardshare is breaking the T&C or copyright

but people still get done via the crown + police

e.g. starview team??

Re sharing a iptv stream would fall in the same boat as card share?

Re sharing a iptv stream would fall in the same boat as card share?
I know it's a bit of a cop out answer, but it depends...

You're not going to get into trouble using Plex to rebroadcast youtube to a Roku puck. But it'd pointless to set up a cardshare-style rebroadcast server a multichannel feed such as LoveFilm Instant, as you only get so many simultaneous streams (I think Netflix has the most with 4 on it's £8.99p/m package).

The worst that will happen for giving your mate your log in for Now TV etc is your account gets suspended. However, rebroadcasting a simulcast such as an EPL stream, from one of the foreign IPTV streams, is likely to be dealt with as harshly as the cardshare server hosts that get caught.

That clears it up

So it's a bit of a grey area when it comes to simulcast streams and reshare

Copyright infringement is illegal. It's just that it's a civil matter, rather than criminal (in the UK at least). The simplest explanation is it's the copyright holder taking you to court, rather than the Crown. Best UK example of this that I can think of is the annual subscription to the BBC, I mean licence fee. It is the BBC and their agents (TV Licensing/Capita) who'd take you to court for non-payment, not the police or CPS.

Breach of contract, e.g. behaviour that invalidates the agreed T&Cs, is also a civil matter - but rarely illegal.

In the case of IPTV and the use of a VPN, proxy or DNS 'hack' to get around geolocking or other system will be against the terms and conditions, but I'm not sure if it will be a violation of copyright?

Breach of contract that's the problem it a civil matter and if you do not have a TV licence you have no contract with the BBC, maybe you don't want one, and remember its civil so they have no power to question you or enter your property, the same must be for IPTV

Breach of contract that's the problem it a civil matter and if you do not have a TV licence you have no contract with the BBC, maybe you don't want one, and remember its civil so they have no power to question you or enter your property, the same must be for IPTV
Going back and reading more into it, my use of the BBC was a poor example.

Under the Communications Act 2003, you're "required" to have a television licence to watch or record TV as it's broadcast. As an act, it is statute law - that the BBC is made to police the system itself doesn't alter this.
But is C/S illegal? or do you just breach terms and conditions?
If you are running a CS server you are defrauding the provider of the system you are rebroadcasting. This makes it a criminal act.

Now you could argue that sharing any copyrighted work (e.g. torrents) is, technically, defrauding the copyright owner. However, unless you are prolific uploader or are charging for the service, they tend to follow the civil settlement route.

There is an interesting discussion (ok slagging match) going on on DS forum (Astra 2E thread) between an IP provider and satellite enthusiasts. The IP provider (who is re-selling UK FTA to expat residents in Spain & the canaries) reckons what he's doing is perfectly legal as he's routing it via Switzerland where the laws are different. Funnily enough, no one agrees with him.

Would it be a DRM issue ie the iptv company will have bought the rights to show the broadcasted material in their country/territories but not in the uk etc, it could be argued that the iptv provider isn't doing enough to prevent unauthorised viewing outside of the agreed geographic borders, and technically the owners of the content could take a case against the iptv provider?? Just my thoughts of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Would it be a DRM issue ie the iptv company will have bought the rights to show the broadcasted material in their country/territories but not in the uk etc, it could be argued that the iptv provider isn't doing enough to prevent unauthorised viewing outside of the agreed geographic borders, and technically the owners of the content could take a case against the iptv provider?? Just my thoughts of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Was reading link below regarding iptv

Will 2014 be the Year of IPTV Streaming Piracy? | Rapid TV News

Back