installing governments NHS app

its not to find you as such its to let you know to self isolate for 14 days. from what i understand you wont even need a sim

I think the whole point is so they can find you if you may have been in contact with an infected person mate.. Using a burner phone would defeat the object somewhat. ;)

As long as the phone is smart and you can install the app on it, you could carry it about with you with a PAYG sim in it and it would do the job, then when its all over get rid of the phone.

However I do think that this is all over the top, just install the app, so that we can start to get back to normal life at some point, but I don't think it will be that soon.

its not to find you as such its to let you know to self isolate for 14 days. from what i understand you wont even need a sim
It's called track and Trace though isn't it? You could be right which would show there is quite a bit of anonymity.

Not that im going to install the app.
But how can android and IOS work hand in hand?
I use iPhones and bluetooth is different to androids bluetooth.
Also as mentioned whats to stop someone pretending to have virus and run about a shopping store then there phone tells other phones you have been in contact with someone that has it, and in reality they were not?

There is another potential problem that was highlighted on a news program last Sunday.

This App does not alert you straight away, it collects data then alerts you at a certain time that you have been in close contact with somebody with symptons, what it doesnt tell you is who, where or when.
So for instance you could of been out all day and not made close contact with anybody that has had symptons, go home then your bluetooth picks up your neighbours BT and they could of had symptons, this then tells you that at some point in the day you have been near somebody, but because there is a wall between you them you havnt been at risk, and could then self isolate for 2 weeks unnecessarily

Not that im going to install the app.
But how can android and IOS work hand in hand?
I use iPhones and bluetooth is different to androids bluetooth.
Also as mentioned whats to stop someone pretending to have virus and run about a shopping store then there phone tells other phones you have been in contact with someone that has it, and in reality they were not?
Nothing to stop a person without the app shouting they have the virus in a supermarket either. Anything is open to abuse.There is no difference between ios and android bluetooth apart from file sharing permissions which have no affect on the app.

As @janobi said “mass surveillance” comes to mind. Unfortunately uninstalling any app/programme does not remove malware or other spying tools.
The government always wanted mass surveillance on its citizens, this to me is an easy way to do it. I cant trust the government and in return cant trust the app, especially when the National Cyber Security Centre developed it.

Im not sure they did @river4ever it's already been dissected by cyber security experts who have deemed it massively unsafe. It it was written by NCSC, i'd expect it to be pretty secure.

Im not sure they did @river4ever it's already been dissected by cyber security experts who have deemed it massively unsafe. It it was written by NCSC, i'd expect it to be pretty secure.
Yes mate thats what i said. It was developed by the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)
That is what concerns me more..... the ones that developed it, they work in cahoots with GCHQ and NSA.
There primary object is carry out surveillance on people, while they say its for terrorists it has been proven they use it for other reasons.
For me this app is backdoor trojan to fool everyone into running it for goal of mass surveillance.
Serious thought is needed if your considering installing it. Most i know wont go near it.
Remember it was not long ago the NSA were looking through peoples webcams. Funny enough one of worlds most wanted men in the world is “NOT” a terrorist...... he is a former NSA worker in hiding after telling the world what the USA government was doing, and what the government was doing was spying on “everyone”.
This app is a god send for them, and outright dangerous.
(STAY AWAY FROM IT)

This fella here has more brain cells than any of us will ever know off.
Edward snowden is one of most wanted men in the world.
He designed the PRSIM program for NSA.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone that trusts the government is ignorant to reality, those running this app are ignorant to reality.
I just wish this app would never be released, for those that install it you cant be sure what government will be gathering on you.
That 10 minute video is from one of the most gifted programmers in the world that worked for NSA.
DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING FROM THE GOVERNMENT, ESPECIALLY THIS APP.

Last edited:
Why do you wish the app doesn't get released? What possible effect can it have on you seeing as you're too wise to install it?
I am on day 50 of isolation. When the lockdown is dropped I and shitloads of others will still be shielding until either a vaccine or treatment is drastically improved.
I welcome anything that can possibly rid us of this disease. Fair enough you don't want to install it because you're so worried that the whole World is trying to gather data on you. Hopefully enough sensible people will install it to make it effective and do their part to get the UK back to normal. You can just sit back and let others do it for you, no danger to you.

i already just assumed they could access everything on me phone if they wanted to without installing any app from them. i dont know enough about this stuff to make my mind up. so thats why i always just had that view about it.

