IPTV - is it legal or illegal ?

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought others would want to know if it was actually legal to watch another countries streams using a VPN or Proxies etc.

I mean let's say you pay a subscription to an aussie provider (legit) but you change your DNS to zone you in another country to watch say premier league games at 3pm.

I know that its a little lets say sneaky lol, but are you breaking any laws ?

Also I am not saying about watching illegal streams... as that would obviously be illegal lol.

Mick

dont see them allowing if you move country

legal/illegal

could probably argue the point

a biggy in future for sure

Why not all IPTV is legal according to the European court of Justice. Those providing services, must have permissions. Some services offered locally, do fall into this category.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

minefield i think

if its free, fun and lets you watch from anywhere then its gonna be illegal if not now very soon. you know what our governments like lol

not exactly free

no doubt its the way viewing will go

no doubt powers that be will try stop it

money money money

we pay we should be able to decide on what platform that suits us lol

ohh well i can dream

Last edited:
I suppose the argument given will be that the programme is only legal in the region for which it is sold.

I suppose the argument given will be that the programme is only legal in the region for which it is sold.

I agree...

But who Governs that?

Australlia/UK (as in my example) or someone else lol.

Mick

As per your example, if it is a paid for stream where is the illegality ?
You have paid for the stream and so the originator of the material streamed has had their fee.

I agree again mate, I just have a feeling its not so straight cut as that ;)

I find it quite interesting because on one hand you are paying for a service, on the other you are not in that country viewing it.

So it kind of becomes an international problem lol...

Let's say you did this (watch EPL TV in the UK via Australia), could the owners of the EPL rights chase you, or would the service provider in another country have to do the chasing or account terminating, but how would they know if you are on a VPN...

Mick

when pay tv platforms end up unsharable / unbreakable publically iptv will really pick up and then the broadcasters will turn their attentions to it and new laws will convieniently pass or dodgy courtrooms will rule in favour of the prem league / sly etc and new technology will appear to stop us using online services designed for other countries, you can just see it now cant you lol :)

i guess the simple way to figure is if you need to use a vpn/proxy it will be deemed as illegal

example New Zealand sub stays there not viewed in UK

But within Europe, say, the minefield still exists because of so called free trade.

There's also some confusion in all this between illegality, breach of copyright and breach of contract. All slightly different things in law. And like has been said already- which country's law takes precedence? :what:

will always be a minefield no matter lol

Copyright infringement is illegal. It's just that it's a civil matter, rather than criminal (in the UK at least). The simplest explanation is it's the copyright holder taking you to court, rather than the Crown. Best UK example of this that I can think of is the annual subscription to the BBC, I mean licence fee. It is the BBC and their agents (TV Licensing/Capita) who'd take you to court for non-payment, not the police or CPS.

Breach of contract, e.g. behaviour that invalidates the agreed T&Cs, is also a civil matter - but rarely illegal.

In the case of IPTV and the use of a VPN, proxy or DNS 'hack' to get around geolocking or other system will be against the terms and conditions, but I'm not sure if it will be a violation of copyright?

@little_pob

Good information mate, seems like so many ways you could object though, I bet this is more of a headache for the powers be than the end user lol.

Mick

Last edited:
end of the day us mortals that may subscribe to it

wont have a say in it the powers that be will decide the way

no doubt they will be falling over them selves making an arse of it

I have been installing satellites for years, and i said to my mate 2 years ago when i put up new antenna's around Manchester for 3g-4g that dishes will be a thing of the past the way broadband is going , With the premier rights going to continents not reachable by dishes in the UK, Hence that's why we will need to go down the IPTV road, Sly will not dominate much longer in my opinion, when IPTV on demand is rolled out at much cheaper rates.

Until this country has a Full 100% Fibre network and i dont mean the fibre that's available now as FTTC i am talking about 'To the Home' where we would see speed increases of around up to 1TB, then IPTV will not take off there are still 1000's of people who have a dial up connection in rural areas as well as Millions who have just about an average of around 4mb. It's just not enough to sustain a common house hold that have at least 4-5 wireless internet capable devices the current speeds are just not enough.

Even BT's new so called Extra TV channels with Eurosport and SYFY etc.. are only available to Infinty customers which just goes to show to run something smoothly 40mb at least is needed.

We are Years behind in Infrastructure here take a look at japan they have 2GB Fibre on average compared to our measly 2mb Garbage.

IMHO IPTV is years away yet.

The infrastructure of laying a fibre network is a huge cost to the companies. They need big Government incentives for them to even consider it. And the Government have bigger priorities to invest in by the looks of things.

Japan's Government gave incentives to all the companies, I think back in the early/mid 2000's (could be wrong) and look where they are now. I remember seeing on BBC's 'Click' programme back then they were getting 10Mb when we were probably getting in the Kb/1Mb region!! Britain, like the rail networks, etc, will lag behind, as investment in infrastructure was sluggish in both internet connection/rail/etc when times were better.

Any chance of that accelerating any time soon is bleak :(

Back