Intermittent S10 signal issue

moggy

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a sly minidish with a standard quad lnb, and its hooked up to my openbox s10 in my room and a sly digibox (not Sly+ or HD+) in the other room.

When they are both switched on I seem to get intermittent interference on both boxes like they are clashing with each other.

The sly digibox gets a random intermittent "no satellite signal is being received, pls unplug the box and plug back in, in 5 minutes blah blah" even though in the system menu the signal strength and quality are good and its locked......
and the openbox gets blocky pictures and glitches in sound even though the signal quality and strength are always good.
Some days though I get no issues at all with either box, wierd!!

I read that this is a common error with openboxes so I bought an inline slope amplifier but on the openbox the signal was up and down like crazy.
I tried it on the sly box and it seemed to have no effect on the signal strengths but made the no signal error more frequent.

I have a spare lnb feed in my room from the old sly+ not doing anything, is this any use to plug into the loop out on the s10 or will this damage the unit?
(I have tried this spare lnb in my s10 and get the same results as before).

Is there anything else I can try peeps? I'm like shakin stevens up a ladder so I'd have to get somebody in to look at it if I need a new LNB etc etc..

Thanks for any help

hey all, thanks for looking, I've been messin round with the box all day and I altered the LNB Frequency in the antenna setup menu from universal 9750-10600 to just about any other setting in trial and error.
I changed it to just 10600 and turned the 22k setting to on and I thought I'd cracked it. The picture was perfect, the other slybox was working flawlessly and I had various channels on all day testing them. But then I noticed a few channels with "No Signal" on. BBC1, 2, ITV, CH4, Film 4, ESPN Classic, Lots of the kids channels. It seems that its not getting a signal on various transponders and when i rescanned for channels, it only got about 520 when normally its about 920 in total for tv and radio.

so would it be worth buying a new quad lnb and is there anything i can do with the loop out?
I read somewhere you can use the loop out from a turned off sly+ box to feed the openbox, is this possible?

thanks again

I would check the thermistor on the tuner board,it looks like a yellow capacitor but is labeled F1(thanks to Pixl on a U.S.forum)bad ones have a code M60 065 and peter out when hot, that cuts power to the lnb.It limits the current to the lnb or motor/lnb and defective ones cut off at way too low a current.

I never checked the tuner board because its still under warranty and it worked ok for 2 months.

Now its playing up again, the sly box works fine, but as soon as I turn on the openbox, it makes the sly box say no signal on certain channels.
The openbox works faultlessly on every channel.

I've tried a 3db splitter, a 6db forward attenuator and an inline sloping amp but all give no improvements.
I can't change the lnb because I'm useless up ladders and have no balance, I'd end up in Holby City!

Is there anything else I can try before I give up on the openbox or get another lnb/dish? The fix advertised on fleabay is just an inline amp in disguise isn't it? and also would that diode trick with the tobacco tin do anything for me?

thanks for any help guys

Back