Why do you wish the app doesn't get released? What possible effect can it have on you seeing as you're too wise to install it?
I am on day 50 of isolation. When the lockdown is dropped I and shitloads of others will still be shielding until either a vaccine or treatment is drastically improved.
I welcome anything that can possibly rid us of this disease. Fair enough you don't want to install it because you're so worried that the whole World is trying to gather data on you. Hopefully enough sensible people will install it to make it effective and do their part to get the UK back to normal. You can just sit back and let others do it for you, no danger to you.
This app is doomed before it gets officially released. I am taking this serious with coronavirus, im doing my bit and staying in as much as i can and hoping we can get back to where we were. I am not comfortable with an app that has been programmed by National Cyber Security Centre and being asked by the government to install it. Its called “mass surveillance”.

You asked “What possible effect can it have on you seeing as you're too wise to install it?”
Im to wise to give away my privacy is simple answer, especially to the government that keeps an eye on everyone now.
This app will just make easier than it already is to further there goal as its installed directly “onto the phone”.

One other issue is that there's enough dumb people to download the app and think they will be immune.

This app is doomed before it gets officially released. I am taking this serious with coronavirus, im doing my bit and staying in as much as i can and hoping we can get back to where we were. I am not comfortable with an app that has been programmed by National Cyber Security Centre and being asked by the government to install it. Its called “mass surveillance”.

You asked “What possible effect can it have on you seeing as you're too wise to install it?”
Im to wise to give away my privacy is simple answer, especially to the government that keeps an eye on everyone now.
This app will just make easier than it already is to further there goal as its installed directly “onto the phone”.
Don't install it then, job done. But why hope it doesn't get released when it can have no effect on you? Why post this "DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING FROM THE GOVERNMENT, ESPECIALLY THIS APP." when you have absolutely no evidence.
I'm quite relieved that you live in N.I and your views on this app can't have any effect on me :p

Just wish when starting thread i should of run few tags on it.
One tag would of been “government spying app”.

This fella here has more brain cells than any of us will ever know off.
Edward snowden is one of most wanted men in the world.
He designed the PRSIM program for NSA.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone that trusts the government is ignorant to reality, those running this app are ignorant to reality.
I just wish this app would never be released, for those that install it you cant be sure what government will be gathering on you.
That 10 minute video is from one of the most gifted programmers in the world that worked for NSA.
DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING FROM THE GOVERNMENT, ESPECIALLY THIS APP.

i watched a snowden interview where he said when he buys a phone before its used he opens it up and removes the mic and camera. so its not llistening or watching when he isnt using it. i know they have reason to target his phone but he wouldnt install any shite he was suspicious of would he? yet he still does that. it probably even advanced further than he even knows. they can probably do as they want on the net

i watched a snowden interview where he said when he buys a phone before its used he opens it up and removes the mic and camera. so its not llistening or watching when he isnt using it. i know they have reason to target his phone but he wouldnt install any shite he was suspicious of would he? yet he still does that. it probably even advanced further than he even knows. they can probably do as they want on the net
GCHQ
NCSC
NSA

Theres a pattern there, there all intelligence agencies that work together.
NCSC developed the app.

stay away from the app

nah i don't plan to. theres already a lot of crap on it when i got it that i can't get rid of. lets hope its not gonna become of one those apps pre loaded on to the device when you get it, like the facebook and microsoft rubbish thats never been used but can't remove.

if it does turn out to be useful or is doing a good job i have another even more rubbish phone ill dust off just for that app and carry that when i have to go out

Last edited:
I was reading an article on yahoo about two weeks ago that said there was a government study of mobile activity to tell whether people were staying at home during the coranavirus lockdown. Ok it may not be a fully intrusive study, but it shows that they do pay attention to your mobile use.

The Mrs leaves hers at home now when she goes out. :)

Look at one of the graphs, shows who accesses info about public transport, walking or car directions as in sat nav etc . You are watched 24/7 , maybe not in real time but if they want to see where you have been they can.

Back