IPTV box for dummies

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were to get an IPTV receiver for someone what OS would you get and why.

I am leaning towards Engima2 as it seems to be the most user friendly but would be interested to hear what others thought.

If you were to get an IPTV receiver for someone what OS would you get and why.

I am leaning towards Engima2 as it seems to be the most user friendly but would be interested to hear what others thought.
Firestick 4K or Q-Box Plus Quad Core 4GB+32GB Android 8.1 or a Zgemma I55 IPTV for the Engima2

you would go with android over E2 so i take it.

my concerns about android is that a lot can go wrong with, the remotes with them are usaully crap and they would not be as easy to use as a E2 device. I know there is a bit more of configuration initially on the E2 device but after that it pretty much plain sailing.

another thing with e2 is if there is anything wrong with them i can just get them to run openVpn that will connect the box to my network so i can fix it.

you would go with android over E2 so i take it.

my concerns about android is that a lot can go wrong with, the remotes with them are usaully crap and they would not be as easy to use as a E2 device. I know there is a bit more of configuration initially on the E2 device but after that it pretty much plain sailing.

another thing with e2 is if there is anything wrong with them i can just get them to run openVpn that will connect the box to my network so i can fix it.
zgemma i55 is a very good box m8 or a msg box

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Another think to take in consideration is 4K box. Most providers now offer 4K contant and if your wanting that some boxes do not offer it.
Personally i have 2 zgemma i55 that can not stream 4K and i also run providers app on android TV that allows 4K without STB.

Last edited:
I would go for a formuler Z8, android box with its own IPTV app which is the best I have used
100 % agree. Especially after watching that prat t trying to set up the zgemma lol. The z8 is almost plug in and play :).

100 % agree. Especially after watching that prat t trying to set up the zgemma lol. The z8 is almost plug in and play :).

@IANB are they that good then? I use smart iptv app on my tv's which is great, but not all tv's have it. What's the 4k output like?

Its a great box mate far better than smart iptv I haven't tried 4k as my provider doesn't stream 4k yet

I dont have 4k so cannot comment on that, what is great is the catchup just scroll backwards on the EPG and click on a show you want.

Fire stick is worth a mention , especially with voice control, so easy to side load the many apk's available. plus if you wait whilst they are on offer you can get them for very cheap, use camelcamelcamel to track the price.

With the 4K thing.... my provider is now up to 110 4K movies. I am slightly disappointed with it.
Yes its much better than 1080p, just like when vemin show live footie in 4K its just not what its cracked up to be!!!

Its not an issue with TV as when i watch 4K videos on you-tube the picture blows you away.
Yet to find that on:
*IP*V
*Vermin
*netflix
Does not entertain me.

Funny enough best picture i come across that offers 4K is free.
LOL

For easiest setup is having smartTV, download smarters app then away you go, great layout and easy to use.

i would stay away from e2 to be honest. likewise for mag box. firesticks are good if on a budget but a good android box is the way forward, sepecially when you add a bluetooth keypad instead of the pissy remote

i would stay away from e2 to be honest. likewise for mag box. firesticks are good if on a budget but a good android box is the way forward, sepecially when you add a bluetooth keypad instead of the pissy remote
Why do you suggest to stay away from E2 mate?
I understand with magboxes after “that” last issue.

But if anything an open source STB thats coded on python surly is best advise in my opinion if setup correctly.
If anything a nasty cigarette lighter thats called a “firestick” that those above have the rights to is poor option?

Why not enigma2?

Why do you suggest to stay away from E2 mate?
I understand with magboxes after “that” last issue.

But if anything an open source STB thats coded on python surly is best advise in my opinion if setup correctly.
If anything a nasty cigarette lighter thats called a “firestick” that those above have the rights to is poor option?

Why not enigma2?
Think it was just a post towards a download mate...funny how they come to share there knowledge but the posts stop at 5 🤔.

But anyway i wouldnt use anything else but E2 for iptv on my tv...you dont have to mess about with apps...once its installed you just flick through the boquets as normal and the EPG works much better with EPG importer.

Whats the difference between a box and having smart iptv on the tv with a subscription, i get all sky , F1 tv and loads more, upto now it a good service. What does a box give me that i don't already get. Can the box record o. timers etc.
I know its probably a daft question but its me asking lol.

Whats the difference between a box and having smart iptv on the tv with a subscription, i get all sky , F1 tv and loads more, upto now it a good service. What does a box give me that i don't already get. Can the box record o. timers etc.
I know its probably a daft question but its me asking lol.
Sly have been going after apps that allow access IP*V, does not really matter if you lose the app as you can just move your username/password over to another app/box. SmartIP*V app was the first when some TV manufactures removed it from TVs.
Even recently OpenATV on enigma2 boxes have been experiencing issues with CAM feeds being removed, yet again not an issue as you can just FTP it in rather then using feeds. Most if not all i know that have E2 boxes run it on cable, that means they run vermin along with IP*V in bouquets. It really is the best option if your in vermin area. I am assuming your using “smartIP*V” app on TV? It really is an old app nowadays and much better out there, if supplier is affected with EPL blocks you may be looking at a black screen on saturday and sundays unless you run a VPN. That can be a problem with apps built into TVs. Unlike android boxes and enigma2 you can run a VPN within boxes and never experience blocks.
With enigma2 you can record live TV, it does require two lines. That gives you better protection from blocks as you can use two different suppliers via “jedi plugin”. If one gets blocked you can use the other. That is how recording on IP*V works, when you record, you use one supplier then hop over to your other supplier while other is recording. The is after you HDD is formatted to EXT4 and mounted. Enigma2 is much faster than most android boxes but little bit tricky to setup if not used before. Only issue i have with enigma2 is a slight freeze when channel selecting.
Apart from that they are great boxes. Not many devices allow you to do what i mentioned and i have not mentioned skins.
If it looks like this and does all that i mentioned some will understand why firesticks are crap.
🙂

You can run a vpn direct on the router, or even setup openVPN on a PI and hang that off the router, then give your TV a static IP, and route all the traffic for that IP via the VPN. Always ways around stuff.

Personally I use smartiptv for the convenience. I dont have to have a box, additional remote. I find having a box people ask questions about what it's for and why I have it. But that's just my personal preference, boxes are perhaps more for those with the knowledge to set them up and configure them, whereas with smartiptv everything can be done remotely.

Back