IP keeps changing on router, lose remote access

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend has an older 104G Hikvision CCTV 3 camera's set up but since moving from Virgin to BT his IP address keeps rolling so his app on his phone keeps going off till he changes the IP address. I have the same box but I have the IVMS-4500 app set to my IP/domain on my phone. Because I'm with Virgin my IP has only changed twice in the past 11 years so I've never no need to meddle with it.
I'm not sure if I've asked before but I cant see anything. How do I set his up so if his IP rolls his camera's will stay on his phone while out ?

Do you have to pay for a no-ip dns service ? and I think you have to move to business account to get a static IP with BT

no-ip dns is free if you update once ever 30 days
free service will not have auto update so if ip changes you still need to change manually

I spent an hour at home and eventually a few YouTube's later got it running for him using the Hik-Connect app and his QR code, thanks
I used this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i dont see how this will update the external ip address needed to view dvr if external ip address changes
also was it his internal or external ip address that was changing ?

It's a pier to pier system, the QR code must have the boxes serial number. You add the Verification code to the dvr.

I've told him to make a note of his current IP and reboot the modem as he reckons it changes changes everytime he reboots. I told him to try his phone with WiFi off. This way he'll know for sure if its working.

if its the internal ip address that is changing just reserve that in the router settings

Hikvision connect works well if you have a device that accepts it. I don’t know for sure but it seems to be just like a ddns account where the dvr polls to the hikvision servers and the app gets redirected.

For anyone who doesn’t have the option of Hikvision connect:

No-ip is a good free ddns provider if you digit mind doing a captcha every month.

A good alternative is to buy a qnap nas drive. They come with a free ddns.

if its the internal ip address that is changing just reserve that in the router settings
His internal IP shouldn't change, unless he's rebooting the devices, as it would then need to apply back to the DHCP for another internal IP. It has to be the external IP that is changing.

Yes you need to pay for a static IP iirc, they're not free. But as others have said you can use DNS instead, and connect via that, another option would be to buy a domain, and have a static IP via that.

the internal could change if the router is rebooted as the dhcp will just give the addresses in order that devices request them

A friend has an older 104G Hikvision CCTV 3 camera's set up but since moving from Virgin to BT his IP address keeps rolling so his app on his phone keeps going off till he changes the IP address. I have the same box but I have the IVMS-4500 app set to my IP/domain on my phone. Because I'm with Virgin my IP has only changed twice in the past 11 years so I've never no need to meddle with it.
I'm not sure if I've asked before but I cant see anything. How do I set his up so if his IP rolls his camera's will stay on his phone while out ?
You will need a DNS account No-ip do free ones, then put that info into your NVR/DVR or router, guide your traffic usint the portfowarding you have been but instead of using the external IP address use the new DNS name you created, I am a CCTV installer so can assist more if required

the internal could change if the router is rebooted as the dhcp will just give the addresses in order that devices request them

Yes of course, rebooting the router would also cause the re-ip as the DHCP lease will have been relenquished. Obviously, you could assign static IPs to devices, and that would resolve the internal issue, but not the external one.

You will need a DNS account No-ip do free ones, then put that info into your NVR/DVR or router, guide your traffic usint the portfowarding you have been but instead of using the external IP address use the new DNS name you created, I am a CCTV installer so can assist more if required
Does the scanning of the QR code on the box and setting up a hik connect account work ?. He said it worked last night while out on WAP. He never entered any IP's only the QR and the verification code he made on the DVR

Qr code
Dvr serial number
I think it can work through ip also, can’t remember. I use iVMS-4500 now and a ddns as my new dvr didn’t support hik connect.

For your friend's setup with the Hikvision CCTV, one solution could be to set up a Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service. This way, instead of accessing the cameras by IP, you'd use a domain name that always points to the current IP. Most routers have DDNS settings where you can link a domain name to the router's IP.

For your friend's setup with the Hikvision CCTV, one solution could be to set up a Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service. This way, instead of accessing the cameras by IP, you'd use a domain name that always points to the current IP. Most routers have DDNS settings where you can link a domain name to the router's IP.

First things first ...

“ Your mission should you choose to accept it…"

Check that the external IP address is a public address, seems it is because you mention he can connect but loses connection until he can put the IP address in.

It appears that the Service Provider is using a pool of IP addresses that are allocated as and when. If you log into the router itself it should tell you when the lease on the address will expire.

Simplest thing is to speak with BT and see if they can allocate you a static IP address. They may charge an additional amount for this or you may need to go to a business line to avoid it being changed frequently.

If you want to continue with the leased address, highly recommend a service such a dyndns.org

You can add the details to the router. Every time the router changes address the dyndns entry will be updated, so for example if your friend created an account called myrouter, the fully qualified name will be myrouter.dydns.org and this is the name you should type in the app to connect back to the cameras.Like a phone book entry the name will refer to the IP address/numbers. Every time the contact changes number it will be updated for the contact.

If the cameras connect to the manufacturers site/servers acting like a proxy (the glue) between the app and the camera this is a HUGE RISK (no shouting just going with caps to bring it to your attention):

** RESPECTFULLY BE WARNED, here be dragons!

One would personally regard as a security risk! They have access to your cameras and what can be seen/viewed.The hik-connect app appears a very dodgy thing to do. It is using/relying on the manufacturer/suppliers website to be the intermediary or handing over a connection between the home device and the client (mobile phone) some how, if that is even possible?! Either way personally would not trust it!

Basic steps, info is available in public domain.

1. set up dyndns or another free dns service
2. there should be a drop down option on the Hik DVR to use your router and not "hik-connect"
3. in the router settings you will need to place your hik dvr in a DMZ zone or allow port forwarding.

From my understanding a number of ports can be used but likely streamed on port 80 or 8080

Quick search on Google reveals:
What ports are open for Hikvision camera?

Here are the ports which are most commonly used for Hikvision port forwarding:
  • TCP port: 80, 8000, 554, 443, 10554, 9010, 9020.
  • UDP port: 62000-65000, 8000.
Another search tells me most common ports are:
What ports do I need to forward for Hikvision? The most common ports used by Hikvision are 80, 8000, 554/10554, etc. Other ports might also be used depending on the applications and services on your network.

So just a case of figuring out which ports the stream and functions is accessed through. As part of the security make sure you have authentication credentials in place. You don't want any "Joe Bloggs/Andy Smith" to access the video stream for sh*ts and giggles! Ideally something like SSH should be used or strong web credentials, in theory the box should have this without you needing to put your own solution together. The box along with the app may allow this to be automated through use of a QR code that it can generate! If not, its going be a manual jobby!

Hope it helps! No more than another hour of your time even with research, issues/difficulties you may run in to!

."..As always, should you or any of your 'Hik DVR' Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape/disc will self-destruct in five/ten seconds. Good luck, Silverdale

'X'
The OP posted this over two years ago. Logically you would think they may have resolved their issue.

You can try checking the router's settings for DDNS options. If it's not there, you might need to use a third-party DDNS service and configure it on the router.
Also, you might want to check out the Airtel router IP address settings. Sometimes, different routers have different configurations, so it's worth exploring to see if there's a solution that fits your friend's setup.

Back